How Can I Figure The Age?

I have a USMC combat knife I bought 20 years ago. Typical leather sheath and typical Ka-Bar knife marked USMC. I was told it is from the Vietnam war era though probably not carried in battle. I'd sure like to find the maufacture age of it. Any tips?

You really need to post a photo for good ID. None were issued to troops during Nam. If it has the USMC logo on the sheath it is post Vietnam. If knife has a fat pommel with a pin in it it is post Vietnam. Photos would be best.

You really need to post a photo for good ID. None were issued to troops during Nam. If it has the USMC logo on the sheath it is post Vietnam. If knife has a fat pommel with a pin in it it is post Vietnam. Photos would be best.
OK, that's pretty much what I thought. The condition of it is too good to really be that old. Just wondering if it could be possible, so now I know.

KA-BAR only made the originals from 1943-1945, then they started making them again in 1976. No knives made by KA-BAR were issued to troops in the Vietnam era. The present iteration from 1976-now are not issued by the government either although they are offered as private purchase knives for those in the military.

Back