Hunting Photos 2017

Share your 2017 hunting photos with us here! This isn't exclusively for photos of harvests. Wildlife and scenery seen along the way are welcome too! Afterall, hunting is about much more than just the kill :)

I'll start it off with a scouting photo. I'll have more coming soon as I hope to get out and set up my trail cams for deer in the coming weeks.

33301174304_d797e693eb.jpg

Good luck in 2017 and happy trails!
Cheers,
mike

Place holder for a couple of swine pics.... ;)

annnnnd...

Both from the first week of April.

Some deer still wandering aorund...

Last edited:
Fresh "Smart pills"!!:D
Share your 2017 hunting photos with us here! This isn't exclusively for photos of harvests. Wildlife and scenery seen along the way are welcome too! Afterall, hunting is about much more than just the kill :)

I'll start it off with a scouting photo. I'll have more coming soon as I hope to get out and set up my trail cams for deer in the coming weeks.

33301174304_d797e693eb.jpg

Great pictures :thumbsup:

I like the looks of you jag with the undocked tail. What is your larger dog, and do you use each dog separately? Also, how do you use them to help with the deer, do they flush the animal or more for blood-trailing?

The larger dog is a Norwegian Moosedog Gray. Bred for biggame such as bear, moose and wildboar. Mine "searches" 200-600m upwind from me when i slowly move trough the forest. He finds game and makes them stop, only barks att slow moving or still game. He can take groundscent but prefers windcaried scent. There is no timelimit in his mind on how long to stand and bark at fex a moose...

The Jagdterrier chases ALL game above ground for 20min to an hour. He seems to prefer groundscent sofar... Hes only a year old and havent hunted a season yet. Jagdterriers are also superb dogs for hunting underground after fox and badger.

Last edited:
My buddy has a jagdterrier that is a machine on raccoon and badger, a great hunting dog in his own right. He uses it with a Kemmer cur for ground game and those two together are a force. Your moosedog is fascinating to me, as that is 'somewhat' similar to the hunting and damage control work I do out here. Although the hounds I keep are trained to trail and tree predators, as we are not allowed the aid of dogs in our locale for moose, elk, deer etc. My hounds like your moosedog will hold game without regard for time, until I retrieve them. For this type of game, most of the time that means I lead them away from a tree somewhere. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the information and have a fondness for working dogs.

Here's a picture from just after the turn of the year. Although I couldn't get much time out this season, fortune did shine down some. This is a large tom mountainlion that was bayed in the rocks, just refused to take a tree, and was finally left to go about his business as he was making a living off wild game and not domestic.

UMe1Q01.jpg

Z36e4HV.jpg

COI5kn7.jpg

Thats some mighty fine pictures right there!
What kind of breed are those? Some guys over here have Walkers, Bluetics and Plotts for bear, wildpig and lynx.

My buddy has a jagdterrier that is a machine on raccoon and badger, a great hunting dog in his own right. He uses it with a Kemmer cur for ground game and those two together are a force. Your moosedog is fascinating to me, as that is 'somewhat' similar to the hunting and damage control work I do out here. Although the hounds I keep are trained to trail and tree predators, as we are not allowed the aid of dogs in our locale for moose, elk, deer etc. My hounds like your moosedog will hold game without regard for time, until I retrieve them. For this type of game, most of the time that means I lead them away from a tree somewhere. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the information and have a fondness for working dogs.

Here's a picture from just after the turn of the year. Although I couldn't get much time out this season, fortune did shine down some. This is a large tom mountainlion that was bayed in the rocks, just refused to take a tree, and was finally left to go about his business as he was making a living off wild game and not domestic.

UMe1Q01.jpg

Z36e4HV.jpg

COI5kn7.jpg

What kind of tracking device/collars do you use?
Over here Garmin astro/alpha is the most widely used "radio-based" tracking device. There are a few GSM-based ones but when out in remote areas they dont work as good..

Thats some mighty fine pictures right there!
What kind of breed are those? Some guys over here have Walkers, Bluetics and Plotts for bear, wildpig and lynx.

Thanks! Just crappy cell phone pics, but I did have good subjects to work with. I need a camera with better zoom, though :D

The dog in the picture is a Treeing Walker. I'm real familiar with the lines of Walker dogs and mostly run them, but any good hound I'll give a home if he does his job, and have owned black & tans, plott, redtick & bluetick crosses, redbone crosses and many mixed breed grade hounds. I always have an eye out for a good hound. Having said that, my kennel is mostly Walker dogs right now, as they seem to work for me. These will hunt bear, mountain lion, bobcat, and raccoon.

What kind of tracking device/collars do you use?
Over here Garmin astro/alpha is the most widely used "radio-based" tracking device. There are a few GSM-based ones but when out in remote areas they dont work as good..

I am running a Garmin Alpha with the TT10 and 15 collars. I'm hardly ever hunting where there's a cell signal. It's not perfect, but it is very good, maybe the best at this time. The Garmin is so accurate that I have only lost dogs one time since having purchased that unit about 8 years ago, even with these far ranging dogs. It would work beautifully for dogs that hunt in the manner of your moosedog. I'd definitely recommend the Garmin Alpha to anyone looking to purchase.

I use the 320 and like it. Have used the 220 since they hit the market but last year felt it was time to uppgrade.
The moosedog searches within 600m but once he picks up scent he's running til the game stops... Not always within range of the garmin..
DSC_0384_zpsz9wqrnjf.jpg

I use the 320 and like it. Have used the 220 since they hit the market but last year felt it was time to uppgrade.
The moosedog searches within 600m but once he picks up scent he's running til the game stops... Not always within range of the garmin...

I would love to see a moosedog work sometime. I see what you're saying now, and he is farther ranging once on game than I originally thought. Also, I should have clarified above as far as losing dogs......they go out of signal all the time and I have to get somewhere to reacquire it, which I am not considering lost, just part of the hunt. It sounds like you're familiar with that occurrence with the 320. But I've only had one dog since I've been using the Garmin that was unretrievable before the battery on the collar went dead. Sure beats all those years I went with nothing!

Used to have to run tie-out collar, training collar, telemetry collar. Thought about breeding dogs with longer necks :D

N457Red.jpg

:D:thumbsup:
Search the "tube" for: älgjakt gråhund, or just gråhund to se moosedogs in action.

Got a phonecall last night at 21:00.
A farmer just outside my homevillage had taken a shot at a boar. He couldnt find any hair or blood at all so he figured dogs would be needed.

Getting ready to go..
DSC_0545_zpspmwq5sj0.jpg

Drove to the farmer and he briefed me about the situation... Apparenly there were a boar hawg and a moose at his "feedplot". He took a broadside shot at the boar with his 30-06. The boar ran away but the moose stayed and continued eating potatoes... Moose was gone when i arrived but still not optimal to try and track boar with my moosedog when a moose is hangin out nearby.
So let my young jagdterrier do the jobb. He picked up the scent and i just followed him in the back end of the trackingline... Found the hawg about 120m away in dence spruceforest.. Not a single drop of blood found during the search... Nice shotplacement but hawgs often run abit anyways.
DSC_0548_zpsxtv6tots.jpg

Then let the moosedog out so he could get a sniff aswell :)
DSC_0550_zpsrubnzk5h.jpg

Back