Hog Hunting Trip Questions

I love the "Custom Knives at Work" thread but I didn't want to derail it with my questions. I see a lot of you hunt pigs. My brother and I will be doing a hog hunt in the next few months and we need recommendations for guided hunt outfits. We are interested in using the knives I made but we would also like to use handguns on other days as well. We're not interested in a canned hunt. My brother has done some research on places but a lot of them have negative reviews. We need experienced guides with well trained dogs. We're coming from NY but hunts in any state will be considered. Thanks.

There's a great one in Argentina ! Their suggestion for a knife is 8-12" blade with a strong point and guard. Their dogs are well trained but some are lost. The pigs there are European imports , big and nasty !

Are you wanting to kill a hog with a knife??????
I'm not sure a reputable outfitter will allow it due to liability reasons.

Thanks mete! I'd love to head down to Argentina but we're looking for something a little closer to home this time. :D

Yes, wanting to hunt hogs with knives. A lot of outfitters offer it. We'll be careful. I promise.;)

Any other suggestions for places in the USA?

Check out Tom Walker in Florida or Osceola Outfitters. Some good hunting in Georgia also around Long county.

Thanks WS. I'll pass that along to my brother. He's booking the trip.

Still open to other suggestions.

Also..., check out Rusty Knife Kennels on Facebook or YouTube. They guide hog hunts out of Ludowici, Georgia. Good luck !!!

The first one I ever heard of back in the 90's was Larry Harley of Bristol Pine, Tennessee. Far as I know, he's still doing it. He's a knifemaker himself, so that might add to experience.

Just another man's two pennies, so take it for what it's worth. If y'all have never been hog hunting before, go pistols first day then knife second. I only say that so you really know what you're getting into with all those teeth and tusks flying around. If you guys have hog hunted before, disregard and stay safe.

The dogs find , chase , catch and hold the hog. The hunter then runs in and stabs the hog. NEVER hesitate ! There was a TV type who hesitated and lost the hog. The next show he had learned -no hesitation and he got his hog !

The most interesting and educational posts I've read are on Accurate Reloading with JuanPozzi in Argentina. Serious hogs, serious dogs and hunters !

i wanna use dogs, horses, and a spear. they used to have pig sticking clubs in india and 'lanka. a somewhat cruel way to kill a boar, though.

pigsticking.jpg

nice looking trophy (the kadir cup.) note the boar on the cap.

pigstickingKadirCup.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, my brother finally booked a trip. We'll be heading down to North Carolina to Cribs Creek Outfitters in March for a two day hunt. One day will be with knives and the other will be night hunting with AR10's I think. There are some good testimonials on their webpage but that doesn't mean much. I'm going to expect that they're good people until I hear otherwise. Does anybody here have any experience with this outfitter?

Back