Help with Identification-Naval Axe? All Iron Spike Tomahawk

Hello:

I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.

Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.

Any comments would be appreciated.

help-with-identification-naval-axe-all-iron-spike-tomahawk.175177

When I saw your title, I thought “boarding axe”. But the few of those I’ve seen have a much wider rockered bit and a much narrower spike, and are bigger. They also featured wooden handles with langets or steel sleeves below the head.

Your piece looks farm forged to me.

Parker

Interesting piece. I can only guess what its intended purpose is/was. Look closely at the eye:
It appears that it is shaped like the eye of a single bit axe or hatchet. The handle, however, has a very different cross section. I suspect the two parts did not start out life together, but, rather, were married at a later date, perhaps in a farm shop. I'm just guessing. T-A

Thank you but the there is a blade profile and a thin chisel/spike. There is no hammer end or hammer profile whatsoever.

The head profile, with pointed ears, thin eye walls and hand forging, is similar to blacksmith pieces from the 18th century/early 19th century. Even seen on some spike tomahawks. I suspect the two pieces were married together at a later point, as the prior post pointed to. The piece comes from Pittsford, NY which was contested ground between 1687 and 1814 between French, English, Seneca Allies and Americans. No coal mines, railroads, etc. in that venue during the time period the piece was likely made. Likely not a rock hammer. I've used a few.

I think it looks like a pick that has been reheated on one side and hammered into a narrow axe head, then had the handle forge welded into the eye, if that possible……idk, just a guess.

Back