HELP WITH HOMEMADE GRINDER ! ? !

Does anyone know of a way to mount an 8" Wilton contact wheel directly to the shaft of an electric motor ? I'm trying to put together a grinder similar to the K-Cut offered in Kovals or the D-5000 found in Texas Knifemakers Supply catalog. I'm buying a 10" wheel for my Square Wheel and want to utilize the 8" wheel. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks-
Dave

[This message has been edited by MOBILE1 (edited 04-02-2001).]

Buy one of those arbor adapters for motors, and a set of grinding wheel shims. What size hole is in the wheel?

------------------
Sola Fide

MikeS- The wheel is set up with a 3" long ,
3/4" shaft that is encased by a bearing and retaining rings. This shaft extends out and is clamped into the grinders head casting. I want to keep using the bearing setup and remove the shaft- so I'm left with a 3/4" hole. If I use shims I'll be bypassing the whole bearing setup won't I? I guess I need an arber adapter that will end with a 3/4"shaft that will accept the Wilton bearing configuration. Or maybe an adapter with a set screw setup that would accept the short shaft if I left it on ? What do you think? Dave

Dave,you don't need bearings for drive wheels.They must be fixed to the motor.You will have to make or have made an adapter to get the proper shaft size.Dave

Dave-- Thanks for setting me straight! I feel pretty stupid- I guess I would have figured it out eventually! I'm going to use the bearing set up from the 8" wheel on the 10" which I will buy without the bearing . Thanks again

Back