How To How do I find out knife laws of countries around the world easily for my Company?

Hey everyone,

I own a business, Deluxe Knives (sold as replicas from the video game CS:GO):
Link removed

I'm wondering if anyone knows if an easy way to check knife laws of different countries. I really want to be able to give good information for customers so they don't have to guess the laws. I'm not sure how to find out apart from looking at competitors.

Regards,
Oli

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such easy way. To be honest, there's no such easy way to check the patchwork of knife laws just in the United States, much less around the world. Also you're likely to have your business link edited out for you by a moderator as you are not a supporting dealer.

You may catch some grief for your product from members here, but I don't have a problem with your company, which seems to be mostly interested in providing replicas and props that are knives by coincidence rather than in providing knives per se.

Best of luck with your business.

There is no such easy way. To be honest, there's no such easy way to check the patchwork of knife laws just in the United States, much less around the world. Also you're likely to have your business link edited out for you by a moderator as you are not a supporting dealer.

You may catch some grief for your product from members here, but I don't have a problem with your company, which seems to be mostly interested in providing replicas and props that are knives by coincidence rather than in providing knives per se.

Best of luck with your business.
Thanks for the response - yes of course our knives aren't going to be made of perfect steel etc etc. And they're just for people to look at the colours basically, so sure people might not like them on this forum. Although if anyone else is able to find out about a place to see the laws that would be great, it would be so useful... unless I just contact all the governments?

Thanks for the response - yes of course our knives aren't going to be made of perfect steel etc etc. And they're just for people to look at the colours basically, so sure people might not like them on this forum. Although if anyone else is able to find out about a place to see the laws that would be great, it would be so useful... unless I just contact all the governments?

Good luck with that! Typically what knife dealers do is simply put the onus on the customer. I give you respect for attempting to go the extra mile to ensure your customers are ordering legally, but it's just not possible to keep track of all of the different laws in the world regarding knives. It really is the responsibility of the customer to ensure that what he or she buys is legal to purchase and possess in his or her jurisdiction.

1. There's just too many different legal jurisdictions. It isn't even just the 196 countries in the world, but many of those countries have states, cities, counties, or other political subdivisions that can also pass laws relating to knives. There isn't even a list of all of the political subdivisions you would need to contact to get the information you want.
2. You have to consider laws related to import/export and shipping, not just laws regarding possession and carry.

Personally I hope that people who have an interest in your product would develop an interest in knives that aren't just props.

You may find it interesting that Valve's Gabe Newell is actually a major knife collector and a member (albeit infrequent in participation) on this very forum.

Good luck with that! Typically what knife dealers do is simply put the onus on the customer. I give you respect for attempting to go the extra mile to ensure your customers are ordering legally, but it's just not possible to keep track of all of the different laws in the world regarding knives. It really is the responsibility of the customer to ensure that what he or she buys is legal to purchase and possess in his or her jurisdiction.

1. There's just too many different legal jurisdictions. It isn't even just the 196 countries in the world, but many of those countries have states, cities, counties, or other political subdivisions that can also pass laws relating to knives. There isn't even a list of all of the political subdivisions you would need to contact to get the information you want.
2. You have to consider laws related to import/export and shipping, not just laws regarding possession and carry.

Personally I hope that people who have an interest in your product would develop an interest in knives that aren't just props.

You may find it interesting that Valve's Gabe Newell is actually a major knife collector and a member (albeit infrequent in participation) on this very forum.
Yes that is interesting! And it's a good point, I guess they have to learn the rules themselves. but will drastically decrease conversions that way.

Yes that is interesting! And it's a good point, I guess they have to learn the rules themselves. but will drastically decrease conversions that way.

Well, one compromise might be to track your ship-to locations. It's likely that you're going to have more buyers from some countries than from others. So if you really wanted, you could look up laws from those areas.

Unless you have a legal team looking at this, though, I would keep it to hyperlinks to the relevant laws.

Well, one compromise might be to track your ship-to locations. It's likely that you're going to have more buyers from some countries than from others. So if you really wanted, you could look up laws from those areas.

Unless you have a legal team looking at this, though, I would keep it to hyperlinks to the relevant laws.
Yes, that's a good idea we can just look at the countries we ship to most.

Back