Attention I Have Answers with No Questions

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Consider this thread a plea for help. I truly need everyone's assistance with this.

Putting together FAQ's and introduction type videos to give you guys more of an idea about me and what's going on at Redmeadow has proven to be a difficult task. What I should do is just crack open a bottle of whiskey and do a live stream, that would be easier and probably more entertaining but maybe not too informational! Now, face to face I'll talk your ear off and we'll have a good laugh. However, sitting down and writing things about myself must only be natural to a narcissist. When I try to do it, it feels contrived and whatever I write ends up feeling like some sort of marketing garbage, and I can't stand that whatsoever, everybody wants your money or your mind, I just want to make knives.

So what's the solution? Not sure, but what I do know is it will be easier for me and more beneficial to you if I answer questions from everyone here. Other than a couple really personal things I'll answer anything you guys want to know, from the technical and detailed to the weird and goofy and everything in between.

I'll compile all of the questions here and we'll either do a video or write them out or both, or maybe make short vids as we go. (I do have some compiled from when I asked this through the Newsletter last year, thank you to those of you that responded).

I never have good luck with threads like this so if this one ends up a one pager, I'll take the hint to leave you alone and just make knives!

So if you're a passer by or a die hard Clan of the Cowbell member, post up some questions or a topic you'd like my opinion on, knife styles, tv shows, or anything you can think of that you want to know.

Thanks in advance,

-John

My opinion may not amount to much but here it is. Craftsmen like you and others on these forums have skills and talents that most people do not, so what seems mundane to y’all can leave us awe-struck. I love work-in-progress (WIP) videos or photos showing blades being built, or engraving being done. I find all aspects of what y’all do amazing and appreciate that it is shared. Thank you for considering us!

A thread like this can be fun - in fact, over in the CPK forum, Nathan has a "Ask Nathan a Question" thread. It allows members to ask him anything from what he has on his whiteboard to what color of socks he is wearing.

I don't know that you would need to get overly formal unless someone is wanting to dig deep and you feel it better to address in a video versus a typed response here. As someone who is responsible for some of the marketing that my firm provides for some our clients, when I am reviewing a marketing plan with colleagues, I have them strip out most, if not all of the marketing mumbo-jumbo and kitschy buzzwords. From a sales approach, some targets can benefit from word salads but in this community, I feel you'll grow your base by doing exactly what you are doing - making knives, fostering good connections, and leaving the marketing stuff in the wastebasket.

(That all said, we still like swag - stickers, patches, mugs, shot glasses, pint glasses, etc. So material marketing is always good to expand on 😁)

All that to say, this thread could be fun and informative and shows that you care about connecting with all of us. You already have a customer for life in me and it's because you're the man you are. Credit where it's due - Mack Mack is the one who turned me onto your blades. Turns out, I got a buddy out of the deal as well.

My opinion may not amount to much but here it is. Craftsmen like you and others on these forums have skills and talents that most people do not, so what seems mundane to y’all can leave us awe-struck. I love work-in-progress (WIP) videos or photos showing blades being built, or engraving being done. I find all aspects of what y’all do amazing and appreciate that it is shared. Thank you for considering us!
Opinions don't need credentials and yours is more than welcome here. That's great to know that you enjoy the WIP stuff, I don't post as much of that as I used to because there seems to be so much of it saturating the internet. I'd like to document more behind the scenes type of stuff but don't want to bore everyone with details. I'll post more of it if folks are indeed watching.

A thread like this can be fun - in fact, over in the CPK forum, Nathan has a "Ask Nathan a Question" thread. It allows members to ask him anything from what he has on his whiteboard to what color of socks he is wearing.

I don't know that you would need to get overly formal unless someone is wanting to dig deep and you feel it better to address in a video versus a typed response here. As someone who is responsible for some of the marketing that my firm provides for some our clients, when I am reviewing a marketing plan with colleagues, I have them strip out most, if not all of the marketing mumbo-jumbo and kitschy buzzwords. From a sales approach, some targets can benefit from word salads but in this community, I feel you'll grow your base by doing exactly what you are doing - making knives, fostering good connections, and leaving the marketing stuff in the wastebasket.

(That all said, we still like swag - stickers, patches, mugs, shot glasses, pint glasses, etc. So material marketing is always good to expand on 😁)

All that to say, this thread could be fun and informative and shows that you care about connecting with all of us. You already have a customer for life in me and it's because you're the man you are. Credit where it's due - Mack Mack is the one who turned me onto your blades. Turns out, I got a buddy out of the deal as well.
So much to break down here, I appreciate the detail Dylan.

A thread similar to Nathan's would be a good idea and sounds fun. I'll set something up.

You're right about not needing to formalize anything through video. I think things get lost in context through a post where I can get my point across a lot easier in a video. Maybe a highlight video every once in a while to dig deep for good topics?

Totally with you on the marketing, turns me off when I feel like someone's trying to sell me something, even if I want it, I'll walk when the gimmicks come out. But yup, Swag is always good!

The connections are what I enjoy most and I think what really matters in the end. Glad you found your way here and appreciate your input and friendship. I don't know about that Mack Mack guy though, he kinda squirrely, but don't tell him I said that.

Good thread I bet there will be some great questions
I like 52100 carbon steel I'm not asking for a change I'm just curious of your answer
what other steel would you use

Conversely, how did you settle on 52100?

Also, where did your abhorrance of brass come from?😁

I started off with O1 like most because of it's simplicity and then chased hamons with 1095, was happy with those results but as I researched more steels it seemed like no matter where I looked, every time 52100 always showed up as a consistent performer. I'll caveat that with saying that I'm not a believer in chasing what's popular, I'll take consistency every time. As far as other steels go I put more stock in the heat treat and the track record than the steel popularity. As far as the price of some steel goes, it can get a little ridiculous and I don't see the increase in benefit over 52100.

When it comes to stainless I'd like to try some but it's a matter of logistics in getting a hold of cryo treatment supplies. My nearest source for just dry ice is over 100 miles away which means in order to heat treat I'd need to make a 220 mile round trip within a day before heat treating. Which requires two consecutively scheduled days for heat treat one of which means 4 hours of driving, not the most effective use of my time. When it comes to Liquid Nitrogen the cost of a dewar and refilling every 2 or 3 months isn't cost effective whatsoever for me and would require another trip. Besides I need more flexibility with heat treating time when it comes to my schedule. I could always send it out to have done but prefer to do as much as I can in house.

I just need your SS#, bank account info, and pin numbers.. maybe some good stories about who got you into John Prine, Robert Earl, and Ray Wylie Hubbard.

I think I have an idea but for potential customers or people new to the clan, do you plan on going full time and if you do, what do you think that will look like?

Production numbers, batches, water-jetting, CNC, forging vs stock removal…

Second, how will leather goods fit into a career change like that? Will the catalog be expanded?

Finally, when will the Redmeadow swag store be opening where we can order stickers, trucker caps, coffee cups, tea cozies (okay, can koozies) and other items so we can support the brand?

I just need your SS#, bank account info, and pin numbers.. maybe some good stories about who got you into John Prine, Robert Earl, and Ray Wylie Hubbard.
In my senior year of high school maybe around 1991 I saw an episode of Austin City limits, Prine was on it but I missed the beginning so I had no idea who he was. He sang Steve Goodmans "My Old Man" and I was absolutely blown away. All I know was the minute I heard him I was hooked, whoever he was. Months later I was telling a friend (his name was Ty Ferryman, funny how memories work) about the line "a bowl of oatmeal stared me down.... and won" and how I wished I knew who sang it. He said, Oh that's John Prine, he's awesome. He loaned me some cassettes and I went from there, listened to him constantly over the years, he's the only artist I've never burned out on or taken a break from listening to.

I think I first heard Robert Earl Keen trying to download songs from one of those early internet places like Napster or limewire or something. They were never the right song but I came across some great music, luckily by then you had he internet to search by so I searched lyrics and found Robert Earl and Ray Wylie through bad downloads!

I'll make a note about my music taste. Once grunge hit the scene around 1990 I completely turned off the radio and stuck with the classics. Never went back to popular music, it was all downhill from there for the most part in my opinion. Prine got me into lyrics and steered me in the storytelling direction. Believe it or not I was into punk music in the mid 80's and have always liked the classics, motown, and reggae.

Also, where did your abhorrance of brass come from?😁
My guess is because it reminds me of the cheap plated light fixtures in dumps I've lived in!
emotional-damage.gif

😆

Really I just don't like things that pretend to be what they're not. Copper has it's own look and feel, so does bronze. Brass seems to always be used to mimic gold, instead of being it's own animal.

I think I have an idea but for potential customers or people new to the clan, do you plan on going full time and if you do, what do you think that will look like?

Production numbers, batches, water-jetting, CNC, forging vs stock removal…

Second, how will leather goods fit into a career change like that? Will the catalog be expanded?

Finally, when will the Redmeadow swag store be opening where we can order stickers, trucker caps, coffee cups, tea cozies (okay, can koozies) and other items so we can support the brand?
Ooh good ones Chris, a lot to go over there, I'll get back to these when I have more time.

My guess is because it reminds me of the cheap plated light fixtures in dumps I've lived in!
emotional-damage.gif

😆

Really I just don't like things that pretend to be what they're not. Copper has it's own look and feel, so does bronze. Brass seems to always be used to mimic gold, instead of being it's own animal.

I spent a year working in a radiator factory making huge radiators for equipment like Caterpillar and Terex. I've seen more brass than I ever wanted to. It's easy to work with and it serves its purpose but, you're right. It lacks soul and is too often used to inexpensively add color or a "classy" look.
I have replaced almost every bit of 80's brass hardware in our house. The bedroom door hinges are all that's left.

Last edited:
Hey John…
Don’t You already have enough to do?
Askin for a friend, lol!

Back