How is everyone doing in the current heat wave?

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Those affected by the heat wave, how are you holding up? It's been tough for me to get in the hours I want at the shop. It gets brutal by 2:00 pm and I have to call it a day. Heat treating is pure misery. Try opening the door of a kiln at 1700 to 2000 degrees on a day when the heat index is 110 dwgrees.:eek:
Scott

When I stopped by the other day I was wondering how you do it...I didn't even really think about the kiln (duh!), but I was thinking how you really can't have shorts on there and also need to have a hat on and the respirator.

It's been pretty uncomfortable during the days here...a lot of sitting in the house without AC sweating, but it's been manageable and at night we have the window unit, so not unbearable.

It was almost 110 in Chattanooga yesterday afternoon. Oppressive. I don't see how people managed before air conditioning.

No AC at home. Plenty of fluids, sitting in front of the fan. Those buff rags really work too. Very cool in the basement, except for three panting labradors wanting to hog the fan :D....

Well it has been hot here and dry.I am hoping for some soaking rain.That big wild fire that burned 21,000 acres of forest up here was only 14 miles north of me.Everything is just so dry it would not take much for another wild fire. You men stay cool!

No AC at home. Plenty of fluids, sitting in front of the fan. Those buff rags really work too. Very cool in the basement, except for three panting labradors wanting to hog the fan :D....

Hah, your dogs too? Mine hate the heat...if they're not hogging the fan they are staring at me with a look that says, "why aren't you changing this?".

Yeah, Friday was rough for me, I was working on the side of a house in the direct sun for like 10 hours

Hah, your dogs too? Mine hate the heat...if they're not hogging the fan they are staring at me with a look that says, "why aren't you changing this?".

The youngest cries/howls because it's so hot. He's a big pup, and just like this fat guy, hates the heat. He laid in his pool on Saturday for about 10 minutes non stop, and actually growled at the other two if they tried to get in.

They've dug holes all over the back yard trying to get to the cool earth, looks like a mine field.

Seems like no let up anytime soon with this heat. Maybe the end of the week alittle cooler in the mid 80's.
Scott

Looks like mid to upper 80's all week next week. Taking a trip to Bass Pro in Harrisburg, the caves nearby, Roots and Country Knives in Lancaster, all on Tuesday. Glad to get some good weather. Otherwise I would've been working.

Hoping to be standing in line at the MVA to get my tags etc for my truck though ;).

Yep! This heat just sucks here in Missouri we've been setting records that have been held since 1936. Its been over 100 degrees here for 9 days in a row i believe. I work in construction i've been drinking lots of gatorade and water and staying covered up with long sleeved shirts and such. That heat just sucks the life out of you. They say some relief next week with lower temps i can't wait. I'm tired of working in soaken wet clothes all day. I knew i should have stayed in school,:( but i'll say one thing i'm pretty acclimated to the weather thats for sure. Thanks Scott for asking and stay cool brother just pray for fall.:thumbup:

Doug

I hear you Doug. I feel for you guys that have to work out in this heat. My shop gets up to about 90+ degrees, worst when I've got to heat treat. I have fans but they just blow the hot air around. Still keeps me somewhat cool. I have some blades to do but they will have to wait until next week. I outta buy stock in Vitamin Water. I drink at least 3 or 4 bottles a day plus regular water. Feel like a bloated toad at the end of the day.
Scott

Ive been outside working in it everyday at APG...gotta wear jeans, boots, gloves, hardhat, safety glasses and a vest all the time :( I feel like Im being basted in my own sweat :barf:

Finally bought a window unit. Tomorrow will be hell! I have to go down to my grandmothers house, right inside the city off Belair RD, to cut grass, rake up leaves and clean up debris from last week's storm. Hoping to be there about 5AM, and home in the AC, by about 930/10. I feel bad for all of the people without power in this mess. 105 tomorrow in the city, it will be a cold snap on the state line at a frigid 98 degrees!

Sunday will be an absolute mess with all of the storms, but if we're going to have at least two weeks of sub 90 degree weather, let's go for it!

How hot is it?

It is too hot to go swimming.

That is friggin hot!

This afternoon I hid inside with my two year old daughter and made pizza. She always loves kneading the dough.

Thank you so much whomever invented air conditioning.

-Stan

85 degrees next week will feel so good. This kind of weather is why I only like spring and fall.

65-85 with little to no humidity is great. 80-85 on the shore, fishing, is what I look forward to every year. Scott, I don't know how you can HT in this weather.

Back