Help!!! What's that oil that comes with electric trimmers/shavers?

Walking Man

BANNED
Hello. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I putting here, and if it belongs elsewhere, I'm sorry.
I recently bought two sets of clippers, one for hair, the other for beards (it's smaller).
Both of them included some kind of clear razor oil, but it only included a small package, and the Oster recommends adding it before every use, So, I think I'll probably run out pretty soon, depending on how much hair I cut. I suspect it's mineral oil, but I'd like to be sure so I don't ruin it. Even if it's not mineral oil, would mineral oil be a good substitute?
Anyway, thanks for the help.
Have a great day. :)

I'm fairly sure that its a special oil. At least there are various forms and brands of it available in all of my tack catalogs that carry shears/clippers.
If you do a search on Oster, you can probably find a site online that sells it in bigger bottles.

If you have a saddle/tack shop nearby you should definitely be able to find some there. Provided you don't mind getting something that was intended for horses :D

If you or anyone else knows of an acceptable substitute I'd appreciate it. Any ideas, anyone?

3 in 1 oil might do the trick. Go to a barber shop or dog grooming place, they should be able to hook you up with some.

I have a pair myself, I shave my head every week with them. Cheap, easy, fast. I also broke the bottle the first time I opened the package. I have never used anything but RemOil and havent had any trouble or lost any hair.

uhhh . . . oh that's right, there was oil in the package originally wasn't there? Hmm, well, I've been cutting my hair monthly or so with an electric clipper for 2+ years without ever remembering to oil it so far, without a problem yet . . .

i used my militec on mine . But it is a light oil. So sewing machine oil would work perfect . As long as you use oil you will be fine . Just use light oil. Why the concern ???? Its not like its a watch or rocket ship .

I dont think it needs to be oiled everytime you use it . Once a week or month is just fine.

I use Singer sewing machine oil every time. About 4 years so far on my Remington with no problems.

maximus otter

usually the thing can go for a long time without oiling, but after awhile it starts making weird noises and i think it starts heating up faster cause it's not lubricated.

Even if you use 3 in 1 it won't really get all over your hair. Just use a little and wipe off the excess, turn on the shaver, and wipe again and you should be good to go. Hell you have to wash your hair after you cut it anyways right

I used a Wahl hair clipper from 1984 to early 2003, cutting my crew cut an average of once every 3 weeks, without oiling the clipper during that time and had no problems. It finally died on me early this year. I hate oiling them because it causes the cut hair to stick to the thin film of oil on the blades. That makes the blades sort of gum up during cutting. I get much better cuts without oiling mine.

You don't actually put oil on the cutting part of the blades. You turn the clipper so its sideways, and put a small drop of oil on the edge where the two flats meet behind the teeth and give it a second to work its way through. Keeps them from heating up.

Originally posted by Kennieyk
i used my militec on mine . But it is a light oil. So sewing machine oil would work perfect . As long as you use oil you will be fine . Just use light oil. Why the concern ???? Its not like its a watch or rocket ship .

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2250792#post2250792

BE CAREFUL!!!! Get that militech off of there ASAP!!!!! It's funny that you were the forumite to ask me "Why the concern", when you are using militech........
Anyhow, my concern..... I just want to make sure I'm doing things right, and I'd really rather not mail away for oil if I can use a quick and easy replacement oil.
Also, as usual, I am correct in my assumption that a few of you guys or gals might know a few things I don't. SO THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!

It's a very light grade machine oil, commonly refered to as sewing-machine oil, too. Heavier oils like 3-in-1 will work, but for longevity, the high speeds involved with the trimmers and machines like sewing machines require a very light grade of oil to keep them working the longest, with the least damage being done to oil-sensitive parts...
Didn't somebody else just use MILTEC1 on their Wahl clippers over on the G,B&U and ruined it...?

edited to say the thread I was refering to is the link in the previous post... oooops....

Back