Review How does Rit Dyed Spyderco FRN hold up?

I love The Spyderco Salt line in H1 but I do not like bright yellow handles.
dCmBm3Jh.jpg
fIRpg6Uh.jpg

Yes, a lot of the line comes in black FRN. I like that a lot better than yellow but black handles are so common and sort of bland as well. With that said, I took it upon myself to try dyeing some Salt variants, that only come in yellow, to green. The results were outstanding:

uTf1ZNZh.jpg
zASOZCLh.jpg
1LxUYQYh.jpg

Okay, Great! Now I have some of my favorite H1 blades in a color I dig. So far, the Rit Dye color had been holding good through normal EDC tasks. I wondered how it would hold up to some more harsh aquatic conditions. I had a chance to put that to the test over the summer.

We had 3 days planned at North America's largest indoor water park. My daughter was more than thrilled. Me, I knew we would be soaked in harsh chlorine (and god knows what else) for several days. Perfect test for the dyed FRN!

The Dragon Fly II stayed clipped to my shorts for 3 days. I was taking no chance on losing it so I tightened the clip down a bunch. Went on more large water slides than I care to remember. Even when we were not in the water, the knife was still on my shorts, hanging in the shower, and never fully dried out. The before color is above. Here is the after compared the SpyderHawk I had dyed.

dDbjiqUh.jpg

As you can see it lightened a bit. Still pretty good for all the chemicals it was exposed to for 3 days without relief. A 30 second dip back in the dye at it was good to go again. I could have dipped it for less time but I like the darker look anyway.

V97kWh4h.jpg

U9EimDdh.jpg

So, if you are thinking about dyeing your Spyderco FRN I wouldn't worry about the durability that much. Even if it does lighten it is an easy fix so long as you didn't make some complicated pattern or something. Thanks for reading!

I love The Spyderco Salt line in H1 but I do not like bright yellow handles.
dCmBm3Jh.jpg
fIRpg6Uh.jpg

Yes, a lot of the line comes in black FRN. I like that a lot better than yellow but black handles are so common and sort of bland as well. With that said, I took it upon myself to try dyeing some Salt variants, that only come in yellow, to green. The results were outstanding:

uTf1ZNZh.jpg
zASOZCLh.jpg
1LxUYQYh.jpg

Okay, Great! Now I have some of my favorite H1 blades in a color I dig. So far, the Rit Dye color had been holding good through normal EDC tasks. I wondered how it would hold up to some more harsh aquatic conditions. I had a chance to put that to the test over the summer.

We had 3 days planned at North America's largest indoor water park. My daughter was more than thrilled. Me, I knew we would be soaked in harsh chlorine (and god knows what else) for several days. Perfect test for the dyed FRN!

The Dragon Fly II stayed clipped to my shorts for 3 days. I was taking no chance on losing it so I tightened the clip down a bunch. Went on more large water slides than I care to remember. Even when we were not in the water, the knife was still on my shorts, hanging in the shower, and never fully dried out. The before color is above. Here is the after compared the SpyderHawk I had dyed.

dDbjiqUh.jpg

As you can see it lightened a bit. Still pretty good for all the chemicals it was exposed to for 3 days without relief. A 30 second dip back in the dye at it was good to go again. I could have dipped it for less time but I like the darker look anyway.

V97kWh4h.jpg

U9EimDdh.jpg

So, if you are thinking about dyeing your Spyderco FRN I wouldn't worry about the durability that much. Even if it does lighten it is an easy fix so long as you didn't make some complicated pattern or something. Thanks for reading!
Great pics!

Did you disassemble all of them? If not, how did you dye the scalesand does the dye affect the hardware and blade?

Great pics!

Did you disassemble all of them? If not, how did you dye the scalesand does the dye affect the hardware and blade?
I did disassemble the folders just to make sure I got under the hardware. The second time I did the Dragon Fly I did not disassemble it. The dye does not affect the hardware or blade on these Salt knives I did like a 1 to 3 or 4 ratio of dye to water, brought it to a boil, and submerged for 1-2 minutes. Maybe added a bit of vinegar. Super easy.

Thanks for sharing cray. I did the same with my Dragonfly Salt. The Rit color I used was Royal Blue which gave me a similar green as yours. What color Rit did you use?

I used a wine color Rit on a yellow Salt 2 and it came out a medium brown.

Those came out awesome, love the green. I'm always kind of surprised at how good the rit dye works.

Good info....thanks for posting this. It a will useful resource that we a can reference.

Thanks for sharing cray. I did the same with my Dragonfly Salt. The Rit color I used was Royal Blue which gave me a similar green as yours. What color Rit did you use?

I used a wine color Rit on a yellow Salt 2 and it came out a medium brown.
I believe I used dark green. Blue makes sense though to get green out of yellow.

I just got the fish hunter, was there any loosening in the blades fitting from the injection mold FRN/blade play after dying in hot water? I’m concerned the near boil water may cause the FRN mold to expand and the blade may become loose.

I just got the fish hunter, was there any loosening in the blades fitting from the injection mold FRN/blade play after dying in hot water? I’m concerned the near boil water may cause the FRN mold to expand and the blade may become loose.
No play on the fish hunter. I've done quite a few spyderco frn folders now with no expanding at all.

No play on the fish hunter. I've done quite a few spyderco frn folders now with no expanding at all.
Okay cool thank you, I’ve also done a few of the h1 folders but not a fixed blade yet which is why i was curious, appreciate the info, have a good day

Just a little update to this. So I did this dye job on a Pacific Salt 2 LC200N back in July 2021. This is what it looks like after tons of EDC and about 7,000 miles of IWB carry while road cycling. This thing was constantly covered in sweat and the show side was either against my skin or synthetic fabric. You can see how faded one side is compared to the other. It needs another Rit bath!

K13HVaCh.jpg

eLHWRhXh.jpg

Okay cool thank you, I’ve also done a few of the h1 folders but not a fixed blade yet which is why i was curious, appreciate the info, have a good day
No problem. I'm trying to remember how I did the fish hunter. I believe it was in ceramic pint size glass that I poured the heated dye in so it could sit vertical. So the temp wasn't boiling but pretty close.

Back