Recommendation? How do you choose...

Hey guys. I don't often treat myself to a more expensive knife... but I've been thinking about another CRK. My last was around 09 or so, a knife art exclusive large seb 21 cf. I sold it a few years ago but have missed it. I see they've come out with other models since then. The 31 has caught my eye but I'm unsure if I'd like to wait for more options to come out. Though I do like the idea of weathering a plain one over the years to come. I saw a cf inlaid 21 on knifeart I liked. How does the bog oak or box elder look outside of a product photographer's lens? The inkosi & umnumzaan I'm unsure of because I don't need a beefy folder like that. And the smaller knives... I'm unsure of.

Tough decisions ahead. Don't rule out the Inkosi. It's slightly beefier than the Sebenza 21, but if the aesthetics of a plain CRK appeal to you, the PJ Inkosi is just a marvel of brutal simplicity, and they work so well. I put off owning one for a long time because I like the 21s so much and I was put off by the differences, but now I find that I'm starting to "get" the Inkosi. It takes the concept of the Sebenza to another level IMO.

All of the inlays are beautiful. Not many pictures truly do them justice in my opinion, it’s always exciting to open that box once it finally arrives.
I like Sm Inkosi PJ and Lg Seb 21 Micarta. I didn’t think I was going to end up being a Sebenza guy, had tried more than I can count, until I got my hands on a Lg with micarta. Nothing “clicked” for me until that one.
No matter the choice, you definitely can’t go wrong. :):thumbsup:

What made you like micarta over a natural material? What appeals to me about the seb is the simple pivot. As I understand the inkosi needs adjustment just like most other folders.

Personally I like CGG and UG. Even Some Inlays. Some just talk to ya, or even scream to ya...BUY ME. Sometimes price plays into it as well.

Just my experience, but every non CRK PB washer knife that I’ve owned was kind of a pain to adjust “just right.”

That has not been true of my Inkosi’s and ‘Zaans. Holding hex key on both sides is a small challenge, but getting my desired play-free pivot tension is a breeze. I don’t know if it’s the overall tolerances, the size of the washers, pivot hardware, or all three combined—but it’s a piece of cake.

Reactions: 353
in hand the Inkosi and the Umnumzaan feels much beefier than the Sebenza
The grind on the Sebenza and on the Umnumzaan are similar and the cut quite as well where the Inkosi is maybe not as good as a cutter
I think of you already had experience with some 21, you better have to wait for the 31
I have some expectation on it. On the paper it looks like the best of two worlds: keep the blade and ease of maintenance of the Sebenza and get the ceramic interface and angled clip of the Inkosi

For the small, it is different for me. It took me some time to get used to the small inkosi - it is really small - but at the end it is my preferred EDC

some will prefer the small sebenza as a perfect size EDC but at the end I prefer either larger or smaller

For inlays, it is a question of loos and personal preference
The inlays add a little bit of extra thickness and if you want to use your knife intensively it can be more comfortable
For exemple if you have to cut the cardboard of all the toys of the kids after Christmas :)
But unless for long use , inlays don’t add anything but a pretty look

Back