How About Some Suggestions for My Truck Kit

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
I keep a BOB of sorts in my truck. It's usually one form or another of a small pack with the kinds of things I'd carry on a day hike. It's not a SHTF kit, but it does often serve me well for day-to-day needs that pop up.

I've also always had a few tools under or around my truck seat for an emergency. They include a Becker BK-3, a serrated Spyderco D'Allara (often billed as a rescue knife) I won here at BFC, and a Swamp Rat Crash Axe. However, it's also long occurred to me that, should I have a wreck myself, those items may be flying around my cab in a manner that would likely be unwelcome.

So I finally got a bag to put some of this stuff in or on. I grabbed a CountyComm EOD bag. Here are some pics and a quick description grabbed from the site:

This interesting bag was developed to answer the need of a client who wanted a rugged versatile supply bag that had flexible carrying options and could fit under a truck seat (and survive under a truck seat). We had these handsome bags made with a YKK® brand sand resistant zipper and quality Scovil® snaps. The inside features a large net pocket with a Velcro® secured nylon flap and two quick access pockets for holding M-4 magazines and other necessities Also inside you will find two snaps and to tether points to attach to your equipment on lanyards to. There is also a detachable shoulder strap included. The PALs webbing allows easy attachment to tactical vests, belts backpacks and more. They even have a strip of Velcro® Loop across the top to attach a name tape or contents label. The bottom has a "Sand Vent®" that allows sand and water to exit the bag while keeping your goodies safe inside.

The inspiration for this bag came from the current issue U.S. Military Claymore Mine bag with many improvements in functionality.

We immediately fell in love with these bags because of the they have so much to offer. Our friends are using them as range bags, first aid kits, automobile emergency kits, bicycle travel packs, first responder kits. You will probably have a ton of ideas too.
Aprox. Size: 12" x 8" x 4.25 "

minebag5large.jpg

minebag1large.jpg

minebag8large.jpg

So anyway, I like that the bag is small enough to fit under my seat yet hold a fair amount of kit. So far, I have the Becker BK-3, a Surefire 6P, a first aid kit, and the Spyderco D'Allara in the bag. Just looking for suggestions as to what else folks would add. The Crash Axe is too big to go in the bag, but I might be able to devise something with all the molle straps to attach it to the outside. That'd be best since the Crash Axe would likely be my first grab in case I need to bust a window for a quick exit. It would be good to have it handy. Other items I'm considering...

• some durable leather gloves
  • a small fire extinguisher
  • duct tape (has about a million uses)
  • some paracord (see duct tape)

What other things would folks put in for a car emergency kit? The idea here is to have some essential tools for a wreck, either one that's happened to me or to someone else. Beyond gear, I'm reminded that I need refreshers on first aid and CPR. I'm working on getting those classes this spring.

I would also include some Excedrine (big bottle), some spare socks and tshirts (seriously), Tums, an emergency charger for your cell (one of those energizer battery things, some cash ($100), and some road flares. I keep all that in a compartment in my Pathfinder, along with what you mentioned, sans the BK3, I usually have BOB with me, and he carries a 9, 2, and a TOPS XCEST.

Moose

Fire kit, first aid kit, flashlight, gloves, hose clamps, zip ties, electric / duct tape, granola bars, hard candy, candle, toboggan (watch cap, knit hat, whatever you regionally call it) poncho, tarp, paracord, emergency blanket, canteen, mess kit.

I keep a well loaded get home bag (GHB) in my trunk. I focus on light shelter, clothes to change from 'sales guy' into 'gray guy', boots, FAK, light food. Basically the things I need to either get the car going enough to limp home or if the car is out (EMP, whatever) - what I would need to start a 15-20 mile hike, assuming 1 overnight.

How about attaching a water bottle of some sort?

Are kids ever a factor?

All of the above, plus a shotgun, water bottles, and TOILET PAPER.

I'm not thinking of this kit the same way as some of you.
Maybe I should be clearer with what I'm calling it. Maybe "roadside emergency kit" is a better term.
I have a lot of the items that you all mention in my pack. Those are the things that could see me through a cold night roadside. Or a 15-20 mile hike to civilization. There are provisions for fire, water, rain protection, etc. in my pack.
I'm thinking of the the things I'd grab to possibly render assistance to a wrecked vehicle's occupants. I don't need to be lugging a mess kit and a rain jacket over to render aid. Well... unless the folks have been trapped for a couple of days and need some Ramen noodles.

Road flares are good. Water might be good too. The first aid kit already has a number of pain meds included.
In my truck tool box are jumper cables and a tow chain. But for this bag, I'm thinking mainly about extraction and aid. Skills are paramount here as well; I recognize that fact fully.

Nice murse Guyon... I think you're about covered but thought I'd throw this tid bit out there..

Home Dumpo has a pack of 3 leather gloves for $10:eek: Say What!!! That's right under $10.. Some HD's have them on the end cap by tools, or in the glove section..some employees have no idea about the deal..

They're not EXTREME gloves but let me just say I roofed 2300 sq ft of shingles before they burned holes in the fingers..

3 for 1 cant go wrong..

Maybe I should be clearer with what I'm calling it. Maybe "roadside emergency kit" is a better term.
I have a lot of the items that you all mention in my pack. Those are the things that could see me through a cold night roadside. Or a 15-20 mile hike to civilization. There are provisions for fire, water, rain protection, etc. in my pack.
I'm thinking of the the things I'd grab to possibly render assistance to a wrecked vehicle's occupants. I don't need to be lugging a mess kit and a rain jacket over to render aid. Well... unless the folks have been trapped for a couple of days and need some Ramen noodles.

Road flares are good. So are pain meds, but the first-aid kit has various pain meds included. In my truck tool box are jumper cables and a tow chain. But for this bag, I'm thinking mainly about extraction and aid.

I got where you were going with it. I was thinking the water bottle for wound or eye irrigation. You could always throw in a dedicated multi-tool or folder with serrated blade for cutting straps or clothing. Some sort of small hands-free light.

Road flares are good. So are pain meds, but the first-aid kit has various pain meds included. In my truck tool box are jumper cables and a tow chain. But for this bag, I'm thinking mainly about extraction and aid.

If its one of those FAK that you buy as a whole package, the pain meds are no good. I mean they work, but a normal tab is like 200mg, in the FAK, they are like 100mg, with more birch bark filler so they are roughly the same size. Exedrine comes loaded with 200mg of caffeine (wake me ups) and acetemetaphine, both are good to have for headaches and drowsiness. The socks and tshirts are handy incase you need to change a tire or crawl under a leaking vehicle, change into your bag clothes and keep your other clothes clean, so you don't get stuff in your truck/car. Socks are good to, if you are out in a breakdown, or have to get out and do some work, most people don't wear woolies daily, and an extra pair of socks on your feet, are nice to have if you're out in the cold or snow.

Mose

I got where you were going with it. I was thinking the water bottle for wound or eye irrigation. You could always throw in a dedicated multi-tool or folder with serrated blade for cutting straps or clothing. Some sort of small hands-free light.

Good thoughts all of them. Keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

If its one of those FAK that you buy as a whole package, the pain meds are no good. I mean they work, but a normal tab is like 200mg, in the FAK, they are like 100mg, with more birch bark filler so they are roughly the same size. Exedrine comes loaded with 200mg of caffeine (wake me ups) and acetemetaphine, both are good to have for headaches and drowsiness. The socks and tshirts are handy incase you need to change a tire or crawl under a leaking vehicle, change into your bag clothes and keep your other clothes clean, so you don't get stuff in your truck/car. Socks are good to, if you are out in a breakdown, or have to get out and do some work, most people don't wear woolies daily, and an extra pair of socks on your feet, are nice to have if you're out in the cold or snow.

Moose

More good points. I did augment my pack first aid kit with extra-strength ibuprofen and acetaminophen, but I haven't done so with this kit. I'll do it tonight. I've got plenty of the stuff I've been taking for my wisdom tooth pain. :p I hear what you're saying about the clothes too. Tucking a work shirt in there is a good idea.

Nice murse Guyon... I think you're about covered but thought I'd throw this tid bit out there..

Home Dumpo has a pack of 3 leather gloves for $10:eek: Say What!!! That's right under $10.. Some HD's have them on the end cap by tools, or in the glove section..some employees have no idea about the deal..

They're not EXTREME gloves but let me just say I roofed 2300 sq ft of shingles before they burned holes in the fingers..

3 for 1 cant go wrong..

Hey, good tip on the gloves. I've just about worn out my last pair of leather gloves. I'll check The Home Despot next time I'm in there.

o Trauma shears (two)
o REAL seat belt cutters or the like
o Tac Tool
o a 3 foot pry bar, halligan tool, or Stanley Fubar
o Quik Klots
o Maxipads (bleed outs)
o LED strobe flares (they seem expensive, but cool)
o a REALLY brightflashlight
o super heavy duty jumper cables (for lesser emgercenies)
o lots and lots of nitrile gloves
o space blankets
o plastic

in the back
o 2 gallons of gas, and 2 gallons of diesel?
o uber tow strap
o come along or chain hoist?
o shovel

mmm, well, stuff like that :)

Besides all the survival and support gear thats been mentioned, I know two things that are great in a truck kit. Half pint or so of bourbon(or your fav. adult beverage) and tobacco products(if you use them). I found out the hard way when I got my truck stuck in a mudhole and had to spend the night. I had everything I needed but I ran out of dip at about 6 pm and then I couldnt even catch a buzz to help pass the time.

Besides all the survival and support gear thats been mentioned, I know two things that are great in a truck kit. Half pint or so of bourbon(or your fav. adult beverage) and tobacco products(if you use them). I found out the hard way when I got my truck stuck in a mudhole and had to spend the night. I had everything I needed but I ran out of dip at about 6 pm and then I couldnt even catch a buzz to help pass the time.

Good call.

Moose

Is a toolbox in the bed an option? More or less every tool sans powertools I own I keep in the truck. If I'm home and need a tool I go to the truck. If I'm out and about and need a tool...I go to the truck.

Shovel, ratchet straps, tow strap(50k lbs), chains, gloves, tools, zipties, tape, spotlights, hacksaw. All in the truck bed.

Tobacco= mission critical for sure.

Let's see... I don't smoke or dip, but bourbon is my friend. I should have picked up that neat little plastic pilot's flask in my last CountyComm order. Oh well, I'll be placing another in the not-too-distant future. I got a nice little flask for free in a Four Roses gift pack this Xmas. Maybe I'll toss that one in. It'd be good for shock victims. Yeah, that's it. Shock. ;)

My truck has a tool box already that is well stocked. Tools, tow chain, ratchet straps, rope, shovel, etc. All in the box.

Essence3.jpg

Bladite, thanks for all these suggestions...

o Trauma shears (two) In the kit already.
o REAL seat belt cutters or the like The D'Allara would make quick work of any seat belt, but you're talking about the razor blade versions, aren't you?
o Tac Tool Done.
o a 3 foot pry bar, halligan tool, or Stanley Fubar Well, the Crash Axe is designed to be a pry bar (see below).
o Quik Klots I'm with you here. Still trying to find good prices. These are expensive.
o Maxipads (bleed outs) Good suggestion, though it might be hard to explain to my softball buddies.
o LED strobe flares (they seem expensive, but cool) I'm just going to get some 30 minute road flares.
o a REALLY brightflashlight Surefire 6P with Malkoff drop-in. It'll do.
o super heavy duty jumper cables (for lesser emgercenies) In the tool box.
o lots and lots of nitrile gloves. I'm with you here too. I'm going to buy a box. They're handy for all sorts of things.
o space blankets Another "should have added to the CountyComm order" item. They have 'em pretty cheap.
o plastic I keep the giant 55 gallon contractor's trash bags in my tool box. They always are coming in handy.

in the back
o 2 gallons of gas, and 2 gallons of diesel? Taken under consideration.
o uber tow strap I have a tow chain.
o come along or chain hoist? I've been hoping to run up on one cheap, but Harbor Freight does have 'em. Just don't know if I trust the HF versions.
o shovel Got one.

CrashAxe2.jpg

A Hi-Lift jack works as a come along of you have the chain and rope. It works as a clamp, log splitter and jack too. Remember there nic name though.

Back