How to clean a Leatherman?

Does anyone know where I can find info on how to clean my Leatherman Core? I work at McDonald's and I use it everyday for fixing things. It gets greasy and yucky. I was going to give it a WD-40 bath or something but I am not sure what to do.

Here's the info from Leatherman:

Cleaning Methods

If your Leatherman has been exposed to salt water or marine environments, it should be thoroughly rinsed in fresh water, dried, and lubricated with a water-displacing product.
If stains or rust spots appear, refer to the Rust and Corrosion section above for removal tips.
If debris or sticky substances have accumulated between the blades, your Leatherman may also be cleaned in a mild solution of detergent and water.
To remove tar and similar substances, clean your Leatherman with turpentine or other mineral spirits. Do not use chlorine products.
After cleaning, dry your Leatherman and apply a light machine oil or a water-displacing product (WD-40®) to force out moisture trapped in the joints. This also helps protect the tool from further corrosion and sticking.

Rust and Corrosion

All Leatherman products are manufactured from 100% high-grade stainless steel. (Exception: Screw bits for the tool adapter are made of tool steel.) But stainless steel is not rust proof; it is corrosion resistant. Depending on the mix of metal alloys, stainless steels may be highly corrosion resistant and relatively soft (like kitchen flatware), or they may be somewhat corrosion resistant and quite hard. Our products are fabricated from the latter type, so your tool components are strong and the knives retain a sharp cutting edge. Consequently, corrosion can occur in the absence of proper maintenance. Your Leatherman product should be cleaned, dried and re-oiled periodically to inhibit rust and corrosion. This is especially true if you use it in a damp or marine environment. After cleaning, re-oil pivoting areas with a light machine or penetrating type oil (such as WD-40). Buff stained surfaces with a polishing cloth or non-metallic abrasive (e.g., Scotchbrite pad or soft bristle brush).

http://www.leatherman.com/owners/maintenance.aspx

Spray it down real good with WD-40, and wipe it off. Get down in there with a q-tip if necessary.

Leatherman recommends WD-40 (as a lube) on its website. As Supra stated.

Disregard if your Leatherman touches food, which I doubt. :thumbup:

You can also throw it in the dishwasher (with the tools opened up), and then immediately get it bone dry with a hair drier or heat gun (carefully). Lube with WD-40.

Depedning on how much build-up is in the joints, and if all the parts are stainless steel (ie: no nylon spacers, etc.), then you can use a product called "Break Free Powder Blast." Your local gun shop would probably have it. It comes in a spray can, with a little straw for getting into tight spots, and it works great. I use it on all my knives that need a good cleaning, then oil with mineral oil if it (the knife) will be used around food.

thx - cpr

on an all steel construction model, nothing like a soak-in a tub of warm water with a dash of dish washing soap liquid.
next, wash tool completely under a running tap of water erasing all traces of slime and soap.
finally, pour warm water over entire unit and leave to dry.
works for me!

I soak mine in warm water Dawn dish soap for about 15 minutes then I use my air compressor to blow out any debris. A little tri flow and off I go.:)

Back