How to throw any distance?

Bambooleaf said:
A common shuriken throw uses backspin, to prevent the forward tumble. Putting the backspin on the thrown object can be tricky but can be done with hours of practice. Many people give up because you have to perfect the throw and the power comes later through practice.

Thats intresting and new to me. So for normal rotating throws, the knife tends the spin forward right? S0o the principal of this method is like jerk it back a bit when leaving the hand. Just enough rearward motion that it goes stright?

Woah.... that takes lots of precision!:thumbup:

Wouldn't that hurt the shoulder joints having to change you swing suddenly?:confused:

There is a way to do it where you sort of let it slide out and it wants to go forward, but as you let it slide you drop your hip (keep your knees bent) and the drop can add some backspin by putting downward pressure on it, there are several ways to do this and this is just one. Another is to combine the throw with a bit of a push, you half throw half push, very hard to explain though and even harder to do at first.

You can't just throw hard like this though, you have to develop the ability to do it gently, it takes a soft touch to reduce backspin and still get the right throw. Once the throw can be done you learn to do it faster and the results become more impressive. It is said that heavier objects are more forgiving, but that the techniques are best perfected with some lighter things. I am no expert at it though, keep that in mind. I just dig throwing.

I'd expect for knives it would be good to get some grip and throw information from Ralph Thorn's book. I think I am going to end up doing that.

Bambooleaf said:
There is a way to do it where you sort of let it slide out and it wants to go forward, but as you let it slide you drop your hip (keep your knees bent) and the drop can add some backspin by putting downward pressure on it, there are several ways to do this and this is just one. Another is to combine the throw with a bit of a push, you half throw half push, very hard to explain though and even harder to do at first.

You can't just throw hard like this though, you have to develop the ability to do it gently, it takes a soft touch to reduce backspin and still get the right throw. Once the throw can be done you learn to do it faster and the results become more impressive. It is said that heavier objects are more forgiving, but that the techniques are best perfected with some lighter things. I am no expert at it though, keep that in mind. I just dig throwing.

I'd expect for knives it would be good to get some grip and throw information from Ralph Thorn's book. I think I am going to end up doing that.

Juz ordered it 2 days ago... I am EXTREMELY curious on the no spin methods. Its like a mystery to me. ANd i always want to know everything. The physics of knife throwing is very appealing to me

Cool!
I use a bit of a rope dart method, but use amy arm as the rope and focus on a clean release. The knife spike or needle needs to be placed like an extension of the forearm for this IME.

Back