Hunting......for geodes

I think this should be the right place for this? If not, please move or delete.

I'm in search of a few good places in Indiana to go geode hunting. I live in Cincinnati and hear south Indiana is a real hot spot.

Anybody have a go to to find geodes? Any tips on locating or what to look for? Good equipment to bring?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geologist here but i'm not familiar with the US setting. the wiki says they are often found in the midwest (indiana, iowa, missouri, illinois, kentucky, utah.) geodes are spherical concretions removed from the mother rock. they are formed by open-space filling of a cavity in the mother rock. they are then eroded and freed, so you would spot them most easily in the desert, or in places where you have a lot of limestone boulders, or in loose sedimentary ground like river banks, sand bars, or alluvial fans near the foot of hills and mountains.

picking a roundish rock and identifying it as a geode can be tricky. outwardly it looks like an ordinary piece of rock. you will have to tap it with your sample pick to test it. a solid rock rings while a hollow one feels, well, hollow. so you have your sample pick, and then you have to have a small cold chisel. score the rock with the chisel along an "equator", set it on the ground, and then strike it with pick and chisel along that score mark. if you're a serious hunter and you want to find car-sized geodes, you might have to bring heavier firepower, like a three-pound sledge hammer, and a bigger chisel or moil (forged from a car axle.)

there's are two more things a rock hunter needs: a buddy and reliable transportation. you might have to leg it to very remote areas hard to access. so it's best to have a buddy and a reliable off-roader.

Vpetrell, while you may find some geodes in the area (SW Ohio/SE Indiana), an even greater "bonus" is the fact that marine fossils are incredibly common there. Having grown up in the area, I had quite a collection of various fossils. Find a "cut" in the hills where a road goes through and take a look, as well as in creeks. You will be surprised at what you may find!

Good luck in your search!

Ron

Back