how are knives like shotguns?

When I pick up a knife from my collection of folders, I always open and close it a few times. I make sure I remember the grip and check the knife opens like my muscle memory thinks. It's a habit.

When I pick up my shotgun before stepping into the field, I swing it a few times, and disengage the safety. I shoot several varieties of shotguns; some O/U, some autoloaders. Each has a different swing and safety (some on the comb, some are behind the trigger). I find a few times shouldering and swinging the shotgun somehow reminds my brain what the heck we are doing.

Same with my knives. In particular when a L21 and an Inkosi and an Umnumzaan each have their particular nuances, my brain needs a quick lesson on the knife.

It occurs to me that someone watching may wonder if I am slightly OCD... why do I stand there and open/close a knife 3 or 4 times before it goes into my pocket?

Anyone else weird like me?

Totally with you... like my handguns. Sometimes an Um, sometimes a Sebbie, guns: Govt model/ Glock/ SAA... got to re-feel for familiarity....comforting....

^^^Yep. I have a small routine for my EDC handguns as well, every time, without fail.

Same here. A muscle memory check, weapon function/condition check, and a bit of pleasure all together.

As long as you don't count the number of times you open/close it, proceeded by clapping your hands the same amount of times, then sit down/stand up, you're completely normal. Sometimes if a knife hasn't been carried in a while, it takes a few opening/closing's for it to have the right feel.
You better be familiar with the gun you're fixing to use/carry, it could save your life.
So, not OCD at all, just plain common sense.

I am certainly glad that I don't have to reload for all my knives. Just think of all the different dies you would have to buy to cover them all.

Back