How will technology change your EDC?

So at the moment I am waiting for tech to catch-up with what I need. Basically in my idealized future I would like to not have to carry keys or wallets or even a phone everywhere I go. The technology is already here it is just out of my price range. For instance if I got a brand new Samsung s7 phone that has NFC so I can tap my phone anywhere a payment terminal is available and pay with a digital card. Also if I had a smartwatch that was compatible with said phone I could pay for stuff with that and also make phone calls leaving my phone at home. With blue-tooth and a smart-lock I could unlock my door with my watch or phone. The reason I don't have these yet is it boils down to price and my land-lord will not allow me to install a smart-lock on my door.

So with that being said I did basically what I want to do the "Macgyver" way. I have a chums marsupial keychain wallet and put my keys and cards in it and velcroed that to the back of my phone. Aside from that I carry a Kubotan in my EDC. I have a pretty minimalist EDC compared to a bunch of people. My dream would be just a watch and my kubotan.

So with that ramble out of the way how will tech change your EDC?

Personally I'm not crazy about relying on electronic technology at all. The majority of my EDC is non electronic. Unless they come up with a plasma pistol and a lightsaber folder I'm not seeing any major change.

Why would you want to put all your eggs in one basket ?
Also where's the knife ? you can't perform edc cutting tasks with a kubaton.

I can see what you mean, but I like to have things like watch and flashlight regardless that they can be found in your phone. It's convenient and more effective to have them as separate tools although that way you have to carry more stuff on you.

But in other hand, I would consider myself minimalist. I like to keep my knives as small as possible without loosing utility and I only keep one credit card and bank account sheets in my wallet. I really hate carrying lots of stuff in my pockets.

Why would you want to put all your eggs in one basket ?
Also where's the knife ? you can't perform edc cutting tasks with a kubaton.

I dont see it as putting all my eggs in one basket I see it as making my life simpler. Before I velcroed my wallet to my phone I always have attached my keys to my wallet. If I get robbed it is all in one package for the guy and I am really careful with keeping track of things. Legitimately my phone is pretty much never more that an arms reach away.

Also you bring up a good topic for a thread. I dont cut stuff that often and when I do scissors are with in the area. Will have to do a poll or such about this. Outside of a "fantasy" self defense knife which in my opinion needs to be really really long I have no "need" for a knife.

I can see what you mean, but I like to have things like watch and flashlight regardless that they can be found in your phone. It's convenient and more effective to have them as separate tools although that way you have to carry more stuff on you.

But in other hand, I would consider myself minimalist. I like to keep my knives as small as possible without loosing utility and I only keep one credit card and bank account sheets in my wallet. I really hate carrying lots of stuff in my pockets.

There are cases you can buy that have a separate battery that run a flashlight so you can have an all in one solution without draining your phones battery. But yeah I can understand where your coming from.

What do you meen by "bank account sheets"? I actually pretty much just carry a debit card in my wallet unless I specifically am going somewhere that needs an ID. With how I look I rarely get carded unless I go to a bar on a Friday night and that is a rarity.

i think you can sinc your phones with bluetooth to connect to vape's now adays.

tho i dont see any other EDC stuff that tech will really get involved in.

ohh yea, they do have those bluetooth tags that you can put on your keys (and whatever). if you loose your keys and they are in range of your phone, you can find them. not the greatest idea due to the bluetooth range being very short.

maybe make a lazer compatible with the phone to control it. and or flashlights... tho i dont really see this as a good idea for either, more or less a gimmick.

fitbit and other fitness trackers and iphone watch etc are basically useless to me. ive gone through 20 fit bit devices, they are PURE JUNK. i dont want to invest in a watch that sinc's to your phone, a real watch is better (and i work in technology).

So at the moment I am waiting for tech to catch-up with what I need. Basically in my idealized future I would like to not have to carry keys or wallets or even a phone everywhere I go. The technology is already here it is just out of my price range. For instance if I got a brand new Samsung s7 phone that has NFC so I can tap my phone anywhere a payment terminal is available and pay with a digital card. Also if I had a smartwatch that was compatible with said phone I could pay for stuff with that and also make phone calls leaving my phone at home. With blue-tooth and a smart-lock I could unlock my door with my watch or phone. The reason I don't have these yet is it boils down to price and my land-lord will not allow me to install a smart-lock on my door.

So with that being said I did basically what I want to do the "Macgyver" way. I have a chums marsupial keychain wallet and put my keys and cards in it and velcroed that to the back of my phone. Aside from that I carry a Kubotan in my EDC. I have a pretty minimalist EDC compared to a bunch of people. My dream would be just a watch and my kubotan.

So with that ramble out of the way how will tech change your EDC?

I'm pretty sure the phone has to be w you while using the watch so that would be a waste of 2-300$. I have a s7 edge right now , if you ever get a Samsung phone get the edge version TRUST ME. And if you want something that tracks you or any item there's these things called tiles, pretty cheap and you can use an app for them.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the phone has to be w you while using the watch so that would be a waste of 2-300$. I have a s7 edge right now , if you ever get a Samsung phone get the edge version TRUST ME. And if you want something that tracks you or any item there's these things called tiles, pretty cheap and you can use an app for them.

With certain smart watches the phone does not have to be with you. Unless Verizon people have no clue what they are talking about which would not be a first. Also why would I want a tile?

I dont see it as putting all my eggs in one basket I see it as making my life simpler. Before I velcroed my wallet to my phone I always have attached my keys to my wallet. If I get robbed it is all in one package for the guy and I am really careful with keeping track of things. Legitimately my phone is pretty much never more that an arms reach away.

Also you bring up a good topic for a thread. I dont cut stuff that often and when I do scissors are with in the area. Will have to do a poll or such about this. Outside of a "fantasy" self defense knife which in my opinion needs to be really really long I have no "need" for a knife.

There are cases you can buy that have a separate battery that run a flashlight so you can have an all in one solution without draining your phones battery. But yeah I can understand where your coming from.

What do you meen by "bank account sheets"? I actually pretty much just carry a debit card in my wallet unless I specifically am going somewhere that needs an ID. With how I look I rarely get carded unless I go to a bar on a Friday night and that is a rarity.

Sorry I put it a little unclearly. It's the access codes/security card that I can use to access my bank account to make transactions or see my balance.

You belong to bladeforums and don't carry a knife :eek::eek::eek:
Do yourself a favor and spend 15$ on a Victorinox recruit to drop in your pocket, you'll soon realized that many things are much more easily cut than torn open.

BTW I believe that money and cards belong inbetween folded leather

With certain smart watches the phone does not have to be with you. Unless Verizon people have no clue what they are talking about which would not be a first. Also why would I want a tile?

I was talking to you and the other guy mentioning a tracker... but I did go to best buy and that's what they told me idk maybe they changed it

Here it is , it's from an article

3. Do I always need my phone to use my smartwatch?
Not always, although your phone needs to be on.

Android Wear features such as using your smartwatch as an activity tracker, setting alarms and checking the time work without being paired with your phone. Plus, you can easily manage many of its settings on your phone. It’s also worth nothing that using Wi-Fi is similar to how you use Bluetooth.

4. Does my phone need to be nearby to use my Android Wear watch?
If your smartwatch is connected to Wi-Fi, and your phone has a Wi-Fi or cellular network connection, your smartphone can be anywhere you like. The Wi-Fi network doesn’t have to be the same either.

If your smartwatch isn’t connected to Wi-Fi, keep it within 30 feet your phone. (Distance varies by phone and smartwatch.) I'm guessing that's w Bluetooth so I guess the guy was wrong

It won't - not in a significant way at least. Just like the advent of ebooks hasn't eclipsed paper books (yes, it was predicted). Just like paper money hasn't vanished in favor of all-electronic money. A swiss-knife-cellphone that lights up your way and pays your bills will fail, and needs a backup. Inherent limitations (shared battery power, for e.g.) make a cellphone flashlight less reliable than a physical flashlight. There is a adage in computing - "if its good for everything, its good for nothing".

I was talking to you and the other guy mentioning a tracker... but I did go to best buy and that's what they told me idk maybe they changed it

I generally dont believe much of what best buy people tell me. I legitimatly went to best buy to get an NFC phone and got one that they said would work and it did not have NFC, I went back and got another one that they said would have NFC it did not.

Here it is , it's from an article

3. Do I always need my phone to use my smartwatch?
Not always, although your phone needs to be on.

Android Wear features such as using your smartwatch as an activity tracker, setting alarms and checking the time work without being paired with your phone. Plus, you can easily manage many of its settings on your phone. It’s also worth nothing that using Wi-Fi is similar to how you use Bluetooth.

4. Does my phone need to be nearby to use my Android Wear watch?
If your smartwatch is connected to Wi-Fi, and your phone has a Wi-Fi or cellular network connection, your smartphone can be anywhere you like. The Wi-Fi network doesn’t have to be the same either.

If your smartwatch isn’t connected to Wi-Fi, keep it within 30 feet your phone. (Distance varies by phone and smartwatch.) I'm guessing that's w Bluetooth so I guess the guy was wrong

Will you link the article? Was it on the latest samsung gear s3? or similar smart watches? Just called verizon and they confirmed the gear s3 the latest model would do what I want with the samsung galaxy s8 plus the latest model of that phone.

It won't - not in a significant way at least. Just like the advent of ebooks hasn't eclipsed paper books (yes, it was predicted). Just like paper money hasn't vanished in favor of all-electronic money. A swiss-knife-cellphone that lights up your way and pays your bills will fail, and needs a backup. Inherent limitations (shared battery power, for e.g.) make a cellphone flashlight less reliable than a physical flashlight. There is a adage in computing - "if its good for everything, its good for nothing".

I have not boughten a phisical book in 2 or so years. It is all E-books for me.

I agree which is why when I get stuff like this I will still have a wallet and keys that I will take with me for times when I think my phone might not work or such. IE going to another state and coming back home around 3 am in the morning.

Also I am suprised no one has said the "phones can be hacked" thing yet.

Last edited:
Just as you hope to have scissors conveniently near you everytime you want to cut something instead of a dependable tool, one day you may need something and your tech will fail or not be handy.

If you are solely an urbanite tech may seem a little more appealing, personally, I like knowing I can do things myself with a proper tool, not one that tries to be something it's not.

Biggest thing is that a single AAA LED is now a brighter and more rugged option than the old 2xAA mini-mag.

Biggest thing is that a single AAA LED is now a brighter and more rugged option than the old 2xAA mini-mag.

Ain't that the truth.

Personally I hate the idea of a phone being utilized for so many different options. I don't like everything being consolidated like that, because if you're out your phone you're out it all. Cash is king for a very good reason, and making folks do math by requiring them to give you change for a purchase isn't a bad thing.

Well my phone is really the only new tech item i carry and use. I do use it for reading books a lot. I always carry a knife because i often need to cut stuff, i always carry a pistol because I'm too old to take a ass whipping an too young to die, my watch is a self winding swiss and my lighter is a zippo.

Back