"I have heard the quality of Pakistani knives has greatly improved in recent years"

A perfect example of why not to shop on eBay! At least you were only scammed out of $65, it could have been worse!

I knew there was a risk, and preferred not to pay $25 shipping, but am confident that eBay will rule in my favor. Seller is claiming I "tampered with and damaged the entire knife" to make him look bad . . . but will still offer a "refund" if I ship it back to Pakistan. Under the "counterfeit items" clause of the Purchase Protection agreement I should get a refund for the full amount paid, and I expect his storefront will be closed down. eBay has strict rules for scammers, so they generally move to other selling venues with less protections.

I do not know how far a "rupee" goes in Pakistan, but a single USD is worth over 100 rupees. 39.99 is: 4,043 rupees. Sounds like this is big money to him. He has to give back all that money, plus cover an additional $25 USD out of his own pocket to offset the shipping costs. That is 2,528 rupees he needs to come up with out of his own money now. I warned him that I would file a claim, and offered to settle with him if he would simply return the 39.99 he wrongfully acquired . . . gave him 48 hours to think it over and posted incontrovertible photographic proof. Now eBay is going to smack his knuckles with a ruler for cheating his customers and lying about it on the official record. I gave him fair warning and was even willing to write off the shipping fee . . . but then he accused me of apparently building a duplicate knife in an effort to trick eBay or something. Guy is nuts.

"... but then he accused me of apparently building a duplicate knife in an effort to trick eBay or something."

That sounds like something he would do. :D

. . . but then he accused me of apparently building a duplicate knife in an effort to trick eBay or something.

Great advice for future purchases that I'm not happy with. I'll just carve a similar item out of a bar of Ivory and claim that's what the seller sent me...:D

This is absolutely hilarious but for the time, money and inconvenience it has caused.
Must have been pure horror to be at the receiving end of such a born scammer.
I hope this experience isn't perceived as a peculiar regional cultural trait...

This is absolutely hilarious but for the time, money and inconvenience it has caused.
Must have been pure horror to be at the receiving end of such a born scammer.
I hope this experience isn't perceived as a peculiar regional cultural trait...

If you want to see "hilarious" I should start posting our messages. This nutjob messages me about three times a day and his rants are downright bizarre. I have actually heard some good things about the new Pakistani damascus from other bladeforums members and the price is certainly right, and I HAVE seen proof that the Punjab knifemakers are indeed capable of making a decent quality product . . . but I would NEVER order direct from Pakistan again. The shipping cost is too high and DHL has worse policies than UPS. If you want to take a chance on a Pakistani knife, go with a USA eBay seller who has a substantial amount of positive feedback, or better yet, pay a little more for one you can actually hold in your hands and examine at a shop or a show. I have noticed that the sellers of Pakistani knives on eBay tend to use file photos but claim you will get the exact knife pictured, which may be a translation issue, but as long as the knife received is of similar quality that should not be a problem given the low price. However, the knife I received was obviously hastily assembled from scrap material to superficially resemble the knife in the photo with zero effort towards fit and finish. At first glance, it actually does resemble that knife . . . until you put on your glasses and look at it under a bright light. I think maybe he does not manufacture or purchase knives at all. I suspect he creeps into the dumpsters behind the Punjab knife factories and picks through the discards. The apprentice who made that knife probably got fired on the spot and told to seek a new career washing dishes.

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

dear sir, thanks for reply.please confirm me that this address is complete? i want to inform you that i will try 100% to ship your knife on saturday positively,as today we have independence day and we have holidays.i will convey you DHL tracking number as soon as i ship your knife.

i want to ask you one more thing that are you interested in buying more prunning knives? i can ship you 2 or 3 knives in same shipping if you are interested?this is a offer from me.

please reply me.

waiting your reply

Dear royalstarknives,

Hi. Address is complete and correct. Only interested in the one knife for now, thanks. I may purchase additional knives from you in the future. Do you know what type of steel was used for the blade? Thank you. Clint

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

hi sir, sorry for late reply.your knife will shipped on monday,the delay is due to law & order situation here due to long march against government.the opposition parties are agitating against government this thing cause delay but on monday i will convey you the DHL tracking number positively.

your sincerely

- royalstarknives

Dear royalstarknives,

Knife arrived this afternoon. Tip of blade is damaged. Not pointed as in picture. Broken and squared off. Knife is also extremely difficult to open.

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

hi sir, thanks for reply,i will investigate how that hapen. i request you that please send me the picture of damaged tip of blade.and you have no need to worry about this, i will replace the knife because i want you to be satisfy buyer.please send me picture of knife and i trace what happened wrong.because i handed over the knife in perfect condition to DHL.i assure you that you will get the replacement.
waiting your reply

- royalstarknives

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

dear sir, thanks for sending pictures,this happen during the transit.knife was in perfect condition when handed over to DHL.Anyway i apologize for this and i am ready to compensate you because i want you satisfy from me. i offer you that i send you new knife and you pay me $45(complete payment including shipping) i discount you 50% and you will get new knife. if you are agree then please reply me so that i send you invoice from my paypal and your knife will be shipped,and this time i will make sure that such thing not happen again. pictures of new knife attached.

you can send me your reply on my email. my id is (shahzadhussain901)
and its gmail id
i am waiting your reply

I think I may stick with knives from other countries than Pakistan. ;)
They did provide neat $10 daggers for all us 12 year olds to buy at the used furniture store (Good times :)), but my tastes have gotten slightly more picky since then.

One of my friends still has his $10 Pakistan dagger more than 2 decades later; he uses it to open tins of cat food. :thumbup:

Dear royalstarknives,

Are you familiar with bladeforums? The largest and most popular knife forum on the internet? My username here is the same as on there. I have been a bladeforums member for 10 years and have a solid reputation with 100% positive feedback as a buyer and seller. If you feel that I am at fault in this transaction I could post the full text of this correspondence there, along with pics from the original listing and pics of the knife received and ask the opinion of the many well respected collectors and knifemakers there. I could also have my brother at Spyderco have the steel tested for composition, impurities, and Rockwell hardness. Or I could just be happy to get a refund and forget how angry I am about being asked to pay more money after getting an unusable broken knife. Your decision. I will wait until Monday to file an eBay dispute to give you time to think this over. I would like a refund please. Thank you.

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

hi, i have recieved your response full of anger.ist of all let me tell you that i have contact the DHL and show them the pictures you have sent me.and they have assured me that they will investigate this issue. secondly i want to resolve this issue.You have the right to open case in ebay and you know that i am not at fault in this matter.anyways i do not want to go in arguments and let me tell you that my moto of business is the satisfaction of the customer.and i am doing this business from last 8 years and i always prefer the satisfaction of my customers.you are welcomed if you want to open the case on ebay.

now lets tell me that you want to resolve this issue? i want to have future buying relationship with you and i know the value of trust and satisfaction on each other. one knife is not important, for me the reputation is priceless, all in these years of my business no one has ever said like this.
you give me shipping charges and i ship you new knife, and you keep this knife also.i send you new knife without any price.and i hope this will you compensate you.for me $30 or 40 has no value, i value trust and fair play.

waiting your reply

Dear royalstarknives,

"You will receive same knife as seen in picture" . . . actually, upon closer examination of the photos that is CLEARLY a false statement. The knife I received is not as well crafted, there are serious imperfections in the wood scale on one side (wormhole, discoloration), AND the inlay design is even different! I will upload photos tomorrow. Not sending any more money. Do not want another of your knives. Refund please.

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

ok sir no problem, you send my knife back. i am ready to refund you, please return my knife.you will get your money refund.

already told you that i want to resolve the issue,

thanks

- royalstarknives

Dear royalstarknives,

Oh, that sounds fair. You post pics of a $100 custom knife with near perfect fit and finish with a Buy it Now price of $40 + $25 shipping . . . but then you do not send "the knife pictured" but instead a shoddy replica of that knife. The closer I examine this knife the more flaws become apparent. This was a rush job merely intended to appear similar to the knife in the photo. The scale with the decoration was crudely out with some sort of wood filler used to conceal the gaps and there is a quarter inch wormhole on the edge. The opposite scale did not even fit the knife with a 1/8" thick layer of epoxy filling the gap between scale and bolster as well as a similar layer along the first inch back from the bolster along the liner. Those scales should have been scrapped. Even an apprentice knifemaker would have known to redo those scales correctly. This makes me suspect that the blade was not fitted correctly either and left your factory with a
crooked blade that leans at such an angle that it scrapes against the liner and requires about 50 pounds of pressure to open. The unpadded cardboard box may have been crushed in transit which might explain the broken tip and possibly the crooked blade, but it does not explain why you posted pics of a $100 custom knife valued by collectors and sent a $10 knife-like novelty item that has zero collector value, is unsafe to open or close, and cannot be used. You stated you would send a specific knife and instead sent an inferior copy. This is known as fraud when you misrepresent goods to such a degree. Sorry, not paying another $25 in overseas shipping to return a broken knife, that we both know is not the knife pictured due to multiple manufacturing defects not in that picture, in hope that MAYBE I'll get a partial refund. I'll tell you what. If you refund the 39.99 tomorrow, for the price of the knife I paid for but did not receive, I will forget
about the additional 25.00 shipping charges and call it even.

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

dear sir, i have told you categorically that it is the same same knife as shown in picture.and i request you to play a fair game.i am agree and willing to refund your payment because you have told me that the tip of blade is damaged(who knows you did this intentionally) because after communicating with you i have concluded that you are cheating me,if you not interested in knife then kindly return it to me and i will refund your payment, there is no problem in it , its a simple thing to do, and one thing i tell you that you have no right to comment like this,
you are doing unfair and its unehical.

i am waiting my knife back and i refund your amount.

thanks

- royalstarknives

Dear royalstarknives,

As a final note, aside from this transaction and simply as one knife enthusiast to another, whoever made the knife in those photos did amazing work. A knife of that quality would easily sell for over $100 in the United States. However, such craftsmanship requires a great amount of time, care, and skill. You cannot expect others to produce knives of similar quality with significantly less time, care, and skill. Respectfully, if your business model is to sell many knives at a low price rather than a few high quality knives at a high price, you really need to get away from folders altogether and stick with fixed blades. You have gotten a lot of positive feedback for your damascus steel fixed blades, and if an apprentice makes a mistake or rushes a job it will be far less noticeable and possibly overlooked. Folders are unforgiving. Everything needs to be fitted perfectly in order for the folding knife to function smoothly. If a hole is drilled at the
wrong angle, or a pin is bent while being hammered into place, or the lock mechanism is not properly fitted, the entire knife needs to be scrapped. That is why most handmade slipjoint folders are so expensive and why inexpensive slipjoints and lockblades from China are mass produced by computer controlled machines rather than by hand. Every part in a slipjoint or lockbade needs to fit perfectly or the knife is unsafe or unusable. If you want to continue selling handmade folders at a low price you need to avoid use of the slipjoint mechanism altogether. The best option would be a "friction folder" which uses only a pivot and a tang extension similar to a razor. These are easier to make, they are a popular design, and far less can go wrong. So, my advice to you would be to get away from slipjoint folders entirely and stick with fixed blades. Also, take steps to find someone in the United States who is willing to purchase wholesale in bulk, or
accept bulk shipments to resell, because DHL is too costly.

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

thanks for your advice and guidance.
now tell me frankly that you interested in buying in bulk?i can make fixed blade in this design for you.if you willing to buy and want to do future work.please tell me so that we compensate each other and forget what happen in past.
if you interested then i can offer you discounted price and you can sell it in 100 or whatever.i can compensate you by offering the discounted price of this folding knife because i have stocks in my hand.

just relax and think about it,you have opportunity.

waiting

- royalstarknives

It looks like a couple of messages may have overlapped in the messaging system and vanished, because I do recall replying that I was not comfortable investing in his business and recommended he contact one of the other sellers of Punjab Damascus located in the US to distribute through them. I then began sending pics of the knife recieved with commentary.

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

sorry to say but you have really did unfair, you have damaged the entire knife. it was in perfect condition but you have tampered it and deface it. please return it and get your refund

- royalstarknives

Dear royalstarknives,

There is now a thread on bladeforums detailing this transaction. I tried my best to be fair and unbiased. I did not link to the eBay listing or disclose your username. Feel free to read and respond. Membership on bladeforums is FREE and it only takes a few moments to register and I strongly encourage you to join because you will learn a LOT from the many experts who will gladly share their skills and answer any questions. One word of advice though: you are not allowed to sell on bladeforums without a paid membership, and you are not allowed to post links to sale posts on eBay. Breaking the rules once will result in a warning, but if it happens again a user will be banned. It is a valuable resource and it is free. Experts, buyers, sellers, and makers from all over the world post there and it gets over a million hits a day. Here is the link to my review of the knife I received from an unnamed eBay seller in Punjab, Pakistan: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-in-recent-years-quot?p=13889097#post13889097

- tyr_shadowblade

Dear tyr_shadowblade,

dear sir, you have done really unfair by giving negative feed back. as you know that there was nothing wrong with the knife but you arrange all this drama to get refund and keep knife for free,

its totaly unethical.really realy a cheap thing.

- royalstarknives

Hi tyr_shadowblade,

We let the seller know the item wasn't as described. The seller offered you a partial refund of $25.00.

You can go to the Resolution Center to accept this offer. The seller will have 3 days to issue the refund. If you accept the offer, the case will be closed and you won't be eligible for an additional refund.

If you don't want to accept the seller's offer or if you have more questions, you can send the seller a message in the Resolution Center.

Refund information:
The seller offered a partial refund of $25.00.

Seller's note:
"i request you to accept this and resolve this issue"

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

Hi tyr_shadowblade,

The seller has responded to you and offered another solution to solve this issue.

Seller's message:

"dear sir, as you are very well aware that i want to resolve this issue with you because i believe in fair play in business,but it is regrettably said that you have committed unethical behaviour i have offered you few options to resolve this issue.My entire communication is the proof that i want to settle this issue.I have sent you the exact knife and it was in perfect condition when shipped but you have tempered it and intentionally damage it.however i am ready to refund you but you are requested to return the knife.because its unfair if you keep the knife and claim refund.You know that you intentionally did this because you want to keep the knife and also want refund also.if this knife is not up to your satisfaction then please return it to me and i refund your payment."

If you're satisfied with this solution, you can let the seller know by sending a message in the Resolution Center. If you don't want to accept this offer, we encourage you to send the seller a message with solution that you'd be happy with.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

Back