Hossom CPM3V Machete

Hey Rob, I wasnt worrying about your grammer, just where you store your loot!!
smile.gif
....funny about that moon thing!
frown.gif

When I first started with 3v, almost 2 yrs now I made a test blade with a heavy thick grind and beat the hell out of stuff with it, like chopping O-1 stock and such.
When I showed it to R. J. Martin he said "you've been chopping steel with this?" and then proceeded to whack his vice with it.
No chipping just bright spots where the edge hit the vice.( the vice didn't do so well)
This blade was 57-58 and is the one that flexed to 120 deg,
3 V. Has a very narrow range for hardness VS geometry.
I have a prototype chopper that I ran harder (60RC) for testing with a zero edge and did see some chipping this edge was very thin 12 deg, but at 58RC the same edge profile had no chipping.
Bruce Bump told me he put a 1/8 3V (heattreated by Paul Bos) blade in his press and pushed it through a 3/16 steel plate with no tip or edge damage.
So keep trying guys you'll get it.

------------------
Edward Randall Schott

Let the future tell the
truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
The present is theirs, the future, for which I really worked, is mine".
Nikoli Tesla EdwardRSchott@aol.com

www.angelfire.com/ct/schottknives/

Darrel -- What is the heat treat process you are using, to produce your test blades? Are you still opposed to using cryo treatment?

--Will

I chopped and pounded on some galvanized steel finishing nails, and was able to produce a small flattened place on the edge, maybe 1/32" in length and of a depth only revealed by catching light on it. Under 30x magnification, there was no chipping, but rather an indentation type deformation. Of course, a thin nail like this concentrates the force on a very small area, whereas a thicker nail would require strength across a greater span of edge, so I'm not sure which would be the tougher test. I'm glad to know what this edge does when it hits a nail--nothing spectacular, just about what I'd expect from metal-on-metal impact between a razor edge and a thin round piece of steel. Not unlike what I get with a Busse Battle Mistress out of INFI.

--Will

Will
The edge on the fighters I made were .017 before sharpening.
The edge deformed on every blade rc hardness from 56-62 rc. The tip bent on ever knife.
They took a set.
The nail I used was a aprox 3/16 dia soft nail.

I suppose we can go on all day with this but I dont see the point. I want to see the video of the swordsman above. That would convince me on heavy edges.

As for cryo yes I did two blades with this process. 58 and 59 rc. I thought this might increase toughness.. But it didnt.

I will say that the blades will bend (in the thicker sections) and spring back. Thick sections will take of shock and flexing.

BUT I will say that a diff tempered blade will do the same thing if heat treated properly. The difference is I can get them to perform in thinner sections the edges and tips are far better.

AS for my heat treat process see the shop talk archive where Paul Bos says he and I heat treat the 3v the same way.

Ed, to keep trying is not in my nature.
It is or it isnt .. Bottom line.

I still feel there are other materials out there for belt knives 4-10 in length that will perform better with a thin edge.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
Happy Holidays!

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 12-09-2000).]

FWIW - After laying a trail for the dogs at Mantrailing school, I had time to play while I waited for the hounds to find me. Took out my 3V camp knife (Sorg/Broadwell) and cleared a fairly roomy stand. The convex edge suffered no deformation or chipping at all - still shaves. The thickest branch I lopped was about 1 1/2". Strong enough for me!

Hi Brian
3v works great for some knives IMHO.
Never had it chip. Just edge deformation in a thin knife. It did fine for chopping hard woods ect. My problem is the tip twisting with a thin tip. The diff tempered 52100 and 1084 holds up better. The edge held up better also.
The question of cutting other steel with it as stated here has me puzzeled also.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
Happy Holidays!

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 12-10-2000).]

Jerry :

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the angles used in shaping the parabola are determined by the distance from the steel's flat surface to the final edge, in both dimensions. </font>

Yes, but the influence these two aspects have are very different. Bevel acuteness (or curvature for convex bevels) changes cutting ability much faster than bevel height. And both of these effect cutting performance much more than stock thickness. This is why Boyes blades from 0.25" stock cut so well.

If you just reduce the stock thickness and keep the same bevel curvature you have in effect just reduced its extent (height). This will not increase the cutting ability nearly to the same extent as lowering the curvature. Depending on the material being cut it in fact may have no effect at all unlike the curvature or bevel angle which will always effect cutting performance.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 12-11-2000).]

"...the distance from the steel's flat surface to the final edge, in both dimensions"

I think we are saying the same thing.

"Both dimensions" are the X and Y axes of the parabola. The final shape of the parabola is actually determined by the saplings in the woods outside my home.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

In Argentina, the women perform the Para Bola holding a handkerchief in one hand and their men's bolas in the other
wink.gif

Mario

------------------
Gaucho

Tuvo muy mala suerte...se callo en mi cuchillo.

Ahhh, see that's because you weren't raised on the Pampas. Down there each man understands that he may not leave the dance alive. So the philosophy is pretty much 'Al Carajo! I'll just whip these bad boys out right here on the dance floor and show 'em off.'

Mario

------------------
Gaucho

but the real problem is...in Argentina you are always upside down!
smile.gif
as a side note, did you folks out there realize that the water spins the OPPOSITE way as it goes down the drain below the equator...no wonder the world is so confused!!
redface.gif

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 12-14-2000).]

Yeah, coriolis effect...I've always thought that was cool.

Mario

------------------
Gaucho

Yeah, but the real question is...
Do the grinding wheels go the other way around, too?

[This message has been edited by Ebbtide (edited 12-15-2000).]

Back