How about Berreta Cougers?

Rob Simonich

Big Bear
Hope Mick and Duane dont mind us discussing guns here! If they do they will just kick my ass in Vegas! :p

I got great info on HK USP's, now who has a Berreta Couger? What do you think of it? I held one yesterday and liked the ergo's better than the USP's, it pointed right on for me like a 1911. Comments welcome!

I've never shot one, only thing I'd wonder about is if the trigger spring was prone to breakage like on the 92's...I do have a 92 and it shoots well.
I just do not like slide mounted safties. sometimes awkard to take off and can be engaged during "clearing."
never heard of functional problems about them.
I'm a HK/Glock-phile, so I should not of even answered.
I have heard that beretta has some of the best QC of anyone in the firearms business.
cheers,
Derek

Hey Rob, I've got about a box of shells through one but I have never owned one. It handles a lot like a Beretta 92. Recoil is pretty tame and the controls are the same. Not terribly compact but carriable. Typical Beretta reliability and accuracy. I'm also more of a HK/Glock fan myself but I have considered getting one.

Martin

Thanks guys, I wont buy anything but a .45 caliber and the one I looked at was .40. I dont like the slide mounted safeties either, big minus for me! I am a diehard 1911 fan, but have had the pistol bug lately! :)

Even the biggest 1911 fans need a little something different every once in a while. HK, Glock or Beretta you really can't go wrong. How about a Sig P220 or 245?

MOLEXY, I have shot the Sigs and to be honest I was unimpressed with their accuracy. I have shot several. I always mention ergonomics when talking guns, because I mostly point shoot at the matches. The only time I actually aim is if there is a tough head shot with a hostage target covering part of the head. The Sigs didnt point well for me. Glocks are the same way, in fact they are the worst for me. I have small hands and I pick up a Glock, either single stack or high cap and they both point way way high for me. I could probably learn to compensate by actually using the sights though! :D And you are absolutely right, even die hards need a change now and then!

Beretta just annouced a .45 Cougar. Looks like the others, but the pic showed wooden grips like the early 92s. I think it might be one of those things you have to feel to know if you like it. If the grip is any wider than the 9mm or .40 Cougar, it might not work for my hand.

I DONT get it.............
you like 1911s.........why dont you get ANOTHER 1911?
forget all that other crap! :p

if you have smallish hands, the usp/c 45 would be the way to go.
the grip is a little bit slimmer than the full size, but the trigger reach is a little shorter.
Plus, you can carry it cocked and locked like your beloved 1911's if you want.
I think the 45 coug has been out for a bit...I just never hear much...I think it has some sort of funky rotating barrel like the long dead colt "all american" abortion of a pistol.
funny, when you think about it, there are not that many nice 45s on the market that aren't 1911's...glock 21 and 30/36, the sig 220 (i have not heard alot of good stuff about the 245) and the usp's...what else is there?
best of luck,
Derek

Tom, werent you raving about getting a Couger last year or something?????? :D I may however be mistaken on that.

you could always get a Lorcin or a Jennings...nice and shiny nickle finish...muy macho!
'course, they are .25, not .45, and if you shoot someone with it, and they find out about it, they're gonna be pissed!
cheers,
Derek

Rob

The first time I ever picked up a Beretta Cougar was at a trade show. This particular trade show includes hands on range time. Not a bad shooter, trigger reset is too long. However, when I did a reload from a lockback, I lacerated the sh1t out of my support hand fingers on the underside of the slide. I ended up bleeding all over half the booth.

Not long after, I directed a test of duty pistols for a Police Department. Included in the test was H&K, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Glock and some others. Among the pistols sent by Beretta were a 9mm and a .40 Cougar.

Halfway through the first day of shooting, I look down the line and one of the Officers is holding a Cougar frame and the slide, barrel and recoil spring assemble were scattered of the ground three feet in front of him. I go to ask "exactly what the 'F' he thinks he's doing". He starts stammering about how "It just 'popped off'".

Later that same day the same exact thing happens. The pistol "auto disassembled" on the draw! Not completely this time, but enough to take him out of a fight. This time I got a picture:

7480097-e304-01D3018B-.jpg

Investigating a little, we found that the problem was the location of the disassembly latch and (believe it or not) the Cougars ease of disassembly. When a pistol is draw, the shooters finger should be in a "Universal Cover Mode", meaning that the trigger finger is well above the trigger guard or below the trigger guard. This is to prevent "Involuntary Muscle Contract" or a startle response that will make the Officer negligently discharge his firearm. This was half the problem. It turned out that the disassembly button fell right under the trigger finger of those shooter. The button was raised and the spring was very weak.

The other part of the problem was that when the support hand of the long fingered shooter hit the disassembly latch on the opposite side of the pistol . . . wooosh, off comes the slide.

On the second day of the testing a third Officer did the exact same thing. Also on the second day an Officer racked the slide and cut two of his finger.

The finding were immediately reported to Beretta. My understanding is that they have toughened the spring and on some models they have lowered the profile of the disassembly button, but they didn't move it.

I have looked at the .45 Cougars and the latch is a touch further forward, but that's due to the larger dimensions of the frame.

Hope that helps

John

OK, that did it, I am no longer interested in Cougers! :D Great post John, I seen that happen to a Glock once too! I do thaink that was a very rare instance with the Glock, but 2 Cougers in one day?????

dwenslen, just what I need is a faggot pimp gun! LOL:D :D

That pretty much takes the Cougar off of my potential purchase list. Itallion gun co.'s have a knack for coming out with some screwey firearms. Rob, I've never really pushed the Sig but I could see how a 1911 shooter's conditioned point shooting could be thrown off by the P220's ergos. This condition could be cured by range time with the Sig. The USP's are a good alternative for those familiar with the 1911. The bore axis is a little higher but recoil is still mild and the controls are pretty much the same.

Rob,
Why don't you get a REAL GUN like a Springfield Armory TRP Operator?

I hear they have a Limited Prod. "VALET" model...
:D

LOL, no way, Tut! :p

9mm is for those that don't get it the first time ... supposedly easier for repeat shots and higher capacity :D

btw, Rob, have you looked at the Kahr lineup? For 1911 guys who feel like STRAYING the Kahr isn't a far cry

Back