Hunter?

I am new to this forum and have come acrost a past post on a Simonich Hunter. What is the story behind this knife. Is it still available?

Rob has made a couple of prototypes and it should be under manufacture as a mid-tech in the relatively near future, according to the last info available on various forums. The Mid-Tech version will be S30V with gunner grips and "similar" to a single guarded version of the Urban Raven. You can see a pic of the prototype at Arizona Custom Knives at http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/displayKnife.asp?pid=1555
There's also a pic of an Urban Raven at the same link. There's subtle but important difference between the two knives which can be observed from the pics.

It promises to be a great knife and, as you might gather, I eagerly await it's release and am a big fan of it's design. If you're familiar with Rob's custom knives, it will probably fall somewhere in design between a Pikuni and a Chinook. I've personally really wanted a Chinook since forever but they are not to be had so this Mid-Tech hunter will have to be a substitute for me. I think Rob is planning on calling this knife the Kootenai hunter. Blade length will be about 4 to 4.25" sharp. I pushed hard for a 5" blade, like the Chinook ;), but the 4" sharp version is what the master decided upon.

I'm sure Buffalo Dundee will chime in hear and correct anything that I've written that's incorrect. :D

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to decide between an Urban Raven or waiting for the Hunter. Thanks for you insight.

Well.... since I've considered the same question, here's my opinion, and consider it for what it's worth (free from Nobody):D . My experience is that single guarded knives are better for a multiple of hand positions that I use for a huge variety of daily cutting tasks. My experience with double guards is that they provide more security for one or two styles of grip and provide a little finger protection for high strength cutting tasks, like knife fighting. Since I use my knives for a wide variety of tasks, and I knife fight "almost" never, I almost always opt for single guarded knives like the hunter. Again, your mileage may vary.

Your thoughts make sense to me. The big question is how long before the Hunter/Kootenai goes into production?

Buffalo Dundee here. :D

We are running late on the hunter for a couple reasons. zThe cover of Tactical Knives featured my Raven Combat, and the Blade Magazine American Made Knife of the Year award for the Urban Raven increased demand for those knives to the point I have to concentrate on getting backorders for those knives filled before starting the hunter. Thats a good and bad problem! :) I am still hoping to start the Kootenai Oct or Nov. I think it will be a great hunter, I used the proto last year all season and it worked well on all game I tried it on.

Back