How about a Camp knife challenge ?

Dan,

Very insightful post. I think many of the "users" have different needs, requirements, and tastes, and that the individual tests will carry as much or more weight than the overall winner. Thankfully Brian has the experience and knowledge to provide an objective and relevant evaluation. I can't wait to see it.

as much as I personally believe in my own design and way of making things....I'm not in this to win it.

It was my understanding at the first, that this would be a "rise to the challenge" event.

That knifemakers would need to create a knife that would meet certain tasks.

That an unbiased reviewer would do his best to fairly evaluate all the knives at the same tasks (removing many variables)....so that all makers who submitted knives might see the strengths and weaknesses of their designs.

I'm not looking forward to a chest-thumping pissin' contest with a winner-takes-all conclusion.

I don't know if I'd want to even be the winner....a different tester....different day....different skill set....different "testing".....different winner for sure. Seems like short-lived glory.

What I am interested in is seeing if the money and the mouth are "in line together"...so to speak. :D

I do test my knives and for me they work great. But I also have a certain mindset. And I don't get much opportunity to learn from other makers by testing their designs.

I have certain tastes...and avoid certain design features personally...but that doesn't mean they don't work. They just don't fit me.

So, I hope this isn't coming off as a rant....I know Brian will do what we want him to do. If he decides to pick a winner, I won't disagree. I just hope that won't be the only outcome of the testing. I'm waaaaay more interested in the individual tests. I wish I could be there with my camera to capture it all !!!

:thumbup:

Dan

I think it is a rant all the way

:D
Just kidding I am really looking forward to this challenge. It is not often in todays kill or be killled economy that we get to see this type of home grown evaluation. It seems to me that it is a be all end all of the list of makers that I enjoy seeing here on BF:D:D

It was my understanding at the first, that this would be a "rise to the challenge" event.

I have certain tastes...and avoid certain design features personally...but that doesn't mean they don't work. They just don't fit me.

Dan

first, that second bit. +1, thumbs up, and hoorah. That's been the whole basis of my knifemaking from the get go. People say they can tell a koyote from across a gymnasium- same thing applies when I see a laconico, koster, fiddleback, or crazy rick. I make knives to suit my idea of how knives work. I learn and my ideas evolve, but I am not out to make a buck 119.

For the first quoted part- I really wanted a pool of testers, a group or a meetup, with different people doing different tasks...it's in the thread, go check it out- I do see this as a rising to the challenge- but (also as Dan pointed out in his own way)- a validation of techniques. Rubber meets the road, I suspect we all are going to come out with good traction and torque :D - for some of the makers, it's going to be a serious first or major validation for their/our work.

I did want a set of categories, with the ability to have best of this or that, but whatever happens, we all get a good time. And I got to make a new design.

"That an unbiased reviewer would do his best to fairly evaluate all the knives at the same tasks (removing many variables)....so that all makers who submitted knives might see the strengths and weaknesses of their designs."

I'm pretty sure that this is what Brian has in mind Dan, I'm not sure if he will decide an overall winner formulated by the one that scores the highest throughout his tests or whether he will provide the data and let the members decide for themselves which is the best based on the results. Whatever the outcome I am 100% sure that it will be fair and unbiased !!!!

Just be gratefull all that Brian didn't submit an entry of his own ! :DThat will be for Camp knife challenge II !!!!!;):thumbup:

"That an unbiased reviewer would do his best to fairly evaluate all the knives at the same tasks (removing many variables)....so that all makers who submitted knives might see the strengths and weaknesses of their designs."

I'm pretty sure that this is what Brian has in mind Dan, I'm not sure if he will decide an overall winner formulated by the one that scores the highest throughout his tests or whether he will provide the data and let the members decide for themselves which is the best based on the results. Whatever the outcome I am 100% sure that it will be fair and unbiased !!!!

Just be gratefull all that Brian didn't submit an entry of his own ! :DThat will be for Camp knife challenge II !!!!!;):thumbup:

Very well said. I am sure that whatever Brian puts fourth it will be without a doubt unbiased and fair. While I have had little dealing with Brian the small amount that I have had has shown him to be a stand up guy. (Who makes some great looking knives.:D)

I like the idea of someone else testing my knife, a new design that took me out of my comfort zone. I like to make small knives and this has been one of the few I have made with a 4+ blade. I am all for the competition but not the "chest thumping" like Dan said above.
Very well said Dan!

Basically it just sounded like a fun idea to me, so I figured "what the heck!" I think it will be a good learning experience to see how someone else`s idea of a camp knife differs from mine.

I entered because I am very interested in learning more about how individuals see a camp knife. My droppoint is used alot in camping but there is another camping world out there that hoover between the causual camper cutting a steak and someone being dropped into the jungle. That hard and extreame use and need is where I can really learn more. I did my extreame camping when I way much younger and I carried my boy scout camp knife.

I have already learned alot by the designs and comments made and hope to learn more during the evaluation.

I must say that I have a competitive streak and I hope I beat the crap out of everyone.

Just kidding, even if one knife comes out on top that will not mean that is the knife for everyone, lucky me, there are alot of people with different needs and this is a great way to learn more on how to meet those needs.

I want to thank all the makers who are participating, this will make the effort worth while in seeing a broad range of knives.

Very interesting points.

I know I can bring the same group of knives out into the woods for testing several times, and pick a different “Top Dog” each time.

It really depends at the tasks at hand, my mood, and the celestial alignment.

From what I’ve seen, and I have been watching closely, all the knives entered are winners in their own right, :thumbup: :thumbup:

….and I must add, we too are winners for having the chance to go along for the ride. :cool:

Big Mike

”Scaring the tree huggers.”

Forest & Stream

Last edited:
Anything new on this thread?

What is the expected time frame for results Brian?

For the newcomers who might be wondering how this challenge thing all started !:D

Back