History of Cold Steel Trail Masters (and Recon Scout)

I’ve been trying to figure out/confirm what steel this Recon Scout is. Anyone care to check it out? Was told it is O-1, but elsewhere SK-5
Thank you for any assistance
P.S. it is a SecureEx sheath

Recon Scout Imgur Uploads
As far as I know, anything with O-1 was marked as such, so I would say yours is most likely SK-5.

I found a fascinating tidbit hiding in the archives. I hope its not a rehash, as I've never heard it before. It explains the limited production Carbon V Trailmasters made in Seki, Japan. See post #7 Old Bladeforums TM Thread

Hey Tatsu, your Trailmaster in Carbon V was made in Seki Japan. About 5 years ago + or - Cold Steel had a problem with their workers (rumor was about pay) and Cold Steel decided to have the Japanese have a try at making the Trailmaster. According to the Special Projects Catalog where I remember these Japanese Carbon V blades being sold, these paticular Trailmasters didn't meet Cold Steels Specs...however they weren't factory seconds either. So Special Projects division of Cold Steel sold them through their catalog and Cold Steel had the Trailmaster made in the US again...so thats the Trailmaster you have, a Carbon V sort of limited edition of Japanese make...hope this helps!

Carbon V Trail Master with black epoxy-coated blade/guard - #16CB

nX36ykgl.jpg

Period: 2002 - 2006

Blade Steel: Carbon V

Blade Markings (stamped):

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL USA

p2FS4JBl.jpg

Sheath: Black leather, with strap that goes over guard

==================================================================================

San Mai III Trail Master - #16JSM

O1CDQSYl.jpg

Period: 1998 - 2005 (San Mai III); 2006 – Present (VG-1 San Mai III)

Blade Steel: San Mai III and VG-1 San Mai III; convex edge

Blade Markings: There are 2 versions that I know of:

1) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

S7NVEQ6l.jpg

2) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
VG-1 SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

wSMyaVll.jpg

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon

==================================================================================

Carbon V Recon Scout

Since the Recon Scout is basically just a shortened TM, I figured I would include it as well. I believe there are 3 versions of the CV Recon Scout:

1. First pre-production batch that was only available to the military for Desert Storm. Has the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and a slight recurve blade. Wasn’t even called the Recon Scout yet, and there were no markings on the knife (sterile). The blade had more of a parkerized finish than the later epoxy coating.

UqZaGNTl.jpg
usxjiKPl.jpg

Period: 1990 – 1991

Blade Markings: None

2. First production version offered to the public. Was still Gen 1, and was now called the Recon Scout, but they were still sterile, and the recurve was gone. Blade was epoxy-coated. The 1992 catalog says that they were a Special Projects exclusive. I don’t believe they even came in a box, just a bag, and included a little blue info card. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are missing the card.

vfW3pf5l.jpg
3iHSnBgl.jpg

Comparison of recurve version (top) and regular version (bottom):

UfFnzW5l.jpg

Period: 1992 – 1994. It is shown in the 1992 Special Projects catalog and the 93/94 catalog.

Blade Markings: None

3. Final CV version, with Gen 2 ricasso/choil, epoxy coating, and markings.

60FOnPAl.jpg
QYCdtXLl.jpg

Period: 1995 – 2006

Blade Markings (stamped):

1) Side 1:
COLD STEEL

Side 2:
USA CARBON V

vH93FMil.jpg

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon (1990 – 1997); Black leather (1998 – 2003); Secure-Ex (2004 – 2006)

Misc: I acquired a very unusual Recon Scout off eBay a while back. It had the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and was parkerized like the recurved version, but didn’t have the recurve, and it had large “billboard” markings on both sides of the blade. Only one I’ve ever seen, so thinking it may be some sort of prototype or promotional piece.

7g8JgY1l.jpg
hPOE8L2l.jpg

On the one side it is pretty easy to read COLD STEEL with VENTURA CA underneath. On the other side, can see RECON SCOUT easily enough, but underneath is not complete. Can make out what looks like ARBON and TEEL, so pretty sure it said CARBON V STEEL.

C2CbXD0l.jpg
Thank you VERY MUCH for all this effort!
MUCH APPRECIATED
!!!

Bring back all C.S info forums !

Back