how much do you use your axe(s)?

i don't want to compete just to know if i am just axe enthousiast or damned crazy!

I don't use it as much as I want. But on every camping trip I take an ax or hatchet. I camp two or three times a month. Some camps just for the day, others stay in the field for three to four days.
I've always really liked axes and I've already greatly improved my skills with this blade, including clear hunting with just a hatchet.
In addition to really enjoying using them, I collect them. I have almost 100 axes and hatchets, all of them have been used.

Pretty much never. I use them a bit during hunting season but that is it. I live in an apartment, so not a lot of frontier adventure opportunities around here lol.

When I was a kid, we heated our home with firewood.

An axe, maul, hookaroon, cant hook, VW Bug powered piston splitter towed by a long bed truck with slats, and chained tires was our thing.

Farmers would let us take undesirable trees from pasture. Cut em up, split them, and stack them in the barn.

Great memories and hard work.

These days it's mostly for firewood for fun and cooking. Not nearly as much.

I only use my CRK&T Berzerker Bearded Axe and Cold Steel Bad Axe when im in Europe on a village pillage.... so, not much..

Used two new axes just today to clear away some dead limbs that fell on my front lawn after these nasty storms here in CA.

Happy to report that the H&B Forge belt axe and the Gransford Bruks Wildlife hatchet both performed beautifully. Both used most for delimbing fallen branches and chopping branches into smaller pieces. Broke out the Silky Big Boy as well for some of the bigger stuff. Always impressed at how well these saws perform. I love my axes but when it comes to the big stuff, nothing like a saw

For me its somewhat seasonal, I use my hatchet a couple times a week in the winter when I'm doing more exploring. As well I try to do some bucking with the axe through the winter just for exercise/ practice. In the spring I get my firewood so its a whole lot of splitting for about a month, then camping in the summer and fall which tends to be more sporadic use than in the winter.

Every chance I get which isn't as often as I'd like. Cut a bunch of branches last fall for the sister in law. Did not even seem like work, I was really enjoying swinging the axe and hatchet. I figure someday when I get my cabin in the woods I'll have plenty of axes and hatchets at my disposal.

I use my coyote pack axe on average a couple time a week. Splitting axe a bunch in the spring, and larger chopping axe infrequently. Dog

Actually used one to gather firewood?

~2008

To bust up smoking chunks on the grill?

I don't know, maybe 3 months ago?

There's a nice mini hatchet in the garage. Fiskers. The one laying in the yard, Estwing.

Back