How about a BFF1 update?

MM

Yep, here it is again. Any idea on when we can get an update on the progress of the BFF1? Anything? Just throw us a bone, man.
smile.gif

Bringing this back up to the top. Hoping for a response.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

MM,

I really wish I could throw you a bone with a little meat on it!
At this time the lock system is still tied up in preparation for patent application.
Until we are formally granted a "Patent Pending" status, it would be risky to post any pertinent design details on a public forum as, legally speaking, the design would then become "Public Domain".

However in the interest of public safety, and to try to prevent a Megefolder Fans Uprising, here is my 1999 report to the BFF1 Design Team on this forum:

1. Lock system seems to show promise! Not ready to make folding swords yet, but I estimate that this mechanism MIGHT be viable for designs with blade lengths between 3.5" and 7.5".

2. We have managed to refine the concept from 6 parts to 4 parts without compromise.

3. Lock system seems to provide an "additional feature benefit". More on this later!

4. There are several ways to implement this concept. We MUST take the time to ensure that the patent covers all feasible methods of applying this lock to a folding knife.

5. Of course all of this is my opinion, I could be wrong!

I am very sorry if it appears that I am being vague and obscure. I have to walk a fine line between keeping the BFF1 design team informed & screwing up the patent! God knows, I screw up enough things already, just ask Will!

Let me take this opportunity to wish you all a happy Christmas & a prosperous New Year.
I hope you all get some good blades from Santa this year, I suspect I am getting coal again!

Best Regards,
Phil

'00, the year of the Megafolder!?

'00, the year of the Megafolder!?
LOL. Yes, definitely. I'm glad for the update and I do understand that you need to keep things vague until the patent stuff is taken care of. One more question if you could, what kind of time frame are we looking at? Ballpark. 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? I ask only because I need to prioritize finances with this and another project.

Merry Christmas Phil, Will and everyone at Camillus.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by MM (edited 16 December 1999).]

Good question Mike!

This MIGHT be my 5th patent.
With the previous 4, each one was completely differant. Frankly there are way too many variables.
Best guess (read "worthless") 18 months.

I hope the other project is in better shape than this one.

Best Regards,

Phil
"I need a little more luck, alot more time & a few more good ideas!"

Hmmm. Seems like REKAT had an advantage because they already had a megafolder-strong lockwork laying around.

That's OK, the Sifu isn't the absolute last word in megafolders. It's a damn fine knife but then again, the Sebenza didn't make all other 3.5" folders a non-issue.

I really want a BFF1. 7" would be EXCELLENT.

Jim

Thanks Phil. Us megafolder fans appreciate any tidbit of info we can get. I am , like Jim March, really looking forward to the BFF1. I like my Sifu but, for me, it leaves something to be desired.
I hope the other project is in better shape than this one.

The other project has nothing to do with knives. Its a 5 string bass guitar I'm building. Its going well but do to financial constraints its kind of back burned for a while.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

I just designed a new sheath for my Sifu and I think some of the ideas might transfer over to other megafolders. So far as I'm aware it's a new idea in Kydex sheaths.

If this will work for the BFF1 I'll gladly give the design to Camillus gratis.

Pics, blueprints and discussion: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000306.html

Jim

Back