Horizontal carry leather pattern for a first time maker

Bit of background- I'm new to knife making and am about to finish up a small fixed blade knife as a gift for a firefighter friend. As part of the gift, I'll also be making a sheath for the very first time. They have asked for a horizontal sheath to be worn in the small of their back around the station. I have a pattern in mind that I think will work and be relatively easy to make, but before I going reinventing the wheel I wanted to check the hive mind and see if there were any better suggestions.
Link to pic of knife because I can't figure out how to embed it.
My thought is for back of the sheath to run close to the full length of the handle to allow for a couple of belt loops. A partial fold over the blade, with a cut/taper at the finger choil, extending a little past the first pin, allowing a strap to come up and snap over the choil, preventing the blade from falling out. Does that concept make sense? Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

You knife.
xxbQCwA.jpeg

Bit of background- I'm new to knife making and am about to finish up a small fixed blade knife as a gift for a firefighter friend. As part of the gift, I'll also be making a sheath for the very first time. They have asked for a horizontal sheath to be worn in the small of their back around the station. I have a pattern in mind that I think will work and be relatively easy to make, but before I going reinventing the wheel I wanted to check the hive mind and see if there were any better suggestions.
Link to pic of knife because I can't figure out how to embed it.
My thought is for back of the sheath to run close to the full length of the handle to allow for a couple of belt loops. A partial fold over the blade, with a cut/taper at the finger choil, extending a little past the first pin, allowing a strap to come up and snap over the choil, preventing the blade from falling out. Does that concept make sense? Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

The design seems overly complicated to me and bulky. Might be uncomfortable sitting.

Thanks Old Biker.

Here's an easy way.. Can wear cross draw or small of back, which I personally like to carry spine down!!
I'm also gonna look for another easy way for multiple placement to show you!!
In the second one it allows cross, s o b, regular high ride and canted...all the openings work well.. I had a gent make me a custom build and do the sheath like this!! Best of luck!!

IMG_8064.JPG

Attachments

• FOBOS-SHEATH-3044__86813.jpg
    FOBOS-SHEATH-3044__86813.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2
Wearing a knife in the small of the back kind of dictates the requirement that it fits securely without snaps or extra retention. You don't want to need to unsnap or resnap a loop behind your back. What a nuisance (IMHO) :mad: If wet forming doesn't inspire confidence consider incorporating rare earth magnets into your build.

See the video in this thread posted here in early APRIL. Worth considering.

The design seems overly complicated to me and bulky. Might be uncomfortable sitting.

Thanks Old Biker.
You are correct, that was overly complicated, lol! Ended up just going with a basic fold over. The knife sits pretty deep and I wet formed the sheath so it's pretty secure even without a retention strap.

Thanks!

Here's an easy way.. Can wear cross draw or small of back, which I personally like to carry spine down!!
I'm also gonna look for another easy way for multiple placement to show you!!
In the second one it allows cross, s o b, regular high ride and canted...all the openings work well.. I had a gent make me a custom build and do the sheath like this!! Best of luck!!

View attachment 2229183
Ooh, nice. I like that second one a lot. Lots of cutting involved but I may need to give that a shot on my next one

DX6slYE.jpg

CM3Awg2.jpg

While not truly SOB, just behind the left hip has become very popular around here lately. Here are some true SOB pics:

JHSpzsv.jpg

I5iXxHM.jpg

L2Lsjn1.png

fwlu6Hb.png

Here is one I made for a small knife. Can be worn on the left or right side or in the small of the back - again facing either way.

Of course yours wouldn't need the lacing.

FF-in-sheath copy.jpg

Thanks for the replys everyone. Here is what I ended up making. Definitely a lot of room for improvement on the next model but I think this'll work just fine for now .

V9YBuQN.jpeg

fxz7zva.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys everyone. Here is what I ended up making. Definitely a lot of room for improvement on the next model but I think this'll work just fine for now .

V9YBuQN.jpeg

fxz7zva.jpeg

Fully functional for your first go!!! And practice makes perfect... Please do share as you expand your horizons!!

Back