How to fix my REKAT P II?

I posted here a while ago (I think...lol) that I had torn the G10 by the clip on my REKAT Pioneer II, when the bottom of the clip had gotten caught and twisted about 30 degrees because of the torque.

Since then, I've carried this knife in a IWB sheath. Good solution, but not exactly what I want.

I was looking for a way to mend the tear, probably by filling it in with some sort of material. However, as the tear was caused by the thin, top part (the small extension above the mounting hole on the clip) it is quite a thin tear. Enough to make the clip loose side to side, but very hard to insert anything in.

What would be a reasonable way to fill/fix this tear?

The only thing I could think of was to somehow coax some solder into the tear. I don't know how hard the solder would be, or if it would even work.

I don't know that it would be worth sending back to vendor...cannot get ahold of them at the phone number I find in these forums. It may not be a warrantied issue, anyway.

My wife doesn't much like the other solution...to buy the Savant...lol. Anyway, thanks for the incoming responses.

Good ole epoxy may be a way to fill her. But it is permanent as you probably already know. :(

Nakano

Well, since I'm just trying to fill the tear, if epoxy would do it, the epoxy should be fine. I'm not planning on permanently affixing the clip. I do like to use the sheath from time to time.

Thanks a lot for the idea. I'll go look into it some more.

If the pocket clip mounts similarly to a spyderco delica 98, where theres one chicago screw to hold it on , and then it fits into a channel in the handle to hold it in place, then you can epoxy it into place. I did that with delica and never had a problem with it. It was permanent though. I guess its possible you could just fill the gap wiht epoxy and leave the clip out till it dries.

I would not use solder on it. G10 is epoxy based and will melt/blister at lower temperature than the solder melts.

Blilious- I'm not going to lie and say I'm not mildly offended you think the REKAT Pioneer II isn't a real knife. I've never had any other problems with this knife, aside from what I've mentioned in this post. No, the clip setup on the REKAT isn't my favorite, but it doesn't make it a bad knife. It is still fully functional, I just cannot clip it to the top of my pocket.

What leads you to believe that this isn't a real knife? Please, enlighten me...

Matt- Thanks for the tip on G10. I had thought G10 was something used on space shuttles for reentry, or something such as that, and am very glad you informed me of this lower heat tolerance before I did anything I'd regret.

Nope, there too many "space-age" materials used on knives anymore. Gets confusing. Ceramic tiles in the nosecone of the space shuttle are similar in makeup to the ceramic used in some knife blades now a days. G10 is just several layers of glass fibers woven together in sheets, then soaked in epoxy and put under high pressure to cure. Similar to micarta only micarta has a different type of plastic as the base, and uses paper or linen instead of glass.

Yes. You know, I see descriptions of it all the time and didn't even think that it may not be what I originally thought it was. oh well...lol.

Why not get a new piece of G10 (your choice of colors) and make a new scale? Actually, you could use any material you like if you're going to replace the scale. Fixing it with epoxy would work, just remove it, put some tape on the "inside" side, slather some on the other side, let it cure, sand/grind it flush, then re-drill the hole.

The Savant is MUCH better though. I have one and like it. :)

Chris

Hey Blackwatch,just send it to me and I'll fix it and polish the G10 for like this:
fe032a78.jpg

email me if you'd be intrested!:D
Todd

Back