HTM Gunhammer with Ti Framelock and CF/G-10 -- PICS, INPUT NEEDED

For quite a while, one of the most-requested additions to the HTM lineup has been a Gunhammer with a titanium framelock. Darrel has listened, and the next HTM Gunhammer variant will have a 3.5" blade and a titanium framelock with either carbon fiber or G-10 on the off side. Here are prototypes showing what the knife would look like, first with textured CF and a stonewashed blade, and the second with smooth CF and a tan blade:

Update: Got some pics from Darrel today (9-16) showing the lock side, as well as what textured G-10 would look like:

MSRP on these is going to be $499.

Darrel would like to do a numbered first edition with stonewashed Bowie blades and a special steel, CTS-B75P (Carpenter's powder metallurgy version of BG-42). In order to go forward with this, Darrel would need at least 10 commitments, and with 10+ commitments, he'd also be able to offer a reduced price of $429. Just to be clear, this isn't another "forum knife": this will be open both to forum guys and to people who follow HTM/Darrel on Facebook. Additionally, and more importantly, they have all of the materials/parts in-house, so there wouldn't be any delays/uncertainty associated with getting materials, finding an anodizer to do a special color, and so forth. Darrel anticipates that, once all the details are settled and the commitments are in, the turnaround would be less than one month.

EDIT: A bit of additional info on the knives Darrel passed along. They will have Maxx Glide opening, the blade thickness will be .150 (I don't have a caliper to measure one of my other Gunhammers, but I think this is just about the same as the standard S35VN Gunhammer blade thickness), and the overall handle thickness will be .650, which Darrel describes as "much thinner" than the rather beefy aluminum/liner lock HTM Gunhammer we're all familiar with.

The one aspect of the knife that Darrel needs our input on is the off-side handle. They can be either CF or G-10, and either textured or smooth. There's no mixing-and-matching, so all of the folks who are interested in getting in on the numbered first edition will need to discuss it and settle on a single material/texture combination that works for them: textured CF, smooth CF, textured G-10, or smooth G-10. Since Facebook is less than ideal for carrying on an extended discussion, the forum guys who are interested will get to discuss and choose what they want for the handles and get first crack at signing up (and thus at the lowest serial numbers). Once we've settled on the handle material/texture and are at, or at least on our way to, 10 commitments, I'll post via the official HTM Facebook account opening it up to those guys as well.

Commitments (need at least 10 to make this happen):

1. myemptymind

Last edited:
Will they accept trade ins on the new framelock?

Banned

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? They are still NIB. Consider it an exchange. I'd be willing to pay the price difference.

Banned

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the persistence, but I've already discussed it with Darrel, and the answer on exchange/trade-in questions is "no".

A Ti framelock DDR GH w/CF & CTS-B75P?UMMM let me think about it....Yes Duh!? :eek: :D

As the old meme goes "Shut up & take my money!"

suggestion:How about a slightly thinner blade stock.A thin,slicer GH would be the bees knees! :eek:

Please consider me "committed" & add me to the list.

Thanks

I think textured CF is overwhelmingly going to be the most popular. Any word on whether the overall handle thickness will be reduced? If so, consider myself very interested.

A Ti framelock DDR GH w/CF & CTS-B75P?UMMM let me think about it....Yes Duh!? :eek: :D

As the old meme goes "Shut up & take my money!"

suggestion:How about a slightly thinner blade stock.A thin,slicer GH would be the bees knees! :eek:

Please consider me "committed" & add me to the list.

Thanks
Done. I've added you to the first spot on the list. Also, do you have a preference on the off side scale material/texture combination?

And yes, I'll ask Darrel about the blade thickness. My guess is that it'll simply depend on the thickness of the CTS-B75P stock that they got.

I think textured CF is overwhelmingly going to be the most popular. Any word on whether the overall handle thickness will be reduced? If so, consider myself very interested.
Yeah, if I had to bet on which of the four options will win, textured CF would be my guess as well. Textured G-10 would look pretty cool too if they did it with green/black, green/blue, or some other multi-color G-10 that would allow different colors to show at different points in the texturing.

I'm about 90% sure that I remember Darrel saying something about these being substantially slimmer than the liner lock/Al handles version when we talked, but I'll shoot him an email to be sure.

If I had the choice I'd go with smooth CF on the non-locking side,but I'll take whatever is decided.

Look at me,FIRST on a custom GH list :)

Definitely textured CF would be my pick. And I would like one of these, but am not sure about getting the funding for it any time soon. If this project moves as slowly as many things in this forum, you can chalk me up to a definitely maybe :p

Maybe if I can sell a few of my own blades... Of course, I'd have to actually finish some...

Oh yeah I forgot to mention,absolutely no AO on mine please.

Thanks

Darrel must be burning the midnight oil, because he responded just now. Answers are as follows:

1. Yes, these will have bearings (Maxx Glide), not assisted opening.
2. The blade thickness is .150.
3. The overall thickness is .65, which Darrel describes as "much thinner" than the Al/liner lock version.

On second thought,the more I look at it I like the textured Ti better.

Are there functioning protos that we can see the lock side of or will this run be the proto/beta testing of the design?

Are there functioning protos that we can see the lock side of or will this run be the proto/beta testing of the design?
Yes, they've already made prototypes, including both of the knives pictured in the original post. (It's tough to see in the second photo, but in the first you can clearly see the Ti scale peeking out on the lock side.) I'm just waiting for Darrel to send me some more pictures detailed pictures of the protos showing other angles, including the lock side.

Back