"Hillbilly Blood: A Hardscrabble Life

I've seen a few eps of this show and I find it entertaining but even a "city boy" like me knows this show is fake just like how 99.9% of all "reality TV" is. Still a fun watch (for me anyways) when there is nothing else on.

The saga of Eugene and Spencer.... catch a bunch of stocked trout (probably exceeded their daily limits by the way) and they make a smoker. That happens a lot in the Appalachains. :) I know that the show is contrived but I still find it kind of fun. The moonshiner show never really caught my interest, but I know there are people like that. That $650 used chainsaw made me chuckle when you can buy a brand new one for $300 that would have served them equally well.

I found the gold mining shows really interesting. The commercial fishing shows (Alaska and East Coast) kind of boring after a while. Watched the first year of the Alaska king crab fishing just about every week. It was something new to me and as a result interesting. River Monsters is the one show that I can watch the episodes over and over again. I do the same thing with Star Trek. Jeremy Wade does a good job. The Oklahoma noodlin' was certainly interesting and Jeremy's comments reflect mine... a bit frightening and dangerous to me unless you are doing it to survive.

The Turtleman (Ernie Brown) is certainly entertaining at times but he turns me off. (Probably has something to do with his teeth and stupid yell.) He does stupid crazy things. Guess he is a big star now Lebanon KY.

The reality shows are certainly interesting and I find myself choosing to watch them a lot in general over regular TV programing. All things get old, even Survivorman and Bear Grylls.

The Greenland gold and precious gem show was certainly interesting if somewhat boring even though the producers tried to make it interesting with the interaction of the people involved. I watched it every week and watched some episodes a number of times. Looks like nearly an impossible place to survive without the infrastructure of humans. I believe those boys pretty much struck it rich in Greenland even though the show wasn't so entertaining show to show... pretty much the same thing and six episodes was enough.

The saga of Eugene and Spencer.... catch a bunch of stocked trout (probably exceeded their daily limits by the way) and they make a smoker. That happens a lot in the Appalachains. :) I know that the show is contrived but I still find it kind of fun. The moonshiner show never really caught my interest, but I know there are people like that. That $650 used chainsaw made me chuckle when you can buy a brand new one for $300 that would have served them equally well.

I found the gold mining shows really interesting. The commercial fishing shows (Alaska and East Coast) kind of boring after a while. Watched the first year of the Alaska king crab fishing just about every week. It was something new to me and as a result interesting. River Monsters is the one show that I can watch the episodes over and over again. I do the same thing with Star Trek. Jeremy Wade does a good job. The Oklahoma noodlin' was certainly interesting and Jeremy's comments reflect mine... a bit frightening and dangerous to me unless you are doing it to survive.

The Turtleman (Ernie Brown) is certainly entertaining at times but he turns me off. (Probably has something to do with his teeth and stupid yell.) He does stupid crazy things. Guess he is a big star now Lebanon KY.

The reality shows are certainly interesting and I find myself choosing to watch them a lot in general over regular TV programing. All things get old, even Survivorman and Bear Grylls.

The Greenland gold and precious gem show was certainly interesting if somewhat boring even though the producers tried to make it interesting with the interaction of the people involved. I watched it every week and watched some episodes a number of times. Looks like nearly an impossible place to survive without the infrastructure of humans. I believe those boys pretty much struck it rich in Greenland even though the show wasn't so entertaining show to show... pretty much the same thing and six episodes was enough.

I actually really enjoy Call of the Wildman. I know a lot of stuff is added for dramatization but you gotta be a little nuts to pick up a wild possum with your bare hands. I also like show Gator Boys and I havent' seen all the eps, River Monsters is a pretty interesting watch.

It's funny I used to make fun of reality shows but other than The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory, the only shows I watch anymore are reality shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Call or the Wildman etc.

Actually, picking up a opossum with your hands is a daily occurrence for trappers and no big deal at all. They are slow moving, docile and you can handle them by the tail or back of the head/neck very easily without getting bitten. Not so with a raccoon or other animals though.

Been watching Hillbilly Blood today and noticed in several eps that Spencer carries a khukri knife. Anyone know which brand it is? I'm almost certain it's an Ontario kuk but not 100% sure.

I chuckled as he "chipped" away at that hickory for their smoker with the khukri. It does look like an Ontario, but I'm no expert.

The gas generator was amazing. :D I want to watch that show again.
Broke his tomahawk trying to break a weld... maybe he should try using a hammer sometime. The show isn't bad really. Rubies and Saphires.... Eugene has a private spot.

Was trying to figure out why they were hiking to deliver medicine. I was expecting a shack in the woods, but it was a fairly decent house. Had to have access with a 4x4. The shelter was nice, but I don't think those twigs that Eugene first used supported all the weight. They needed to get Spencer wet as they spent the night in their lean to and three inches of rain fell and Eugene could make him a grass coat. But what the heck, it's TV.

Do some research! Check out http://www.lotswild.com/

Its just my opinion and only my opinion, but, I think that schools a joke, a tax dodge, or just a way for someone to say they are a teacher and not have to work.

As far as eustis goes I wouldn't trust him with my dog, you can see it in his eyes, all he's trying to do is manipulate people into doing whatever he wants or needs.

If it wasn't for this show,(hillbilly blood) eugene would be back to eating out of a hubcap under a bridge somewhere.

the show is a joke.

remember this is just my opinion, not stating any sort of fact, just my opinion.

If it wasn't for this show,(hillbilly blood) eugene would be back to eating out of a hubcap under a bridge somewhere.

Don't hold back on us. :D

And Spencer wouldn't have a new truck.

I liked the show when they made the smoker, the old man they got the fridg from was funny, especially when he said he would blow their nuts off!

I stumbled across this websites posts and couldnt believe the negitive comments by everyone about the show and its host. I do appreciate everyones different points of view. On that note, I would like to offer the "other side of the argument" for one, the hosts are NOT related. They are not "brothers" in the traditional since. the second, there is a reason they dont act "hillbilly" they are educated men! READ THIShttp://www.hcpress.com/people-2/canton-man-goes-from-small-town-middle-school-teacher-to-co-host-of-new-reality-televsion-series.html

The show never implied that this was REAL, it does imply however, how one can live with little or nothing. How to "get by" with only the things you can find lying around or aquire by a few trades. It showes how one doesnt have to rely on modern technoligy to get by in this life...

This show as well as ALL television should be taken as it original design, TO ENTERTAIN us, perhaps educate, but nothing more than that. Take it for what it is, entertainment.......

I stumbled across this websites posts and couldnt believe the negitive comments by everyone about the show and its host. I do appreciate everyones different points of view. On that note, I would like to offer the "other side of the argument" for one, the hosts are NOT related. They are not "brothers" in the traditional since. the second, there is a reason they dont act "hillbilly" they are educated men! READ THIShttp://www.hcpress.com/people-2/canton-man-goes-from-small-town-middle-school-teacher-to-co-host-of-new-reality-televsion-series.html

The show never implied that this was REAL, it does imply however, how one can live with little or nothing. How to "get by" with only the things you can find lying around or aquire by a few trades. It showes how one doesnt have to rely on modern technoligy to get by in this life...

This show as well as ALL television should be taken as it original design, TO ENTERTAIN us, perhaps educate, but nothing more than that. Take it for what it is, entertainment.......

I read what you linked to and would like to add another opinion to my post above,

Self Aggrandizing, (first time I ever used that word in a sentence, thanks for the opportunity). ninjitsu master:rolleyes:

I stand by my other opinions(see post above)

yet another one post member.

The show never implied that this was REAL, it does imply however, how one can live with little or nothing. How to "get by" with only the things you can find lying around or acquire by a few trades. It shows how one doesn't have to rely on modern technology to get by in this life...

The show implies it, but does a poor job of demonstrating it.

there is a reason they don't act "hillbilly" they are educated men!

And they became educated and successful without the assistance of modern technology? :rolleyes:

My Momma grew up in WV and, as one of 14 kids, she went shoeless all summer, had shoes made out of tires the rest of the year, ate more possum, groundhog and fish, than pork, chicken and beef, and, I can tell you as the direct descendant of real, backwoods hillbillies, them ain't hillbillies.

Back