How to sharpen a serrated blade

Hello guys, I bought a VICTORINOX BUNDESWEHR German Military Knife, which has a serrated blade, it looks cool and slices good! But I have never used such a blade, is it easy to sharpen? And how to do it?

Not an expert here, but in my opinion, I would purchase either a spyderco sharpmaker, or a triangular ceramic rod and do what sal glesser suggests in his sharpmaker instructional youtube video. I know that some people disagree vehemently with this methodology as over time the serrations points will progressively round.

Other methods include sharpening each serration individually with a round rod or tapered rod, but it is time consuming and although that process can keep the tips more prominent, the valleys can wear more.

Thanks, sharpening each serration individually sounds a good idea, I'll try it at some time. But a suitable rod that matches the tips and valleys might be not easy to find.

If you can find one, the now discontinued Byrd Duckfoot diamond sharpener does a great job on serrations. Easier to find is a DMT Diafold serration sharpener. It is a tapered rod that at some point on its length will match most scallops. Just remember, serrations are chisel ground, i.e. all the bevel is on one side of the blade, so you need to hold the blade higher than you normally would on the bevel side to match the existing angle and flat or nearly so on the other side. It's pretty easy to scratch up your blade doing it, so if that sort of thing bothers you, work very slowly and carefully. I recently acquired a serrated Spartan that needed some attention, and the Duckfoot made short work of it.

If you can find one, the now discontinued Byrd Duckfoot diamond sharpener does a great job on serrations. Easier to find is a DMT Diafold serration sharpener. It is a tapered rod that at some point on its length will match most scallops. Just remember, serrations are chisel ground, i.e. all the bevel is on one side of the blade, so you need to hold the blade higher than you normally would on the bevel side to match the existing angle and flat or nearly so on the other side. It's pretty easy to scratch up your blade doing it, so if that sort of thing bothers you, work very slowly and carefully. I recently acquired a serrated Spartan that needed some attention, and the Duckfoot made short work of it.

Thank you for your tips!

I didn't know the Byrd duck foot was discontinued. Since Byrd is the 'economy' line of spyderco, the spyderco goldenstone sharpener looks near identical to the duckfoot.

As for finding a round of that fits, you might look at the veff sharpener too.

Last edited:
The Goldenstone sharpener is a nice tool, and the same shape as the Duckfoot, but it is also a fine ceramic as opposed to a medium diamond sharpener. It does a good job IF you have the patience to use the thing, which I generally don't.

Whatever pen like sharpener will do. EZE-LAP ST Pen Type Sharpener, Smiths Stone PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener and so on will do. I use a Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener (it has a small ceramic rod for serrated blades too) on my Victorinox Hunter XT. Sharpen one valley after another.

Back