How about a permanent monthly fitness skills thread?

J Williams did me a world of good with the contest he started in July, and the monthly threads have gotten a lot of people involved who aren't even in the contest.

So how about a monthly WSS fitness skills thread? We can make our man faces at each other, puff out our chests a bit, and maybe even get some occasional good discussion abotu what is and isn't working for us.

The only disclaimer I need is that I think we need to keep it social and positive- we all know the dangers of running a marathon straight off the couch without a checkup, and malnutrition issues.

I'll post my stats as of today for a start:

196 pounds
37 inch gut
16.5 neck
for a rope and choke body fat measurement of

(if you wanna know, from my high point last year that's 9 inches off my gut and forty-odd pounds off)

and I've got one of those silly blog thingies since it will help keep me honest: http://koyoteconditioning.blogspot.com/

I do a lot with kettlebells and intervals. Knifemaking isn't, in reality, all that active a career, so working out multiple times a day is important for me.

I'm taking a temporary KB break- even though they simply rock for fat loss- to work on the foundation strength in a bodyweight program I'm working with. To keep it in line with expected life changes, I expect to pick up my kettlebell progressions on march 31st, possibyl a few days earlier.

The main area I am having trouble with still is my diet. I do okay with the IDEA of the fast and feast approach (eat very little in the day, a decent feastt ype meal at night, without overindulging)- but I have a problem with not stopping the eating phase when I should. So I'm going to try a hard limit of no food after 20:30.

I'm in:thumbup: You'll have to wait until tomorrow for stats, though, but they'll be bad enough to make you cringe, I guarantee:eek: But, being the start of a new year- after a long, rough, mostly crappy year-should help me in taking an honest look at where I'm at vs. where I want to be.

And, on the upside, I've got two 16 kg kettlebells on the way;) should be here Saturday or Monday, and I'm clear to put 100% of my weight on my broken leg finally, so I've got a couple of things going for me:thumbup:

I am 6'3", 252 pounds and a size 38 waist. My ideal weight is about 207 and my waist should be a size 34. I have the knowledge and technology to get there within a year. I need the discipline and will power.

And, on the upside, I've got two 16 kg kettlebells on the way;) should be here Saturday or Monday, and I'm clear to put 100% of my weight on my broken leg finally, so I've got a couple of things going for me:thumbup:

If you are doing any of that bodyweight conditioning I talked about- the book I'm using has a "good behavior" program that fits in quite will with kettlebell routines.

There's only two secrets to dropping weight with kettlebells- swings. And swings. Oh, and hot potatoes. Love those hot potatoes. Do, if at all possible, get your form checked by someone knowledgable (videos work well if no one is local) and watch all the videos you can on youtube. TGUs (getups) are a huge Goodness to do, but they often take a bit of time to be able to do well, so don't sweat that.

I hate the slow rate of progress on a daily basis, but you will look back after a month and be in what Koyote Girl calls "a state of Wow"- and 3 months, and 6 months..... :thumbup::thumbup:

I am 6'3", 252 pounds and a size 38 waist. My ideal weight is about 207 and my waist should be a size 34. I have the knowledge and technology to get there within a year. I need the discipline and will power.

So do I! and that's one reason to have a thread. This is a skill, it does apply to WSS situations and technology, and we will all learn a ton as well as getting a bit of bonus will power from our mates. :cool:

Congratulations on losing 9 inches, that's a major accomplishment. I dropped about 40 pounds a couple years ago through exercise and diet, but have gained most of it back. I gotta start running again.

well one year ago today I set out to make change, -73 pounds, normal bp,
strenght and endurance like I never knew, gone from a 44 waist 4 x shirt to a 38 waist xl-xxl shirt ... one year no meat either 3 years no smokes

this years plan to get down to 220, with only 5-8% body fat.
ht is 6'2" still 20 pounds to go, the hardest 20..
got my second 16kg kettelbell for xmas.

I will say that these post have helped, and hope we keep this going, to try and keep it WSS related hows this, "how not to have a heart attack in the bush..."

Happy new year
jimi

If you are doing any of that bodyweight conditioning I talked about- the book I'm using has a "good behavior" program that fits in quite will with kettlebell routines.

There's only two secrets to dropping weight with kettlebells- swings. And swings. Oh, and hot potatoes. Love those hot potatoes. Do, if at all possible, get your form checked by someone knowledgable (videos work well if no one is local) and watch all the videos you can on youtube. TGUs (getups) are a huge Goodness to do, but they often take a bit of time to be able to do well, so don't sweat that.

Sorry Koyote, which book is that:eek: The Nake Warrior? I'm planning on going with a similar exercise program (bodyweight and kb's), because I've got to be able to work out at home if I'm going to stay consistant, but so far it's pretty much just the basics and what I can glean off of youtube. But I've checked out swings:p, so I'll look up the hot potatoes next:thumbup: Unfortunately, I don't know of anybody in town who really knows what they're doing, so I'm stuck with what I can find online for now, and I'll pick up a couple of books and videos shortly.

if you post a video of yourself doing swings, people will give you advice over on the dragon door site.

Convict Conditioning is the bodyweight book that I'm using that starts with physical therapy level exercises and progresses right on through to world class stuff. It's pretty complete, but also pretty simple to follow.

Naked Warrior is most valuable for the tensioning exercises and the 'grease the groove' approach- the two indivual exercises are really not beginner stuff, though Pavel has plenty of beginning modifications in there. Either book is well worth having, and either system will complement KB work wonderfully.

Awesome:thumbup: That 'Convict Conditioning' sound just like what I could use. I'm going to have to be pretty easy on this left leg for a while, and that seems like it would work well!

I'll chime in since I got my undergrad in exercise science. If anyone needs constructive criticism, let me know. There's a right way and a wrong way of doing things. I can even give you the math to figure out how much cardio burns how many calories, etc.

Hey guys this sound like a great idea .< As a guy at the end of an 8 year layoff from exercise I stopped when my son was born . I have a 10 year low level competetive bobybuilding education but I have warmed up to bodyweight training scene . I love bodyweight squats, lunges , push ups ,pull ups, torso twist and cardio . The new year is a great place to start , but you guys should commit to a goal /set time frame, I suggest 3 months as a minimum time . Also starting a journal or note book to keep track of food and exercise will help /you don't have to carry it arround just find a time to write it down . That way you can look back and see the progress you have made . Food is the easy part don't overcomplicate it . Hope you don't mind if I jump in here . I hope I can help . If can't do anything else walk your ass off . I have seen people change there lives by just walking .

Koyote, Thanks for the nudge.

I will start a Blog as well, leave a link to Koyotes Blog, and leave all the details there, but this is what I am starting with, the only regret is that it is the first of the year and that has nothing to do with this decision.
Grindonyou, I have to think about setting goals, and will write them on the blog.
No plan for exercise, will wing it for now.
Already have a difficult to stay consistent food plan.
Am already down from a peak of 298 pounds from about two years ago. Ok. 300 pounds.

01/01/10
H: 5' 10"
W: 270.8 lbs
neck: 18 1/2"
Gut at Belly button:52"
Pant size: 42" waist

Other measurements will be posted as well.

Last edited:
overcomplicating food is - apparently- one of the biggest problems I have :D

Seriously, if I avoid additives, canned food, and prepackaged prepared food, I feel great. Sometimes I end up with a handful of nuts and salad for a meal instead of a 6 item selection of chinese hot plate, but it's certainly uncomplicated!

I agree that goal are important, but they are hard to formulate, too. In the beginning especially, they will change- timelines, actual goals, new goals. I may be changting a few of mine for this year, and I "know" what I'm getting into.

journaling is so crucial. I'd probably be a good 5-10% lower in my body fat levels (even though I've done pretty well) if my food log was more complete. The biggest problem I have with logs is feeling guilt or 'excusing' messups on schedule, diet, drinking, or whatever. I enjoy my workout log, though.

Alright, talk about a way to start off the New Year! Here's my stats as of 01/01/10:

H: 5'9"
W:310
Gut: 54 1/2"
Neck: 17 7/8"

I'm still a couple of weeks out on doing much without my walking cast on:(, but I can bodyweight exercises such as pushups, crunches, leg lifts, etc. I'll work on those, and start with the basic kettlebell exercises that I'm able to as soon as my kb's show up:thumbup:

Depends on what you want to do. Kettlebells are generally used in a ballistic fashion- more for a constant motion thing, while DBs are generally for isolated curls, pressing, rows. All of which you can do with kettlebells or DBs, but snatches, swings, and grip work are much better with kettlebells.

Hi guys,

Are Kettlebells better than dumbbells for home work out?

Like Koyote says, kettlebells are a bit more versatile. I don't have regular access to kettlebells, so I substitute with dumbells and get good results. Love kettlebells when I can use 'em.

Off to the gym now.

HT: 6'4"
Wt: 205
Pants: 36
Attitude: can do.

I think being fit is the single most significant step in 'survival' preparation we can take. Stay active.

Great idea for a thread! I have been doing something called Monster Method at a local gym / karate school (Metro Martial Arts and Fitness) where my son studies. The owner is very proactive and has started a cool web site called Gym Junkies that has some good info on it concerning diet and exercise. We also do kickboxing classes that are fun as hell.The diet portion is something I've always struggled with. Going to have my instructor coach me as part of his "Metamorphis" program. The Monster Method changes every session and uses kettle bells for swings and goblet squuats and suit case lifts... We also use a slosh pipe, box jumps, tire flips, barbell thrusters, good old chin ups and jump rope. The heavy ball can be especially brutal. Most workouts are done in 30 to 45 minutes. Even with ignoring my diet almost completely, I've manged to lose 10 pounds. Once I get that in order, I think I'll see big losses in weight. Right now I'm 6'1" 226 pounds with a 38" waist. My goal is to get close to 200 pounds. Me and my buddies are starting a fat man contest in a week or two so that will help with the motivation.

Like Koyote says, kettlebells are a bit more versatile. I don't have regular access to kettlebells, so I substitute with dumbells and get good results. Love kettlebells when I can use 'em.

Off to the gym now.

HT: 6'4"
Wt: 205
Pants: 36
Attitude: can do.

I think being fit is the single most significant step in 'survival' preparation we can take. Stay active.

Fitness is a form of self defense as our instructor likes to say. That and kindness.:)

Back