How to sharpen a Hinderer

Hello all, I just got my first Rick Hinderer today! It is used and I would like to work on the edge, not that it is dull but would love to make it a little sharper. Can anyone tell me the angle to use? Any help would be appericated. It is a Gen. III with spranto blade.

Thanks,
Bill

They come around 20 degrees per side (or 40 inclusive). My recommendation if you are into expensive knives is to invest in a Wicked Edge. Its a great (the best actually) sharpener
Cheers

PS: remember that they are hand sharpened so when you try to sharp it with a sharpener you will re-profile it a little bit (which is OK)

Thanks so much BBW. I have been looking at a Wicked Edge and this just may push me over the edge (no pun intended.....well maybe) Thanks again.

Right now on the website they are 20% off, I may pull the trigger on one myself.
Here's the coupon code: WE_Summer_2011

I got a great price on a WE and ordered it last week. I only hope it comes in time for Christmas so my wife can put it under the tree for me :)

I have and use the Wicked Edge. Amazing results. I have ALL the grits and strops. Makes for some scarey sharp edges. Enables you to record your settings and repeat each knife perfectly each time.
My best initial tip(s):
- Start with 100 (light strokes) DO NOT rush. Wait until you build a burr before moving on to the next level (100-200-400-600-800-1000-1200-1600 then 4 levels of leather strop 14-10-5-3.5)
- Once done you will have a beautiful edge that simply requires maintenance unless damaged. I start back at 1200 and go thru strops for touch-ups.
- Depending on your use and intent will effect what angle you may choose IF you reprofile.
WickedEdge is a nice system.

I have and use the Wicked Edge. Amazing results. I have ALL the grits and strops. Makes for some scarey sharp edges. Enables you to record your settings and repeat each knife perfectly each time.
My best initial tip(s):
- Start with 100 (light strokes) DO NOT rush. Wait until you build a burr before moving on to the next level (100-200-400-600-800-1000-1200-1600 then 4 levels of leather strop 14-10-5-3.5)
- Once done you will have a beautiful edge that simply requires maintenance unless damaged. I start back at 1200 and go thru strops for touch-ups.
- Depending on your use and intent will effect what angle you may choose IF you reprofile.
WickedEdge is a nice system.

Thanks for you help. I have seen some of the edges on Youtube and wow do they look great. Time to get one and thanks for the tips.

Bill

Thanks for you help. I have seen some of the edges on Youtube and wow do they look great. Time to get one and thanks for the tips.

Bill

You wont be dissappointed. Remember too, you will be making kitchen knives into a whole new animal (Warn the family) My wife and oldest son were warned and still forgot, ended up with some not so fond memories while washing and drying.
As for a base, I made mine out of some MDF I had laying around. Go to Walmart or your local Hardware store and get one of those little Tupperware drawer units, small one maybe 8"w x 12"d x 16"h That is a nice place to store your paddles and strops etc. I leave my W.E. out on my workbench in my shop. I bought one of those lighted magnifying glass things that mount to a table edge and are on a robot arm, was like $20.00 not expensive. Makes for a nice view of what your doing.
Good Luck!

You wont be dissappointed. Remember too, you will be making kitchen knives into a whole new animal (Warn the family) My wife and oldest son were warned and still forgot, ended up with some not so fond memories while washing and drying.
As for a base, I made mine out of some MDF I had laying around. Go to Walmart or your local Hardware store and get one of those little Tupperware drawer units, small one maybe 8"w x 12"d x 16"h That is a nice place to store your paddles and strops etc. I leave my W.E. out on my workbench in my shop. I bought one of those lighted magnifying glass things that mount to a table edge and are on a robot arm, was like $20.00 not expensive. Makes for a nice view of what your doing.
Good Luck!

Thanks again, nothing I like more that real world advice. Make it a great day.

Bill

I want to get into a wicked edge baaad, but have 0 skillz.....

This thread is convincing me otherwise:)

2011-11-30194450.jpg

Wish me luck,'cause I'm just now setting mine up. Haven't even used it yet. I'll report when I get a little time in with it. :)

I have mine set up opposite (the little hole in the blue base away from you) puts the tightening screws for the vice to your left
and the robot arms tightening screws face you. Might just be a preference issue vs functionality.
Start with some low level kitchen knives. Build a Burr and have fun.
When you get to your folders etc. Different animal, again start with a low level member of the family.
Use a Sharpie and mark your existing bevel up to edge apex (that way you will know when youve removed enough material)
S L O W Light strokes.
2011-11-30194450.jpg

Wish me luck,'cause I'm just now setting mine up. Haven't even used it yet. I'll report when I get a little time in with it. :)

That was just a picture before I ever even got going or read the instructions. I actually have it set up the way you described.

Let me tell you guys this thing is amazing. I've already sharpened two of my wife's dullest (chosen for that reason) kitchen knives. Within minutes the WE took them from where they wouldn't cut butter, to slicing paper with ease. The movements felt awkward at first but after a few minutes I was conversing with my wife and not even paying particular attention to what I was doing. It feels pretty natural after a while and your body builds the muscle memory very quickly.

I can already tell I'm going to become very fond of this thing. I like it because it's SO EASY! The set up and the actual act of sharpening couldn't be much more straight forward. Plus there's no soaking stones so there's no mess. The mount is very secure also. All in all, this thing is a real winner. I would say it is definately money well spent. I'm very happy with it. :)

I have mine set up opposite (the little hole in the blue base away from you) puts the tightening screws for the vice to your left
and the robot arms tightening screws face you. Might just be a preference issue vs functionality.
Start with some low level kitchen knives. Build a Burr and have fun.
When you get to your folders etc. Different animal, again start with a low level member of the family.
Use a Sharpie and mark your existing bevel up to edge apex (that way you will know when youve removed enough material)
S L O W Light strokes.

Cool! Congrats BP. Man you jumped right in, Excellent!

Have a blast. When you start challenging yourself to but scalpel edges on butter knives and dim witted neighbors I have a 800 number for you to call for sharpening rehab.
:D

Oh, and remember to warn the family what you are doing to the "ol" kitchen knives. They wont be expecting samurai weapons.....

Cool! Congrats BP. Man you jumped right in, Excellent!

Have a blast. When you start challenging yourself to but scalpel edges on butter knives and dim witted neighbors I have a 800 number for you to call for sharpening rehab.
:D

Oh, and remember to warn the family what you are doing to the "ol" kitchen knives. They wont be expecting samurai weapons.....

Oh believe me, I just had a long talk with the wife and daughter. . . :)

Last edited:
Ok, im sold...

That was just a picture before I ever even got going or read the instructions. I actually have it set up the way you described.

Let me tell you guys this thing is amazing. I've already sharpened two of my wife's dullest (chosen for that reason) kitchen knives. Within minutes the WE took them from where they wouldn't cut butter, to slicing paper with ease. The movements felt awkward at first but after a few minutes I was conversing with my wife and not even paying particular attention to what I was doing. It feels pretty natural after a while and your body builds the muscle memory very quickly.

I can already tell I'm going to become very fond of this thing. I like it because it's SO EASY! The set up and the actual act of sharpening couldn't be much more straight forward. Plus there's no soaking stones so there's no mess. The mount is very secure also. All in all, this thing is a real winner. I would say it is definately money well spent. I'm very happy with it. :)

Back