Help with Tiger Striping Info

Guys,
I have been thinking lately that it would be really cool to tiger stripe my Emerson Commander blade that is a hard chromed finish.
Would this be possible to do? If so, who could/would be willing to do this to a blade? I just love the look of the Strider blades, and would really like to know if anyone could help. Yes, Striders rule, but I love my Emersons too!
Could someone also give a short explanation of how this is done to a blade? Thanks for any info guys.

Razor.... Do a search for tiger stripes and see what pops up for you there are a lot of post on this subject. Also I dont know if anybody does a hard chrome version. As far as Strider goes do a search that should give you a good start on the info you are looking for.

If my understanding is right the way Strider tiger stripes is this. WHen the blade is heat treated, black is left on the surface of the steel... in my experiance, its the knife makers job to polish that off... and its pretty tough to polish off, doesnt just rub off. So, I believe Strider takes the blades and puts resist (something to protect areas of the blade) on where black is wanted left, and then the rest is bead blasted. Peel the resist, and Viola! tiger stripes.

Obviously, doing an Emerson like that wont work.

Perhaps you could have it bead-blasted, and then apply something like Tool Black over the bead blasting in the shape of your tiger stripes.

of if its a black blade, have it selectively blasted, to leave black stripes... should work.. I think.

I've got an idea! Why don't you ask someone in the Emerson forum? And when you buy a Strider you can ask questions about it here on the Strider forum.

Vinnie,

You are so full of bright ideas. Sorry to offend you. Just thought the Strider guys could help me with a few simple questions.

Hi Vince!!!
How are you my friend?:D

I would have the blade black oxided.
Then you can blast the stripes...don't use resist, just do it freehand...makes the edges look better...

m

Back