Hidden Pin Construction - A2 Tantos in Progress

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm using hidden micarta pins on these for a super clean look. The hidden pins take a while to get just right but I can't wait to see the results!

Gonna be another epic ride in the Fairly shop! These are the super duper thin Tantos right? So slicy.

Gonna be another epic ride in the Fairly shop! These are the super duper thin Tantos right? So slicy.

:D Thanks!

Yes, .062" thin and slicey! I keep saying I will keep a knife for myself and this design is another one I made to carry... super light and thin. They are high hardness for great edge holding, probably 61 plus RC.

^ Yep! :D

Coyote Brown n bottom then Natural Canvas Micarta, Vintage Linen Micarta, Ironwood with Black G10 liners, Ironwood with Red G10 Liners!

The Vintage Linen Micarta is the stuff you sent me Rolf... it looks great! Thanks again

Dang! Which one??
You are welcome, Daniel. I have a 'lil more, if you ever want it.

What are the specs on them? Steel and size?

Do they all have owners yet?

Can the price be discussed here or email only?

According to the last thread I found about these here

"A2 Tantos! Super Slicey, .062" thick with a high hollow chisel grind - Still rough..."

No word on length from the man.

What are the specs on them? Steel and size?

Do they all have owners yet?

Can the price be discussed here or email only?
Hi Simioh!

I need to run to the shop and measure them but they are about 7" long with 4" handles and 3" blades... 1" tall. 1/16" thin A2 steel at about 61 RC hardness... sole authorship by me!

The micarta and ironwood/black liners are still available. I'm asking $175 for either micarta and the ironwood is $225. The ironwood one is a bit bigger than the rest... I'll measure them soon. They all vary just a bit. A Custom Kydex wrap around sheath and US Priority shipping is included.

These will be stonewashed and have sand blasted micarta or polished Ironwood... I'm still debating exposing a front pin with a chamfer for sheath retention.

Just don't grind the scales down too far!

Lookin good bud:thumbup:

-X

That's the key! It took all afternoon to do the drilling, it would usually take maybe 30 minutes. I didn't want to go too far!

Dang! Which one??
You are welcome, Daniel. I have a 'lil more, if you ever want it.

Thanks Rolf! The offer is much appreciated, we can talk a trade later. This stuff is cool!

The vintage material is the third up, it is a bit redder than the natural canvas below. Reminds me of vintage guitars...

And, Daniel backs all his work.
:)

That's right! :D

Are these zero ground or do they have a secondary bevel? Hard to tell...

^ Good question. They will get a secondary bevel but just have the main one in the pics as I generally sharpen as my last step.

Gotcha, Daniel!
Was the vintage Micarta hard to work and did you mill it into thinner sections?

Got it! Have you tested one of these yet? I bet they're lasers.

I have tested the heat treat with a coupon and some knives from this ht batch of A2 but not these yet. I'm waiting on new belts to sharpen first. The edge geometry is awesome, I'm really happy with the grinds...

Gotcha, Daniel!
Was the vintage Micarta hard to work and did you mill it into thinner sections?

Yes the vintage micarta was tough to cut and grind, drilled very nicely though. Micarta is probably 3-4 times as hard to grind as G10 and CF compared grinds like butter. The older the micarta the tougher it seems to get , at least on my end. Paper micarta grinds slower than most hardened steel!

I'll grind it thinner as it is probably 3/8 thick and I am using ~1/4 on these. I'm going to grind the scales down from the back as to keep the outer part ore intact, it might show some color variation from aging that way. :D

Thanks, Daniel. I'm just so glad you are using it.
Do you have me down for a DF Coyote?

word? Love to see a progress shot of one of these or a phase going on.. or a knife stuck in something :D

Back