How much damage can a Busse .....

How much damage can a Busse take before it is replaced(maybe for free)?

He is the story. My cousin, Doug, went on a camping trip last week, and knew I have a piglet collection of Busses. He wanted to pack fairly light and wanted a Busse for camp duty. So I let him borrow my SJCG, it has always served me well on camping and hiking trips.

A week later,he returned safely. Doug said that the SJ performed really well for him. He said, he used it to chop wood, clean fish, kitchen duty, digging out rocks from under his tent and fire starting. I asked, "What do you mean firestarting and digging?" Then he showed me my SJ. The poor baby was battered and naked. He wore almost all the coating off the blade, and the tip to about two inches down the blade was more dinged up than I had ever seen. No chips out of the blade, but there is some good size rolling on the edge.

Then the biggest thing that now has me worried is what my cousin did to my SJ after giving it a good beating. He has a bigger heart than brain sometimes. He wanted to polish it up before giving it back to me. He used his Dremel(sp) to polish it, but with a sanding bit. :mad: :mad:

How would I know if he burned out the tempering? Would it start chipping?

Please tell me I am not the only person who has lent out a Busse and had to returned really loved. I know that Cliff broke his Basic#7 and got a new one. Can I have the Coating redone at a later or maybe a real satin finish, and if so how much and how long is a normal turn around. Thanks

Darkjedi - May the Force be with you always.

Ah man you got the raw end of the stick, it's always more fun when you get to break it in properly BEFORE you loan it out:D:p:D

It sounds like your Satin Jack was initiated just fine, but the beatings must continue on a regular basis:cool:

Other than a little resharpening, and as long as he didn't get the blade too hot (could he still touch the worked on spots after the Devil Tool work?) it should be ok.

If the edge work is more than you want to deal with just call the shop to set up shipping it in for the new edge treatment. I believe all it costs is the return shipping (somebody please correct me if that's changed).

The shop number is 419-923-6471, ask for Blade Babe or the Shagmeister:)

DarkJwdi2,
As my Grandmother would say "Well bless his heart". The poor guy meant well.
So post some pics! I would like to see this knife after all that.
:D

Nick

~Nuclear INFIdel and Aspiring INFI Hog~
pubimage.asp

how much wood would a woodchuck chuk if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

insane am i? ...just a bit

I heard $65- to refinish at the shop.

To have it refinished costs about $60 IIRC (satin, double cut, whatever you want). Sounds like everything went fine except for the dremel thing...

Yeah, we want pics! Man hearing about untrained folks using electric grinding tools on knives makes me cringe. When I was in high school I saved my dollars for a Buckmaster. My well meaning father decided he was going to sharpen it on his new grinder he got for the kitchen knives at the restaurant. The slots in the grinder weren't wide enought though and it got hung up and I now have a buckmaster with a very ugly grind mark on the blade. I nearly weep when I see it. I can't even look at the thing, I don't even know where I have it holed away now. I was mad as hell when he did it and I know he felt bad. Makes me sad to think about it these days since he died a few years back. The shop will set you up man.

You would want to be really trying to burn the temper out of the blade with a dremel and a sanding bit. The blade will also discolor as the temper is effected, from straw to blue to black.

-Cliff

I am curious as to how if you regrind a blade after it has been heat treated a lready will it damage the temper? In other words when I send a knife back to the shop to be reground does that effect the temper of the edge.

Sending the knife back to the shop will not blow out the temper. Why? Because they are professionals. :) They know to not let the blade get more than warm as they grind.

Even a Dremel can be used (for making choils & Busse style serrations in my case) without blowing out the temper, as long as you either grind really slow (stone in contact with the balde for short durations) or dip the blade occasionally in a bucket of cold water to take the heat out of it. Baptising the blade occasionally with cold beer should also work. ;)

Baptising the blade occasionally with cold beer should also work.
Yeah I've heard rumors that the Busse shop quenches their ...err...I mean OUR blades in CBL :D seems to work pretty good too ;)
Oh and Jerry if you're not quenching with CBL, you should start quenching at least one model or variant in CBL, that way you could start expensing your CBL bill. My accountant who just maved here last year from Houston says it's legit (I think he used to work for Enron or Arthur Anderson or something) :rolleyes:

Darkjedi2,
Thats to bad.Some people just don't realize what they are doing.I'd be pissed if someone borrowed my new knife and did that.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.:D

Apparently he did not burn out the temper, because there are not discolorations(sp). The blade just looks like a Drunk person tried to put a line grain finish on him.

I am going to try and smooth out the "NEW" finish by chopping him through some old harden maple wood, then wash him up in some beer.:D

If I can find a relative with Digicam, I will snap off a few pics.

DarkJedi2,
I was wondering how to refinish a beat up blade. :D

Nick

~Nuclear INFIdel and Aspiring INFI Hog~
pubimage.asp

Ya know I can relate to your woes,You can always tell someone who knows blades and those who do not.I NEVER dig with my main knife you just dont do it unless you have to.I also never pry with my knife unless I have to.In my opinion a blade should be used but used properly.When after a long day at camp,on the canoe all day or fileting all day that night I always sit down by the fire and lightly strop the blade on my ceramic followed by a leather strop so that the blade never loses its finess and never needs to be ground hard to get back its edge.If every one did this all the time sharpening would be much simpler and greatly extend the life of the blade.

Originally posted by marsupial
I NEVER dig with my main knife you just dont do it unless you have to.I also never pry with my knife unless I have to.

Ummmmm.....don't ever loan your knife to me then ;):D:D

You might be very unhappy when it is returned :D

INFI is very weird and cool stuff. I believe it takes a much higher heat to ruin its temper than most other steels. Also, IIRC, if you DO affect the temper is will actually get harder.

We make war that we may live in peace. --Aristotle--
Andrew I just noticed this in your sig. line VERY TRUE!!! In fact that would make a great counter protest sign to take to one of these anti-war rallies. Succinct, to the point and from an impeccable sage of ancient wisdom! Cool sig line :cool:

I'd like to see some also! Thankfully I've never had one come back that bad. The only time I've had a knife get wrecked was when my Father got drunk and decided to modify the finish on a knife when I was a kid. Needless to say, I tried to keep everything away from him after that!

Back