I need a new head light for work ( already found one )

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
The thread has already served it's purpose and I bought a Fenix based on recommendations, but I'll leave the thread open in case somebody else is looking for a headlight.

I'm looking for something rechargeable that can at least do 200-300 lumens for 2 hours.
I'd like to spend under $100
I prefer something that can clip to a hat bill, but a headband is okay as long as I can angle/ aim the light beyond just moving my hat.
And ideally something that has minimal modes, no strobe...etc but I can live with such things if I have to.

I have been using 2 cheap Nebo Mycro head lights that I bought at the hardware store, but after about 1.5-2yr they finally broke. ( the clip / base broke off )
temporarily I'll probably have to just grab another one to get by with, but I'm looking for something better.

Last edited:
Can’t go wrong with Fenix. I have one of their headlamps too.

65R

The specs on that fenix are ideal, but with how it attaches to the headband via the clip, there's no way to aim it or adjust the angle it's pointing at.
That's an important requirement because it'll be worn over my hat which I don't take off because I have a bump cap insert in it that specifically comes into play when I'm doing the work I use the headlight for.
I almost didn't catch that and was going to order it because everything else seems about right , but I think I'll have to keep looking.

The specs on that fenix are ideal, but with how it attaches to the headband via the clip, there's no way to aim it or adjust the angle it's pointing at.
That's an important requirement because it'll be worn over my hat which I don't take off because I have a bump cap insert in it that specifically comes into play when I'm doing the work I use the headlight for.
I almost didn't catch that and was going to order it because everything else seems about right , but I think I'll have to keep looking.
actually if you wear it with the included headband, the holder allows the flashlight to rotate up or down to adjust the angle, The metal clip that the flashlight snaps into allows the flashlight to be rotated.

Last edited:
Both of the models linked above can be aimed, the 65 is hinged at the bottom (to aim down)…but the 65 doesn’t work well with a ball cap. If you have a hat without a bill, it will work great.

The weird top strap will come off. Mine was removed on the first day.

You might also look at Milwaukee and Klein. They make professional grade lights which will go the distance.
My daughter uses a Milwaukee headlamp on her hard hat. She's been real pleased with it.
I recommend Klein mostly because I know they make them, and I've never purchased a bum Klein tool.

Pelican do straight up miners lights. Which are designed for that kind of thing.

I have their 90degree torch which is a beast.

And rechargeable batteries.

If none of the Fenix models work for your uses Black Diamond has several models of headlamps, you should be able to find one that suits your needs. And most all are adjustable.

All my handheld lights are from Malkoff...but my headlamp is a Nitecore and it has been reliable daily for several years, at least once a day, and often twice a day during the fall and winter. Worth a look to see if they have something to your liking.

In a pinch... they sell the elastic band style head lamps at the Dollar Tree for 1.25 usd each. They take 3 AAA batteries, so they're not rechargeable, but the batteries can also be bought there in packs of 8 for 1.25 usd each.

The head lamps have 3 settings: regular, low, and blinking (for visibility). It's not the best head lamp in the world, but for 1.25 usd it's hard to beat. There is no directionality to the beam though. That's the main issue. It will light up a dark space, but you won't get a spot light focused on a specific area. You just get general illumination. Also the lamp will slowly get dimmer as the battery runs out.

It's just an option that I'm throwing out there in case you need something right away. Like I said, for a dollar and twenty-five cents, it's pretty hard to beat. Since they're so cheap, I have several of them stashed away in case of an emergency or something, and I have one hanging by the door that I actually use pretty regularly. If something happens to it then I'm not going to be too torn up about it. I'll just crack another one open.

It's just an option that I'm throwing out there in case you need something right away
I have a cheap 2AA headlight around that I'll probably try for now until the fenix I ordered arrives, but I do not expect it to be very adequate because I need at least 200 lumems.

princeton tec should have something to fit your needs. u.s. made and a well established reputation. unfortunately their holiday sale just ended.

I replaced my "died suddenly" TK16 Acebeam with this smaller Armytek. I can recommend both.
20231211-125703.jpg

Over the past week and a half I have been very happy with the Fenix I bought based on recommendations here.
The light output and runtime are exactly what I was looking for.

Back