Holster talk…..

Monofletch

Basic Member
In the Army my issue weapon was a pistol and as tank crewmen we used shoulder holsters. Those are great for thinner autos. But a large frame revolver might not be ideal for a shoulder harness. I could be wrong.

I am currently looking for a new holster for my Taurus 66 .357. I just ordered a Fobus Paddle holster. I have used paddle style before and they are okay for non CCW/open carry. But it might be junk. I have been using an old Uncle Mikes holster, but it finally broke.

Feel free to recommend what works for you.

Do you want a CCW holster? A woods walking holster?
A chest rig is good for carrying large frame revolvers openly in the woods. DeSantis and Bianchi make high quality holsters.

As a fellow that literally has drawers full of CCW holsters that didn't make the cut, I'd advise you to buy inexpensive holsters while figuring out where you'd like to carry (shoulder, hip, etc.). Once you know where it's most comfortable/practical for your needs, then you can go down the rabbit hole searching for fancier holsters.

Generally, I no longer buy fancy or expensive holsters. The wait times are often long (for leather and Kydex), custom makers are not good at giving you what was agreed upon in a reasonable time frame, the prices are high, and they have zero chance of being more comfortable or practical than a $30 dollar holster available at your LGS.

Nothing wrong with a fancy holster though, just like there's nothing wrong with wanting to own fancy knives. :) If the paddle holster worked for you, you might like a pancake holster like eveled eveled posted. For a right-handed person, a 3:00 paddle holster is a pretty safe bet.

Kramer makes some really tough and thin horsehide gear, but you're likely to wait up to a year to get one. DeSantis makes decent stuff that is readily available. Of course, there are a ton of inexpensive options on Amazon.

So are you looking for an OWB or "open carry" holster? Or IWB?

Regardless, if you're looking for a reasonably priced Kydex holster, I'd look at Vedder, Muddy River Tactical or Dara holsters. Good turnaround times (generally < 2 weeks) and they all offer a variety of OWB and IWB options.

I would agree that what your plans are and how you want to carry can affect your holster choice. This comes from over 43 years of daily carry both open and concealed. What works for me is a strong side pancake style holster:

iUu78SG.jpg

kZVG3aY.jpg

ip6nvVa.jpg

wIy8Y9T.jpg

Being a rancher and spending a good deal of time horseback I had a little different requirements for a holster then someone that was just running to the store and getting a carton of milk. The holster needs to be comfortable for long periods of time, close fitting and not floppy, with excellent retention, yet still providing easy access. For me the pancake style has fit the bill.

gWTPdvV.jpg

E8SMMI0.jpg

NKwqtVZ.jpg

lorEsRC.jpg

WI9xy9d.jpg

rOQDQ25.jpg

YdILLry.jpg

VJNIFk7.jpg

9r2uSqz.jpg

Anyhoo ya get the idea. Kinda what works on this outfit.

I’ve got a huge box of holsters also. Like above I would start cheap.

On the other hand I’m looking for a kydex cross draw for a revolver if anyone knows of any.

In the Army my issue weapon was a pistol and as tank crewmen we used shoulder holsters. Those are great for thinner autos. But a large frame revolver might not be ideal for a shoulder harness. I could be wrong.

I am currently looking for a new holster for my Taurus 66 .357. I just ordered a Fobus Paddle holster. I have used paddle style before and they are okay for non CCW/open carry. But it might be junk. I have been using an old Uncle Mikes holster, but it finally broke.

Feel free to recommend what works for you.
I've used a fobus paddle holster to carry my Glock 20 for several years now. It's not a daily carry piece, but the holster isn't trash by any means.

As I said. I live in an open carry state. This holster is for hikes and when I need my revolver for protection (bears or sketchy crack heads) I should have my Fobus paddle holster tomorrow. I’m thinking it is exactly what I’m looking for. We’ll see.

I need open carry. Easy access! 😊

What works for me is a strong side pancake style holster
I agree, I think the pancake has the best stability. It has 2 points of contact with the belt and those 2 points are spread far apart. Plastic holsters are the rage these days and a lot of them have one belt clip that won't offer any stability to keep the holster from rotating. I don't understand why the plastic makers don't provide 2 clips instead of one except that maybe they want to save the cost of the additional clip. Also don't skimp on the length of the holster, that is the part that keeps the gun tucked tight to your body.

As I said. I live in an open carry state. This holster is for hikes and when I need my revolver for protection (bears or sketchy crack heads) I should have my Fobus paddle holster tomorrow. I’m thinking it is exactly what I’m looking for. We’ll see.

I need open carry. Easy access! 😊
I have used paddle holsters in the past. And while they are great for on and off situations I didn't find any that would of been stable enough for outdoor use such as hiking etc. Where they really shine is that long road trip where the pistol might be in the door pocket or stuck between the seats and ya stop for fuel. Pop that paddle holster on, under your untucked shirt and go on in to grab a soda, use the restroom and pay for your fuel. Ready to leave, pull that paddle holster off put the pistol back where ya had it and off ya go.

Don't underestimate the crack head, meth fiend scenario. Once found a whole encampment of them on the ranch one time.

K9Cp9ty.jpg

qp4yyhh.jpg

Took a crew, a packhorse and several trips down the mountain to haul a pick up truck load of their sh.. to the dump.

epa3y43.jpg

wnGNH25.jpg

kA8qeWV.jpg

The holster is for my Taurus 66 .357. Not very ccw friendly. But I have carried it open. I have a paddle holster for my 226 Legion. It’s got the big push tab to release. I do like it, but it wouldn’t be my first choice for a quick draw though. I have to think about the button.

Ive used everything from a versaclip on a 1911, to a mic clip on a 1911 and glock and revolvers all IWB, never the best comfort but got er done. I've used paddle holsters and they are ok but eventually got uncomfortable to me.
Ive had some belt loop OWB holsters. Now I'm using an Alien gear shape-shift IWB holster and absolutely love it. It's very comfortable with the soft neoprene inbetween you and the gun. Definitely worth checking out. It's also very easy to put on. I loosen my belt, hold the gun and slide it in then just grab each hook and clip on my belt. No worse than any other holster. Much faster then any belt loop owb holster.

Paddles are great until you have to roll around on the ground. Some can come off pretty quick then. Tough to beat for convenience. My nightstand gun has a paddle. Personally I’d go pancake with a steel full sized revolver, especially if I were being active, with one way snaps for a bit of convenience.

For hiking, backpacking, fishing, 4 wheeling, snowmachining, chores, etc- a well built chest rig like Diamond D leather guides holster is a great option as it keeps the handgun accessible and out of the way. There is a reason they are so popular here.

For hiking, backpacking, fishing, 4 wheeling, snowmachining, chores, etc- a well built chest rig like Diamond D leather guides holster is a great option as it keeps the handgun accessible and out of the way. There is a reason they are so popular here.
Agreed! I didn't mention in my first post but I swap between an alien gear IWB and an Alien gear chest holster. Depending on activity. Hunting or winter activities requiring bibs, I go to my chest holster. It's amazing for hunting

I have two Desantis pancake holsters and a Taque? Pancake holster that I carry my assorted Glocks in even the the off brand holster holds my G20 and G29 comfortable and secure. The Desantis holsters fit my 42 and 48 I have literally slept with these guns in the holsters on me

Back