• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE 11/26/2012: Dave Behrens is going to fix it for me, hope he can do a phenomenal job like the work of his I have seen

In 2008 my father gifted me a 2008 Limited Edition Winchester Kit. At the time I could not sharpen so I took it to get professionally done. I got it back in really bad shape.

THIS IS HOW I GOT IT BACK!!!! It needs a new rivet and Idk what needs done to fix the blade. Looks like they just took it to a belt sander and ruined it. And the Tip has been rounded, and it needs a thumb stud.

Edit: Update 11/22/2012 Better pics, these are as good as I can get unfortunately.
I colored what it scratched from the belt sander black
P82A0380.jpg

This looks like a gouge from the belt
P82A0381.jpg

More pics
P82A0368.jpg

P82A0378.jpg

P82A0379.jpg

If there is anyone out there that can do this for me and will take on this task. PLEASE let me know. I can send both knives so you can compare. I am not worried about the etching that says Winchester 2008. I just want it restored to go back in the 3 knife set gift box. I am putting my trust in someone again, and hope it works out for the best.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss....

There isn't a whole lot that can be done in the way of restoration, it's always easier to take metal off than to put it back on.

A regrind is going to remove even more metal, looks like the only option is to do a polish. As far as thge thumbstud goes, well....

And I'd be going back to that "professional sharpener" and demanding a refund and damages.

Again, sorry.

I wish I would have just learned how to sharpen on a stone back then. Now I know how to and wish I would have learned a long time ago. At 20 years old, I take price in everything I do. I would never let this happen to anything I do. I would have told the customer either I cannot do what they ask and recommend someone. Or say "Hey I messed up but I will have someone fix it and I will pay for everything to be done".

What could i polish it with to take all the stuff out? Do you know where I could get a new thumb thingy?

Jeremy

There are stores that sell knifemaking kits and parts. They sell thumbstuds and other items.

Ziptie and wave it! As for re-doing the blade finish, maybe a stonewash.

What do you men by zip tie and wave it????

Jeremy

Put a zip-tie through the hole, and use it to open the knife out of your pocket. Look up "Emerson Wave Feature" on Google and you'll see what it means. With the zip-tie on your blade, you can use the raised hump as a thumb stud as well.

~Chris

Your pics are way too blurry to even tell what the sharpener did. In fact, I can't even tell what the original edge looked like. I think it looks like he scratched the sides of your blade up but it's hard to say with confidence because it was in bad shape to begin with based on the top pics. I will say that there is no excuse for him to lose your thumbstud and not say anything about it...

Put a zip-tie through the hole, and use it to open the knife out of your pocket. Look up "Emerson Wave Feature" on Google and you'll see what it means. With the zip-tie on your blade, you can use the raised hump as a thumb stud as well.

~Chris

If it was a EDC knife I would do that, but because its a 2008 Limited Edition Gift Set I want it restored to go back in the box.

Your pics are way too blurry to even tell what the sharpener did. In fact, I can't even tell what the original edge looked like. I think it looks like he scratched the sides of your blade up but it's hard to say with confidence because it was in bad shape to begin with based on the top pics. I will say that there is no excuse for him to lose your thumbstud and not say anything about it...
The top pic is a 4 year old knife. But what happened was he was supposed to sharpen it and he used a belt sander and but a completely different edge on and ended up hitting up towards the bad bone and rounded the tip. I need someone to take it down an restore it to a factor edge and polish it. Sorry for the bad pics, they are off my cell phone.

Seems to me that no one is able to do it:( or does not want to:(

Jeremy

I can sharpen with a stone, but not take the whole blade down, redo a factory grind, and polish it. That's what I need someone to do it

Jeremy

Better pix would help alot . It is hard to say "yeah I can fix that for you " if you can not clearly see the extent of the damage. You can not put the factory edge back on.You can have a proper grind put back on but it will never look factory again. Depending on how deep the scratches are you might be able to polish them out.First step is post clear pix.Feel free to email me I will help you if I can. Don't worry I won't tell you I can do something if I can't.

Not sure if serious...............................or...........................

Just as an FYI, you can buy a new 2008 Limited Edition Winchester set for $19. Right now. You could keep it as is, or..............take the blade out and put it in your knife.

Much less expensive than having a professional try to fix a knife that likely can't be fixed. Can't put the metal back.

Not sure if serious...............................or...........................

Just as an FYI, you can buy a new 2008 Limited Edition Winchester set for $19. Right now. You could keep it as is, or..............take the blade out and put it in your knife.

Much less expensive than having a professional try to fix a knife that likely can't be fixed. Can't put the metal back.

Its not the same knife though :( It was a gift and has its sentimental value. I will post better pics later. If it were not a gift I would buy a new set.

Jeremy

Last edited:
Refer to first post, I uploaded better pics. They are the best I can get unfortunately.

Jeremy

Better pix would help alot . It is hard to say "yeah I can fix that for you " if you can not clearly see the extent of the damage. You can not put the factory edge back on.You can have a proper grind put back on but it will never look factory again. Depending on how deep the scratches are you might be able to polish them out.First step is post clear pix.Feel free to email me I will help you if I can. Don't worry I won't tell you I can do something if I can't.

I can live with the grind then, but I would like the scratches taken out, it sharpened correctly because the tip is very rounded and new thumb thing.

Jeremy

Read up on hand sanding then you can do that yourself to make the blade look better. You can't change the grind without making it look worse. After the hand sanding you can then sharpen it yourself, still using the sandpaper if you wish.

Custom makers sharpen with belt sanders and get very nice looking edges. Yours will now end up looking like a convex edge but that isn't so bad if you get the scratches out.

Read up on hand sanding then you can do that yourself to make the blade look better. You can't change the grind without making it look worse. After the hand sanding you can then sharpen it yourself, still using the sandpaper if you wish.

Custom makers sharpen with belt sanders and get very nice looking edges. Yours will now end up looking like a convex edge but that isn't so bad if you get the scratches out.

Ya I can live with the convex grind, but not the fact it was done wrong, the tip was rounded, the blade was scratched up by the belt because the person did not have a steady hand, and get a new thumb stud on it. So if it can be done right and polished up and get a new thumb stud that's all I really want, the grind obviously needs to stay, but needs fixed up and done right.

Jeremy

Dave Behrens has offered to take on the task for a very good price. I hope he can do a great job.

Jeremy

I want to start to get info making knives and sheath so I may end up doing it my self if no one steps up. BUT..... I would rather ruin a knife I made myself or bought myself instead of a gift. That's what is holding me back from doing it myself :(

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back