I Joined the Sifu Club!

Well I joined the Sifu club recently!
biggrin.gif

Thanks to Steve Harvey, I am the proud owner of #42/70 Sifu from the first batch. What can I say about the Sifu that hasn't been said before? I do know that no matter how many times you read the spec. sheet, it doesn't prepare you for the real thing! I whipped this boy out and thought "Holy $hit this thing is big". Perhaps the other remarkable thing I noticed about the Sifu is how comfortable the finger grooves are. It fits my hand much better than my Pocket Hobbit, this is a knife that says "Lead, Follow or get the F--K out of my Way". I love
this knife! Now if only the Pocket Hobbit was made a little larger Hmmmm.
biggrin.gif

------------------
A Pat on the Back is only a few inches from a Kick in the Butt.

A Pocket Hobbit the size of my Sifu. That's the SAME THING that I've been wishing for, as then it WOULD be a folding Hobbit Warrior!.

Bob...Are you listening???.
smile.gif

Easyrider,

Which Sifu did you get?
I have 2 "stonewashed", and both have the G-10 scales, and full finger-grooves...One in ATS-34, and the other in D-2. Both are excellent, and have forced my Cold Steel Vaquero Grande back into my knife-drawer.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Dann,
I have the green handled Bladeforums Sifu. I was under the impression that the first 70 production Sifu's were made for Bladeforums and numbered as such. It is not drilled for a pocket clip, marked "First Edition" and the REKAT logo is on the opposite of the blade from my Carnivore's, Cub's , Pioneer's and Pocket Hobbit. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bob Brothers handground the first 70 blades. I may very well be wrong, if so, will someone please set me straight. Did I say that I really like this knife?
smile.gif

------------------

biggrin.gif
Welcome to the Sifu Club Easyrider!
biggrin.gif

I've acquired several dozen one handed folders,(not bragging), but it's my Sifu that is in my right front pocket 90+% of the time.
I REALLY want to carry the others more often, but, when mega folder perfection is in your posession the others just seem kinda pale and insufficient by comparison.

I hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Good to see you here. The Sifu is the one knife in my collection that can't be "swapped out" for another.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

the SIFU is the best production fighter made imho.......hope ya enjoy yours - mine too, is 1 of 3 knives i have which are not for trade - my crawford kasper, and gerber mark11 i carried in the army are the others - have had the gerber since '70

sifu

Waaahh! I only have ONE! A D2 SE w/o fingergrooves. Now I'm wondering how a fingergrooved one would feel. Or if a carbon fiber one would be noticably lighter?

Anyone know how the CF Sifus compare to the one I have?

Karl

hi - i have handled all 3 - the CF model is not much lighter, havent wieghed them but by just holding in your hand they feel pretty much the same - oh maybe a little lighter but not like i expected(altough imho the SIFU in any form isnt heavy at all for the size - eg the CRKT kasper wieghs about the same, w/a much shorter blade, and the SIFU is cut out around the bottom, so that must decrease weight some too) - i have the grooveless version, my personal favorite, but had the grooved model too, traded it off to get the spec edition (finally got my cert of authentication from 1sks last wk - got the knife in feb, and didnt get 1 and been waiting...) so my fav is the spec edition - also like the black blade, not crazy about the stonewash, its ok like the black better - the CF i looked at seemed like the CF panels were placed over the G10, not all CF, or thats how the 1 i looked at looked like - if ya want 1 mike turber still has some of the spec edition 1's on for $119- cant beat that imho with a stick - i wouldnt sell mine for that lol - but they are great knives, try 1 you will not be dissapointed i promise - imho the best factory made self defense folder around, bar none (close seconds- the gunting, matriarch, BM AFCK all good too, just prefer SIFU for down and dirty work)...

SIFU

Welcome to the Sifu club. I love this knife. I tried to order one sometime back (carbon fiber) was told it was out. Thought I cancled the order, ordered a Stone washed blade. Carbon Fiber came in, got it 2. Then I saw a limited edition red handle black blade. Had to have it. I now have three and if my dream comes true hopefully they can someday come out with a blue handled version. I talked a friend into getting one, and he found a limited production green handle sifu with a black blade...way cool.
As for people not liking the stone washed blade, it grows on you. I find for an everyday cary knife the finish is perfect.

Centurian, I know what you mean about the red handle Sifu. I have two of the red handle Carnivores. I would love to get a red Sifu, #15 or #18 would be very nice! Those are the numbers I have now. I still can't get over how comfortable the knife is in my hand! REKAT, you guys and gals did good with this knife!
smile.gif

------------------

Easyrider, that green handled Sifu is junk & quite dangerous to use, I think you need to sell it to me at a severe loss for your own well being
biggrin.gif

Anyway, if you ever want to dump off one of your red Carni's drop me a line. I've been trying to find one that the person wasn't asking nearly $200 for. (I love REKAT's but it's not worth that much)

Safety Guy, to my knowledge REKAT has only ever used G-10 with a layer of Carbon Fiber laminated on top of it. That's how my CF Carnivour is and all the others I've seen. So I don't think there is a weight advantage, just appearance. My CF Carni was too well polished for my taste so I took the glare of with some 600 grit and it's perfect now
smile.gif

SIFU1A If you like the Gunting, you'll love the REKAT Escalator. I saw a guy selling a REKAT "Gunting" a while ago so I did some research and posted a thread here to dig up some info. REKAT had the rights to the design and made it for a while as the Escalator. Then they sold the design rights to Spyderco. Spyderco did improve on it in many ways but for my money I'll take the rolling lock any day.

Anyway, I traded the guy for it and really like the knife. I ordered a thumb stud for it and plan to re-work the action and re-profile the handle a little but over all it's great.

I'd reccomend hunting one down if you like the knife and want a Rolling Lock on it.

Centurian IMO a stonewashed finish is perfect for an EDC. It hides the scratches, doesn't smudge and from my experience is more stain resistant than satin blades in ATS-34. I'm constantly getting stains on my ATS-34 BM705 and never on my SW pieces.

Sorry for the wind bag approach but there's so much good stuff to comment on
smile.gif

------------------
Banner.JPG

[This message has been edited by cpirtle (edited 06-12-2001).]

cpirtle, I have long been a fan of the rolling lock and of REKAT's products, in general, but I find your comments on the Escalator both puzzling and somewhat bothersome. I have a Gunting which I bought, not for its martial arts abilities which are useless to an arthritic old man such as myself, but for its ergodynamics, which are of considerable benefit to me as a user of a utility knife. I have found the Gunting to be smooth in the extreme and the compression lock to be secure as any rolling lock or axis lock. If you think that it is only a modified liner lock, think again, it may look like that, but it is a very long way from that. I cannot describe the differences as I am no engineer and could not even describe the rolling lock completely, let alone the compression lock, but I suspect that you have created a straw man out of it.

The bottom line is that the Gunting has a lock as solid any and the rest of the knife is very refined.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

The brown truck just brought my new SIFU (D2 with green G10 scales).I've looked and lusted for several years,and finally had to get one to go with my Carnivour.It seems to be everything you guys have said! No apparent quality control problems at first glance.Fairly sharp out of the tube, much sharper now after a few minutes with the Sharpmaker, I think all I need is a good belt sheath. Any recommendations? I want open top, tip down, slight forward cant. I want to be able to grab the top (pivot)part and draw directly into a sabre grip.Who is making it now? I prefer not having to send my knife if at all possible.Thanks!

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934
"Always just ONE knife short of perfection".

AlaChoctaw: I would like to add a green sifu to the family (black, carbon fiber, and red)
smile.gif
If I may ask, where did you find green?

i have been assured, by no less an authority than bram frank, that the new gunting is head and shoulders above the old 1 - compared it to a shelby cobra vs a dodge viper - he said that he would want the REKAT version for collecting purposes only - actually he seems like a really good old guy - we have been exchanging an email now and again about knives, training, texas, etc - but anyway, i guess he would know, he designed both of them - i still wouldnt mind having a REKAT in excellent shape for the collection, though.....alichoctaw, easyrider congratulations - you now own, imho, the best factory made fighting folder on the planet - 1 of the few knives i have bought that, upon opening the box, i had absolutly no regrets/dissapointments - a GREAT knife, 1 of the best....i have really enjoyed mine to the max, carry it daily when biking...a spec edition black blade smooth handle - I LOVE IT - its my baby still, even after i got my new custom crawford - love the kasper, but just something about that SIFU.....

sifu

[This message has been edited by SIFU1A (edited 06-14-2001).]

Centurian, I got mine in black D2 and green handles from Knife Outlet. Somehow Fred got it to me in about 48 hours from time of order!

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934

Clyde, my check is on the way to Mike for a SIFU sheath.It's been quite a while since he made them for my Carnivour and Pioneer II, and they have changed quite a bit since then. The one I ordered is almost identical to yours.Thanks for the info.James

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934

I *still* have only one Sifu. Fortunately, it's Sifu #1
smile.gif

Been semi-broke for a while now...it's temporary, and when over I'll score a fingergroove/G10 D2.

Jim

I never said the Spyerdco was bad, I even said they improved on it in many ways over REKAT.

What I did say is that I like the Rolling Lock better, I've had both and still prefer the rolling lock. As for me thinking it is a modififed liner lock I don't know how you read that from what I wrote. I know fully well what a compression lock is.

As for the fighting capabilities of the knife, I don't plan to fight with mine so it makes no difference to me.

I also saw Bram Frank's description of the Gunting Vs. The Escalator and echo'd the statement that there were many improvements over REKAT's design. Again, I said I prefer the Rolling Lock.

The only statement I made is that if you want a Gunting but like the Rolling Lock, hunt down an Escalator.

I think you guys are reading too much into what I said and adding things I never said.

If you like REKAT's, the Escalator is made identical to every other folder they have out with the exception of the blade and handle design. As all early REKAT's and by REKAT's own admission, their quality has gotten better in recent years but ultimately the design is still the same.

nuff said.

Back