How to CARRY FIRE?

HM

In several of the posted exercises there was no obvious fire starter listed. Assuming that for some reason you do not have any (by mistake or act of fate) you rely on some friction method. IF you succeed you certainly don't want to repeat it at every time (unless practicing or a masochist).

So.......HOW WOULD YOU CARRY YOUR FIRE? What materials would/could you use? How would bad weather affect it?

Few ideas to play with, possibly:
-tin box with dirt and glowing ember
-wood punk and ember
-tin can (coffee, Coke, pot)
-fire bundle from.....?
-torch?
-4" thick wood stick with carved hole in it
etc.

Thanks for any input,

HM

This was a common practice with many native tribes, some methods were; coals wrapped in tinder bundle or peat and carried in a large clam shell, wrapped in green bark, end of hallow stick, metal pot, buffalo horn, big horn sheep horn, you get the picture. The trick is to give the ember enuff fuel to keep burning but not enuff air to burst into flames. Must be wrapped fairly tight. Deffenetly somthing that would need some practice at to get it right.

Thanks Ice for the quick respone.
Is there any safe way to say/estimate how much air should be allowed to keep ember glowing (total airtight tin can or let's say with 'one 1mm hole on top')?

I was thinking about my campfires embers that survived the night even under a layer of dirt (quite anaerobic!). Can I extrapolate it into an airtight tin can with (or without) a hole and ember inside? That might cut on the 'experience/difficulty' factor.

Thanks,

HM

Check out that old (well, early '80's anyway) movie QUEST FOR FIRE they show how it's done there. BTW this was Rae Dawn Chong's first movie in which she only wears body paint! eek!

------------------
Stay sharp and be Safe!

[This message has been edited by V.Oller (edited 01-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by V.Oller (edited 01-16-2000).]

I believe LDO describes a fire bundle in his Outdoor Survival Skills book. I've not tried it, but he suggests fashioning a pretty thick bundle ('bout an inch and a half) in the manner of making a large cigar, using grasses and other tinder. He does suggest carrying two of them lit, and when one gets low or goes out, stopping, building a new fire, and making a new one.

I would not feel comfortable carrying fir in a metal tin, I use altoids tins to make charcloth, and they do a good job of putting that great spark catcher out, so I imagine if it were totally sealed off, it would die pretty fast. A fire banked under a layer of dirt does get air to it, just a very small amount, but it's nowhere near completely sealed off, just well insulated and smouldering.

Stryver

I have carried fire in bark and in a tin. Both were done using the following method.

The live coals were encircled with dry punk wood and damp grass (or damp leaves) in that order. Then it was all covered with either a heavy thick bark (like birch) or placed into a small metal can.

When using bark the outside was held together with line and I always shaped it like a cigar.

If using a metal can I always made ventilation holes in the sides.

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Great post HM!!! Had to dig out the old Olsen Outdoor Survival Skills book. That's why I keep coming back to this forum. I have a pair of old solid fuel hand warmer cases. These should serve the purpose. Hey, Greg I found myself eyeing my in-law's birch trees yesterday. Well, at least it's good to know where you can get some if you need them.

Hi Barry and all in Birch country,

I sure would like a garbage bag full of the stuff. Don't have any around here and am almost out (I use it in my classes when demonstrating the many different natural tinders available). Anyone got some they want to send my way
biggrin.gif
?

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Put a good dry layer of moss on the bottom of any old can or fire proof container and put a layer of moss on all the walls of the can add a huge amount of red coals then top it off with more dry moss. To reignite the coals just blow gently on them. I have done this several times and had a %75-$80 succes rate. Hope this helps. Geoff.

Greg:
I'll be travelling through Washington in early July and could drop some off for you. I'll probably be coming down the ferry. If you get desperate enough you'd like some mailed, drop me a line and we'll work something out.

Stryver

Back