How do you store your khukuris?

Here's a question, sparked by a comment I made in another thread. How do you store your khukuri(s)? What I mean is, 1) do you store them inside or outside of the sheath, and 2) what kind of protectant do you use.

For what it's worth, I store mine outside the sheath, keep them soaked in the packing grease they come in. My personal khukuris are displayed on stands, light coat of AG Russell, with the sheaths in a drawer (chakma and karda stay in the sheath for convenience).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

In the sheath usually coated with a light oil which I saturate the knife with for the first few weeks so as to coat the inside of the sheat as well. I will then periodically use a heavy coat or oil to maintain this state.

-Cliff

Hey Guys, why isn't Tuff Cloth sufficient? The oil inside the sheath drives me nuts; detracts from the appearance of the finish. I think a thorough cleaning after use then a Tuff C. would be sufficient. The liklihood of me carrying a khukuri, especially in a wet enviornment, is pretty remote. I'm guessing brush clearing in my over grown and expansive backyard would be the extent of use. Ergo, I'm thinking Tuff Cloth.

Craig: Stands? Do you sell them? Have pics?

Inside the sheath after putting a liberal coating of Either Hoppe's #9 lubricating oil or Rem oil on the blade. I keep them inside only because of restrictions on storage space.

BTW Craig, my storage space problems are going to increase by leaps and bounds here shortly. My wife is coming back from vacation on friday. Along with her she's bringing 25 years worth of my knife collection, which has been in storage at a friends house since 1993.

When I stored them, I sprayed each one with WD-40 and wrapped them individually in waxed butcher's paper. From the samples she opened, she said they show no signs of rust or corrosion.

She called from France last night and told me the knives weigh about 45 pounds (20 kilograms). For the life of me I can't remember exactly what I have, but I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Jumbi: yes, I do have stands, but alas, no pics. They are simple, but pretty (I have two on my desk). They are $10.00 each for the size you'd need for your SN1. PS: I really need to add an "accessories" page to the website.

Blackdog: Did you live in France? I didn't know that. Anyway, boy, are you lucky.

PS: Here's a tip for anybody who needs a good safe, and has a concrete floored basement with a separate entry: I just bought an 1800 pound resteraunt safe for $500.00. It's big, can hold rifles with folding stocks (or long rifles with the stocks removed), and is unmovable. I painted it with some fresh black paint, and it looks as good as new - only a couple hundred more than one of those gun safes you can buy at the sporting goods store. It's the kind of safe that criminals will see, and then trash your house on their way out becuase they're pissed off. Very off the subject, but I thought I'd pass it along. These safes can usually be bought from any good lock and safe store (they get them for free from resteraunts that are upgrading to an electronic safe).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

Actually we never lived in France. Our friends and our God-daughter live there, just outside of Metz.

During our 27 years of marriage (I'm dating myself here) we set up house in Belgium, Luxembourg, Zaire, Saudi-Arabia, Taiwan, MA, PA, and FL. Home for me, until 15 months ago, was where my wife stayed and my knives and guns were stored while I was out in the field. For the most part I lived in hotels, compounds, camps and once for 3 months, a 10 foot X 20 foot shipping container.

I will always maintain that mans greatest inventions were electricity and flushing toilets. After Nicaragua I'm sure you know exactly where I'm coming from.

The safe sounds like a great idea. I don't have a basement, but I have a closet that would work quite well.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Blackdog: If you don't have a concrete floor, watch out! (Images of the three stooges and roadrunner/coyote cartoons dance through my mind).

And were you in the CIA or something? Dont' answer that. BTW: Before we got to Nicaragua, I don't think there was one port-a-john. Well, now there are hundreds, and one rich local who had the forsight to go buy a bunch in preparation for our arrival.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I have had my WW for just a couple of months. I store it in the sheath with a heavy coating of motor oil on the blade. I keep it in the garage, high on a shelf where my toddler won't be able to reach it. No problem with any kind of rust yet, or any kind of stains. I wash the blade with hot soapy water when I am done using it, and then apply liberal coats of oil to it before it gets slid back into the sheath.

Time will tell if this is adequate or not
smile.gif
Ray 'md2020'

In the scabbard, of course. You GI`s should know that petrol oil is bad for wood, also I don`t care for the taste of it. I use peanut oil.

------------------

Were I you, I`d ship them that way. The wood wicks moisture from the blade. Not to mention the safety factor.

------------------

In my case (with two naughty sons at home) - it is safer to keep in it's scabbard - I prefer olive oil @ coconut oil to prevent it from rusing.

Question: do the organic oils (olive, peanut) have any shortcomings? I'm thinking of switching. I have a German dagger collection, and I am continuously trying to figure out new ways to preserve them.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

The organic oils can turn rancid and will leave gummy deposits on the sheaths. I would advise against them for your dagger collection. I believe the silicon oil you mentioned before from AG Russell will be superior for that usage.

I've found that the organic oils work well for a frequently used khukuri, if you don't mind wiping the gummy stuff off the sheath occasionally. At first I oiled mine regularly, but now as they show the scars and blemishes of use I tend to be less meticulous about keeping them shiny and rust-free. They still work well and I know I can trust them to do their job when called upon.

I have had peanut oil bought from the commissary in a big can for about 8 bucks, for 5 yrs. It hasn`t turned rancid,or gummy yet.

------------------

I store my WW2 in the sheath after wiping the blade with TufCloth. No stains or rust yet.

------------------
K. Williams
kel620@aol.com
Modern Arnis Student

Light coating of "Break Free"
Stored in the sheath.

-Mike L.

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

Yes,but my scabbard re-oils the blade,and you can eat off of it.The blade I mean.

------------------

Incidentally, Ghost Six, AG Russell says you can eat from a blade coated with the RustFree, but I much prefer the taste of olive oil. I'm thinking of switching over to olive oil for my personal use knives.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

I've tried olive oil and it works great for personal current use knives. Its even light enough to use very small amounts to keep electric razor blades lubricated. Doesn't cause skin irritation either (just in case anyone uses old time straight razors for shaving)...Ouch!....

Only problem is that it does eventually turn rancid. You can't predict when because of variables such as storage temperature, freshness & shelflife from the press, and contamination. It doesn't get severe a severe smell like animal based greases and oils, just an off smell and discoloration. Eventually, after years, gets gummy too. For personal use it works fine. But for long term storage, I'd stick with the packing grease, wax, or one of the products already mentioned.

Khukuris seem to be known as a multipurpose tool. I think a small one used as a camp knife SHOULD be oiled w/ olive or peanut, or better yet
wink.gif
seseame oil! That way, it could dice n slice while using it as a spatula and seasoning for stir fry! YEEEEEEE DAWGIES! Looking forward to camping already.
smile.gif

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 & John 3:18

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited 13 September 1999).]

Back