How to break in a Vanson leather jacket?

Ok, got a Vanson "Rock and Roll" jacket. Similar to the "Highwayman." Built like a tank. 8.5 pounds. Even has a built in gun pocket. Police model and replica of the 1950s -- 1960s.

Stiff as armor. Feel very safe in it, but still would like a little more mobility. Other than wearing it 24 hours a days, what can I do to loosen/soften this up a bit?

Something I can spray on, rub in, whatever?

Neatsfoot oil. Rubbed in, let to self-dry, then some more neatsfoot. At least two applications. Then you wear it and let the fibers stretch to your massive musculature.

After first treatments, avoid saturating the seams since the oil degrades the stitching with continued repeated application.

You will look soooooooo cool.

Chicks dig leather-clad bikers.

Ask Anne.

I would use Lexol. Mainly wear the jacket. It will take quite a bit of wearing to make it feel broken in...because the leather is so thick. Mine would stand on their own in the corner. Actually, after four riding seasons they still might do that.

Your hide will be well protected if you ever take a spill, and you won't see your jacket being worn by many other riders. I've maybe seen two other Vanson jackets being worn by motorcyclists I've encountered while riding. A "wife beater" tee and flip-flops are much more common...lol.

Jeff

edit to add that Vanson sells their own leather conditioner. If you want to take the safe route, buy and use that. I am betting that it is a lot like Lexol, but who knows.

JD

Take out your least favorite motorcycle.
Accelerate to 55mph
Take a deep breath
Let go
...don't forget to tuck and roll
That outta break it in nicely;):thumbup:

Seriously, Kis' idea is what I would do.
Be careful out there, for realsies.

Jake

Kismet said:
Neatsfoot oil. Rubbed in, let to self-dry, then some more neatsfoot. At least two applications. Then you wear it and let the fibers stretch to your massive musculature.

After first treatments, avoid saturating the seams since the oil degrades the stitching with continued repeated application.

You will look soooooooo cool.

Chicks dig leather-clad bikers.

Ask Anne.

I am afraid that my "Massive Musculature" has shifted downward and exists now right around my belt!

But chicks DO dig the leather.

Got another Vanson like mine for Anne. I like chicks in leather. Maybe because the smell of leather reminds me of a new truck interior!

Looking for neatsfoot and Lexol.

Thanks, Guys.

I'll break it in for you and send it back afterwards. I promise

Cool! Cause I've got this pair of underwear that just never feels..well, comfy? and if you wouldn't mind?...:rolleyes: :p :D

MauiRob said:
Cool! Cause I've got this pair of underwear that just never feels..well, comfy? and if you wouldn't mind?...:rolleyes: :p :D

Looking for some underwear also. The "D" cup boxers are so hard to find! :rolleyes:

MauiRob said:

No sweat, but I may wind up stretching them out a bit.

Around the waist, I mean.

Bill Marsh said:
Ok, got a Vanson "Rock and Roll" jacket. Similar to the "Highwayman." Built like a tank. 8.5 pounds. Even has a built in gun pocket. Police model and replica of the 1950s -- 1960s.

Stiff as armor. Feel very safe in it, but still would like a little more mobility. Other than wearing it 24 hours a days, what can I do to loosen/soften this up a bit?

Something I can spray on, rub in, whatever?

Bill...why not just e-mail Vanson and ask them? They have replied to several of my questions before. I am a bit worried about the neatsfoot oil idea. I mistakenly oiled a Galco holster years ago and it became too soft to be of much good as a holster any longer. You spent big $$ on the Vanson. Ask the experts. JMHO.

Jeff

Ballistol
Clothes dryer (NO heat)
half-dozen baseballs
run it long time -- when nobody's home

============

fwiw
apparently a lot of neetsfoot oil / compound
is mostly or all somethig else
usually mineral oil

iirc
there's a US government document that long ago
specified the criteria for neetsfoot oil
& containing real neetsfoot oil
was not a criteria listed to be labeled as such.

:rolleyes:
<:eek:> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:)> JMO-M2C-fWiW-iIRC-YMMV-fYI-TiA-YW-GL ***Caution: Not all ideas originating in this brain are entirely based on empirical data.
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

No Neatsfoot...

Wear it...23 hours a day for a little bit longer than if you were wearing it 24 a day.

I see noobs all the time either in their shiney and oily jackets or in their *instant biker* fashion leather. *Treating* it is one thing...but it *was* just treated at the factory.

Let it get it's personality honestly...run a few thousand mailes through it and it will be starting to get relaxed...several thousand more and a couple of bar fights and it will almost be comfortable...many thousands of miles, more bar fights, a bunch of parties, a lot of time served as a ground cloth during romantic encounters and it will become yours...you will be able to pick it out of a crowd of thousands by it's character.

Earned honestly...

FWIW, I know my Brother Johnny's jacket and I think he'd know mine.

Nasty said:
No Neatsfoot...

Wear it...23 hours a day for a little bit longer than if you were wearing it 24 a day.

I see noobs all the time either in their shiney and oily jackets or in their *instant biker* fashion leather. *Treating* it is one thing...but it *was* just treated at the factory.

Let it get it's personality honestly...run a few thousand mailes through it and it will be starting to get relaxed...several thousand more and a couple of bar fights and it will almost be comfortable...many thousands of miles, more bar fights, a bunch of parties, a lot of time served as a ground cloth during romantic encounters and it will become yours...you will be able to pick it out of a crowd of thousands by it's character.

Earned honestly...

FWIW, I know my Brother Johnny's jacket and I think he'd know mine.

That's an excellent post, Nasty. These jackets do take on their own life with age and wear. My heavy jacket is broken in and smooth, scuffed on the back, old pins from long ago rallies clinging to the collar by nothing more than magic and memories I'd guess. My father's jacket that he outgrew but still had a lot of riding left in it. My father casts a long shadow with the biking community around here. "Son of Wayne" is known by this raggedy "inferior" jacket now. I don't mind much.

Jake

Bill I concur that the best thing to do is to write the company and ask them what to use.
I've long used Tandy's Carnuba Cream too soften leather.
I've used it on everything from a very old hard horsehide leather valise to very stiff cowboy boots and it performs miracles almost.
The nice thing about the Carnuba Cream is that it doesn't change the color of the leather or rot the thread but it may not be what you need for your new jacket.

I agree with Nasty. Wear it a lot. Even for half an hour while you're sitting at the computer chatting here. It will break in. Might take a year or two, but it will probably outlast most everything else you own, so what's a year?

Nice jacket.

Bamboo

Thanks guys. Will email Vanson. Let you know what they say.

Right now the jacket is standing in a corner. Really. But I love it.

ddean said:

Ballistol
Clothes dryer (NO heat)
half-dozen baseballs
run it long time -- when nobody's home

This is really appealing, but I probably won't do it. Probably won't. Are you serious ddean?

Bill Marsh said:
I like chicks in leather. Maybe because the smell of leather reminds me of a new truck interior!

Bill, If you like chicks in leather because they remind you of a new truck, you're waaaaaay to old for that jacket.:D :p

Steve

>>Clothes dryer (NO heat)
>>half-dozen baseballs
>>run it long time -- when nobody's home

This is really appealing, but I probably won't do it. Probably won't. Are you serious ddean?

Absolutely
Softened up a new canvas tarp just couple days ago

haven't tried leather of any type yet
but I surely will

baseballs will mash, massage & gently beat the leather into submission
should make it more wearable
then you can wear it to break in the scuffs & bend wrinkles

Start slow
No oil or any treatment
try 5 minutes,
15 minutes,
1 hour,
2 hours,
proceed as you see fit
based on the progress seen

tough leather may take several hours to get much perceptable result

<:eek:> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:)> JMO-M2C-fWiW-iIRC-YMMV-fYI-TiA-YW-GL ***Caution: Not all ideas vented from this brain are entirely based on empirical data.
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

Inspired by this thread, I got out my old jacket. The good jacket, and put it on. The memories flooded back. Why did I get a bike jacket anyway? Oh yeah, Those two 'leather enthusiast' friends were stuck for the rent on their new store. Still fits, and it feels good. How'd I break it in? I just wore it. A couple Pride weeks, a couple fights, a couple winters, and a lot of fun and there you go. Why'd I stop wearing this anyway? I got sick, It was heavy to wear after that. What's this in the pocket? No, not that pocket...an old compact, some unidentified pills, Canadian and American money, and an invite card for a dubious Provincetown women's association.

It still looks good, even though I haven't worn it since the mid 90's : ) I'd have to say Nasty is right.

Back