HTM Madd Maxx

Hi Darrell. Neat to see a forum for your mid-techs!:thumbup:

I have a manual Maxx in DLC. My question is this; do you have plans for a bowie blade like the old Camillus Maxx?

At this time we do not have a bowie slated to build.
We do have a HTM custom shop.
Please email off list for infomation.

Hi again Darrell. Are you saying that the Custom Shop can make me a bowie style blade for the HTM Madd Maxx?

Don't mean to be dense:eek::), but when you say to email off list, what list is it?

Thanks for your time!:thumbup::)

Hi again Darrell. Are you saying that the Custom Shop can make me a bowie style blade for the HTM Madd Maxx?

Don't mean to be dense:eek::), but when you say to email off list, what list is it?

Thanks for your time!:thumbup::)

I might be wrong, but at least in my experience, I just send him a list of features I want in a knife down to the tooth. Then I see if Darrel can do it and get a price quote accordingly.

I have something special in the works. It will be my last folder purchase ever.

Cutter please post comments and assessment on this knife when you get it. I am considering one myself. Opinion on assist verses non assist on this knife and also, how does it carry in the pocket? My Gunhammer has blown me away. Damn thing is perfect.

I currently have the HTM DLC Madd Maxx in manual. I can tel you that it carries like a dream to me. I like large folders, and carry one as my edc most every day. My current is a John W Smith Extreme SD-3 with a 4.5" blade.

For such a large knife the MM is easy to carry because it is really flat in the pocket. I mostly wear kakhi style pants with slash pockets and the knife fits into them perfectly. I would like to see how an assisted model works and feels in hand, but I really do like the manual version and when I go ahead with the bowie style bladed MM it will be in manual.:)

I currently have the HTM DLC Madd Maxx in manual. I can tel you that it carries like a dream to me. I like large folders, and carry one as my edc most every day. My current is a John W Smith Extreme SD-3 with a 4.5" blade.

For such a large knife the MM is easy to carry because it is really flat in the pocket. I mostly wear kakhi style pants with slash pockets and the knife fits into them perfectly. I would like to see how an assisted model works and feels in hand, but I really do like the manual version and when I go ahead with the bowie style bladed MM it will be in manual.:)

cutter17,

I think I recall you and I praising the same knife in the past on these forums so we may have somewhat the same taste in knives. It may have been the full-sized Skirmish or the big Hossom Retribution folder, I'm looking into the Madd Maxx 5.5 manual and wondered if it can be carried comfortably in your front jeans pocket? Having never seen one in person I wondered if the knife is comfortable in the hand?
Thanks for your time!

Been a while since I been over here, but I haven't forgotten about the bowie bladed MM. I'm hoping to get it started at the end of this month, or in mid August when I get my yearly bonus check. I always loved that bowie shape on the Camillus Maxx's, and can't wait to get one of the HTM's in it.

I originally asked to have it done in non-glare version with a manual action. I've thought off and on about doing it in the black DLC to match my other one. What do you folks think?

Manual is the way to go.

I got an HTM Madd Maxx 5.5 the other day. Incredible design -difficult to imagine a more formidable edged weapoin that would fit easily in a pocket. The handle is obviously large, but not ridiculously so when you're holding it in sabre grip. Sometimes it even seems as though the blade is longer than the handle. I would say that the quality of the finishing on the handle scales is not at the same level as the two other folders I have in this price range (Umnumzaan & SR-1) in that machining marks are more easily spotted. But that is just a minor esthetic issue and I didn't buy it as a display piece. Also in terms of value, it is a lot more knife for the money than the other two mentioned. My only real complaint is that I would have liked it to come drilled for tip up as well as tip down carry.

Even before getting the HTM version, I was thinking about getting a 4" custom spear point Madd Maxx. I've got a couple of questions related to that which I am hoping someone can help me out with:
1) Is the standard of finishing on the custom models different from the HTMs? I have no problems with the HTM 5.5 I have, but if I'm going to spend the extra $$ on a custom, it would be nice to know that the attention to detiail is that little bit higher.
2) Is the tip on the spearpoint blade relatively robust? I'm looking at this pattern primarily for utility use (including tasks such as drilling in wood), but still with the ability to be pressed into SD service if ever needed.
3) How well (i.e. reliably) does the manual version of the Madd Maxx 4 wave open? The question is not whether you can wave it open OK in practice, but if you actually had to open it in an instant whilst under duress, how sure can you be that it will open perfectly every time? I ask because I'm more inclined to the manual version, but I'm just wondering about the value of the assisted opening as a failsafe mechanism to ensure that the blade will always deploy fully once you start to open it.

With previous Maxx models in the 5.5" range, I had to grind off the "flipper" horn since it would also snag and cancel out the wave.

I like the idea of being able to both wave and flip - so that you can open it lightening fast from the pocket or hand, but I guess the bottom guard might hang up a bit.

Also, make sure the clip is mounted so there is at least an inch of butt sticking out for a proper waving grip.

With waved knives, I tend to put a lanyard on them, so I can grip it with the last couple of fingers first, and then get hold of the handle with thumb and forefinger as I am already pulling the knife up out of the pocket. I find that helps with both speed of indexing and control on the draw. Lanyard has to be hanging out of the pocket for that to work, of course.

Back