Human Weapon show on FMA

K Williams

Gold Member
The "Human Weapon"(a series on The History Channel) did an episode on FMA. They learned Doce Pares, Pekiti Tirsia, Balintawak, etc. moves.

I enjoyed the show. Of course it is impossible to do an exhaustive presentation in one hour but I think they did a good job of touching on some of the different styles.

Does anyone know what type of machete the Filipino military was using on this human weapon show? I want to purchase one if I can find out what it is and who makes it.

it's called a 'ginunting'. couple importers out there. it was discussed recently in another (unrelated) thread, this one looks closest:

Ginunting.1.jpg

also see:

http://www.pt-go.com/popup.asp?ImagePath=images/Legacy4.jpg

available from:

http://www.psdtc.com/Filipino.Ginunting.htm

this is the standard 21" model. it may be modified in the near future to 16" so as not to interfere with kneeling.

The FMA episode was very good. Light on blade work but I guess that was a little to intense for mainstream TV. Trust me, I'm not complaining. Any good FMA footage is greatly appreciated.

I've really been enjoying the series. I hope it runs for another season at least. Plenty of more styles out there to show.

My favorite quote: "No dancing. This is not dance studio." :D

Every episode has one teacher that I would go see...The Thai episode would be the old man out in the bush...The Filipino episode would definitely be Mang Nic, the Krav episode would be Dennis Hanover...the Pankration would be that long haired cat training on the mountain..the savate would be that crazy old cop who dropped Yogi on his ass....there are also parts of each episode where I just cringe and say what the F***....all in all not a bad effort! better than that fight science BS.

My 11 year old calls the two hosts Yogi and Boo Boo....LOL

The Pankration one is the only episode I've seen so far that I thought was weak. The training seemed very much staged. There was no indication that the Champion, for example, trrained under the same conditions.

Plus, like other martial sports that have 'no head punch rules', the system trains athletes to a sport conditioned for protective rules as opposed to unarmed combat so I would say unlike the other episodes, that one went against the grain of the series title. Mind you, I earned a black belt in TKD - which also has the 'no head punch rule'. When we trained for full-contact competitions - the emphasis was on always on points and a lot more risks were taken knowing that head strikes and grappling would not come into play. There was of course other self-defense aspects taught during my training, however, I really do admire the MMA of today (wasn't around in my youth days).

Back