Hunt with throwing knives??

In a booklet McEvoy (Tru-Balance knife Co. founder) wrote back in the early 70's on knife and Tomahawk throwing, he said deer and boar had been hunted/killed with big throwers. He suggested hunting large game from a stand over looking a game trail. That way the shoulder movement would go undetected, and you would be getting one spin, due to the short range. He suggested a heavy Bowie with both edges sharpened. There is a pic of a guy who killed a 275 pound wild boar in Florida. Range is stated as being 75 feet.
I'm thinking that rabbits, tree rats, birds, porqupines, woodchucks, skunks etc., would be the safest bet, and even then use a big heavy knife. Rabbits often hold tight in hopes that you won't see them, offering shots that are within 15 yards, often closer. MCEvoy said the trick is to throw HARD and FAST at small game, so if the blunt end or side hits, it will stun the game, allowing you to get in a second shot, as you should always carry two knives when hunting. Often game will hold tight if you miss with the first shot, allowing a 2nd try. Takes the word sportsmanship to a new level if you ask me.

Alligators are pretty easy to kill with a blade. Ya gotta catch'em first :cool:

You'd have to be damn good to throw at a hog and kill it.
With a good American Bulldog ( my working buddy) it's a fairly easy task on smaller hog..<200 #.

Wrist Rockets with ball bearings are fun on squirrels and rabbits and stuff... bullfrogs too !

InspectorTrue said:
You can always poison the knife, when it hits the deer, its dead, instant trophy.

thats what i thought myself!. But beware, if u have a small cut, you are the hunted!:eek:

I am thinking of trying it one day... It would be so damn cool if you can give a deer a head shot and it drops dead in front of you. But my level is still far from there

Hunting deer with a knife is generally illegal. Hunting with poison is generally illegal. Hunting for a deer trophy with a poisoned knife is likely to put you away or cost you big time in fines. I would only consider hunting deer with a knife in a survival situation. I can think of very few poisons that you might find in a survival situation and then I would worry about poisoning myself if I ate the game.

Jeff Clark said:
Hunting deer with a knife is generally illegal. Hunting with poison is generally illegal. Hunting for a deer trophy with a poisoned knife is likely to put you away or cost you big time in fines. I would only consider hunting deer with a knife in a survival situation. I can think of very few poisons that you might find in a survival situation and then I would worry about poisoning myself if I ate the game.

hmmm... If you poison an animal and you ate the animal, would the poison get to you? :D

There are poisons which will stop an animal when injected, and are harmless when eaten. Also if poison is put behind a tip or sharp part as a paste, it will not kill the hunter with a slight nip or cut, but will still work just fine when the object penetrates the target in the desired manner.

Bambooleaf said:
There are poisons which will stop an animal when injected, and are harmless when eaten. Also if poison is put behind a tip or sharp part as a paste, it will not kill the hunter with a slight nip or cut, but will still work just fine when the object penetrates the target in the desired manner.

Does this this poision wouldn't be very effective in dropping the animal down dead on the spot right? It would take some time?

Check out my comments on the realities of using poisons.

I'm not sure what the poisons would be that Bambooleaf is referring to, but they're going to obey the laws of toxicology in any case.

Hope this proves educational. Or if not, at least entertaining!

Yes I was reffering to curare based poisons, Watchful has some good points in that link he provided.

It could take a few minutes too, it is best to learn some tracking skills if you want to hunt with poison. Also they (curare types) don't kill so much as paralyze with fatal results.

Watchful said:
Check out my comments on the realities of using poisons.

I'm not sure what the poisons would be that Bambooleaf is referring to, but they're going to obey the laws of toxicology in any case.

Hope this proves educational. Or if not, at least entertaining!

10 minutes well spent there! thanks:D

Back