HI goes to war.

Here's an excerpt of an email I sent to one of my pals, a hero who served in Nam. It explains how I feel and what I'm doing.

==================
I bought a new theater system and have been trying it out. I perhaps made a mistake by watching a dvd version of "Apocalypse Now" again yesterday.

So few have a real understanding of war, what we ask and sometimes force men to do, and the resulting consequences. I have the perspective of WWII and every war since and war is war regardless of what the governments choose to call it. Viet Nam wins the most disgusting award hands down.

We saw in "Apocalypse Now" a fine miltary man, destined for perhaps great things and high command, who because of what the war had done to him end up murdered by one of his own. The chief who captained the riverrat boat reminded me of my old pal, Vern Ellerbee, a Chief Bosun's Mate who captained a boat on the Mekong for almost 5 years and then "retired" abruptly after 24 years honorable service only to get off the plane at SFO and have hippies spit at him and throw eggs at him. He "exists" in self imposed solitary confinement today with every ailment agent orange can give a man without killing him.

In the dark days of WWII following Pearl Harbar I realized that my original prediction that we would defeat the Japanese in 6 weeks was seriously flawed. When my grandfather took down his 1896 Winchester .38, test fired it and oiled it up and assured a goodly supply of ammo and said, "we may end up fighting those dirty bastards right here," I was fearful. Who would keep the enemy away from hearth and home? Who would keep the invaders from killing grandfather, grandmother, father, and from raping and then killing mother?

Only our military could do this so I followed their activity closely and cheered them on at every victory and worried deeply at news items such as Wake Island and Bataan. And I learned to love, honor and respect them because they were saving my life and my way of life. I have never lost this feeling.

====================

I'm sending Sarge 10 or 12 khukuris tomorrow. 6 are paid for and the rest are from HI. There's not a man or woman among the HI staff who will disagree with what I'm doing. It's the least we can do.

Godspeed, brothers. If you can get me signed up I'll lock up shop for a few months, go with you and guarantee to get you every damned thing you need and some booze and other goodies, to boot.

Dropping a check in the mail tomorrow. Use it to send Sarge and his crew something. Hope this helps.

and raping Mother. How old is one when he figures that out? What a sick sad world.

munk

Uncle, I will do my damnedest to honor you and all those who are so unselfishly giving by making sure these blades wind up in hands that will use them.

In Afghanistan my squadron supported the 10th Mountain and 82d Airborne divisions. Both fine units, but this time we'll have a very unique opportunity. We are attached to the Army's Third Mobile Armored Corps here at Fort Hood. III Corps is sending one of it's combat divisions, the 4th Infantry Division, to the fight and we're going to support them with close air support. These are home folks Uncle, friends, neighbors, and in some cases quite literally family. The other day at the railhead, there stands one of my supply sergeants, waiting to load her five ton cargo truck onto a rail car, side by side with her husband, a 4th ID combat engineer waiting to load his bulldozer. Both motivated, proud to serve, and glad to be going to the fight. It would take a much harder heart than mine to not be touched by it.

I'll do my dead level best to get those khuks out to the guys that are going, Army, Air Force, or otherwise. And Saddam, if you're listening, there's a tornado full of steel tipped whoop ass headed your way from Texas. Run while you can Bubba, it won't do you no good to run later.

Sarge

Give 'em hell, Sarge.

My son is in final stage of Apache Longbow flight school. He knows he is headed to the front where ever it is. He's told me all of the pilots are fired up and ready. They will unlease a hell that has not been seen by man.

I pray for all of you and I would give anything to be able to go.

Semp --

Thanks all; thanks Semper Fi, thank you all by your faith caring bout a wretch like me.

munk

May God Bless you and your fellow warriors. I wore the uniform for many years and now my oldest son is wearing the uniform. Will keep you all in our prayers. Thank you Uncle for sending the khuks. Guess they are getting somewhat popular with some of the troops.

I think everybody on the forum knows that I would go in a heart beat if they would let me.

Make sure the powder is dry and watch your backsides, Keep a khuk handy at night. Sarge.

Thanks Uncle Bill. :)

10 khukuris are in the air. Tell your men to test them heavily, Sarge. The guys should know what they will do and how to do it.

Will do Uncle. I've got a big old wooden footlocker that I'm filling up with blades to pass out. With each khuk the guys will get a handout I've thrown together with some general information about Khuks, Himalayan Imports, how to test their knives, and how to maintain them in the field. At the same time I'll have them fill out a little questionaire so we can learn a little about them to maybe post later.

Rusty, I'm adding nearly every khuk I've got into the mix, so I'd like to know if it's okay with you if the BAS and WWII are passed on to new owners. Only knives I won't turn loose of are my Dhankhuta Kothimoda, my Pen Knife, and the 15" Siru I plan to tote this trip. Well, that and my trusty Kagas Katne that Uncle Bill gave me.:D

Sarge

Pappy- you crazy sucker. People like you who willingly serve in combat are about a half hair's breath away from being poets- same damn understanding of the universe.

A lot of folks don't know that about Marines- but I figured it out a long time ago. Shake a division upside down and watch all the freaks, poets, and genius's fall out. It is so.

munk

Originally posted by munk

A lot of folks don't know that about Marines- but I figured it out a long time ago. Shake a division upside down and watch all the freaks, poets, and genius's fall out. It is so.

munk

I would go too if it wasn't for my back injuries, don't think I could strap a pack on these days. ;)

Anyway that's a young mans job these days, at 38 I don't think I would want to go back at my old rank.:D

Show me the supply depots and give me a computer. Nobody will run out of anything. I can't carry the supplies anymore but I'll find a way to get them to those who need them. Hell, I ain't too old to sit on my fanny, punch a keyboard and make calls to the Chief Supply Officer and I have my own ways of getting stuff that ain't on the list --like beer and Scotch. Better sign me up.

To Pappy and all the other old war horses ( better mind my p's and q's, I'll be joining y'all soon enough:D ) that would love to be going with us, let me say this; don't worry, you will be. You've served your country well, and wherever it's flag flies you are there brothers. The future belongs to the young, but only because of the courage and sacrifice of those who've gone before.

firstflagmed.gif

Sarge

I'm so glad I stopped to check the forums out this morning. Uncle Bill, I already knew that you're one of the good guys in more ways than one, but I'm impressed beyond words today. People like yourself and all of the others on this forum are what make this job worthwhile at least part of the time. I only wish that I were in a unit that was making more of a difference instead of sitting here like bumps on a log. I may get my wish sooner than I would like though, so maybe I'd better keep my mouth shut. And Sarge, best of luck and Godspeed. I have you and all the other soldiers over there in my prayers.

Road, you're doing your duty as it was given to you. Somebody has to do the job and you're doing it. You can't do more than that. And stay tuned. Things may heat up in your part of the world.

Small world Roadrunner:D My youngest brother is there now for the second time. Oldest brother and kid brother both pulled a hitch there too. I never went there, which is probably good, four different versions of sergeant Sikes would no doubt confuse the populace.:rolleyes:

Like Uncle said, you wouldn't be there if you weren't needed, so stand tall and walk proud brother.

Sarge

I am sad that it has come to this again. War is not an easy thing to do and many are the views an in the end death and heartbreak to many. I can say that it is an honor to serve but often the realites of combat are far from honorable or noble. Very often in combat the only thing I wanted is to get the job done and get home safe. I have seen much over the last 23 years both personally and throught my friends in arms. One thing that stays in my mind is how history repeats itself and how we are friends one day and then mortal enemies the next. I know several who served in Iraq as Marine Recon / Army 82nd observers and trainers in the Iraq / Iran war on the Iraqi side. They spent many months there in live training with Iraqi soldiers and grew very close to some in their training cadre.It was with great disgust that they later fought the same troops they trained. It is good to do your duty and I applaud you. But do not hate your enemy an treat your prisoner with the respect you would expect if your caught. They also are doing their job as they see fit and that also is just to their eyes.
This is my country for better or worse and so I served with eyes wide open.
Sorry if i offend anyone but I some experience in death and have bad dreams of doing bad things and wonder if it was worth it.

Back