How I clean my Sebenza (with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned both my Lrg. Sebenzas just minutes ago with the aid of this thread. It was very easy and everything went smooth, but I wouldn't even have tried it without this post Thanks again.

When he first posted this thread, Ted had asked me to get Chris to look over the details just to make sure that everything was correct. I have to apologize that it has taken us so long – we had some vacation days, then we had company and all of this seems to make the days evaporate. Yesterday, I had the post ready to submit – was just organizing the photos – and I lost everything I had written (I have still not managed to get much beyond just barely capable with my computer!:)). Here is another try today!

Ted, you have done a fantastic job on this thread – informative, clear and well presented. Thank you!

Chris has made just a couple of comments:
When disassembling a Sebenza, undo the pivot screw, remove it and the pin and then slide the blade out. You can see the pressure on Chris' thumb as he is pushing the blade left.

Set the blade aside, then undo and remove the other two screws and pins. This way is a little safer and overall it’s a bit easier.

Concerning lubricants – we absolutely recommend our Fluorinated Grease. This is not because we want to sell more of it :) but because it fits best with our tolerances. Other types are either to thin and they dissipate too readily or they are too thick and offer too much resistance.

When lubricating the blade, in addition to both sides of the surface of the blade around the pivot hole, also sparingly put lube inside the hole and on the flat of the blade against which the locking bar seats when the knife is open.

There is no need to put lube between the washers and the handle, nor is it necessary to do any super special polishing of the washers. Just make sure they are clean (rub them flat on a piece of paper towel to remove existing lube and any dirt that may be sticking to them) – you don’t want to get into a situation where you have altered the thickness of the washer because you are going to get problems with side play.

Ted’s description of the assembly is 100%.

Thanks for your patience everyone - and enjoy!!

Anne

Originally posted by Nic Ramirez
Now we just need a (pic)tutorial how to retie the damn lanyard!

Here it is... :)

righthandcoilknot.jpg

I just updated the procedures with the tips from Chris on how to dis-assemble.

Ted

Ted, have you emailed CRK to ask them to stickie this at the top of the forum?

I asked it the first time but I guess Anne missed it. I'll ask her again.
Cheers,
Ted

bttt

...send mail twice now to CRK, guess they are really busy...

Last time Anne called the place a 'Zoo' after Blade ;):)

Outstanding, glad I found this tread. I use to use the sandwich method also with repeated attempts before success, but now it's a cinch with these instructions. Hope they make it a stickie.

I am one of those Johnny-come-lately to this thread. It is a great tutorial. Having said that I must now sit down and plan to get a Sebenza!

Cleaned my Benza tonight, excellent tutorial. I had put gun oil in it before :rolleyes:, and it made it so loose that I could flick it fast open with the thumb stud. Got a free sample of Militec (am I the only one who thinks that stuff smells kinda good?) and did the knife just now....feels totally new and different. Thanks for the effort!

Ash

------I- -j--u--ss t-a-ke --mi--ne down-- to the beach and stick it up n down in the sand.--
-Then a -rinse --in the surf-------------------------------------------------------------------------.------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back