• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

I need help, skilled craftsman!

Hello!

I'm planning out making myself and two other friends knives. I have a design in mind, and I'm pretty determined to get it done. Unfortunately, I don't live on my parents farm anymore, and I don't have room or access to tools to do all the work myself. I can get my knife blanks profiled to the shape I want, but I'm not confident I can grind the bevels, and I don't have the tools to heat treat. Basically, I'm looking for a person or business that I can hire to do those two steps for me!

More details... I want to use either A2 or W2 tool steel, the knives will be a simple Tanto design, and I want a straight grind for the edge bevels. (a heavy duty survival/utility knife) I'll be making some wood handles for them when they're done.

feel free to comment on my design. Nothings finalized yet.

In closing... I would like to know if anyone on this site either knows someone or is someone who can edge grind and heat treat my three knives for me, and if possible, how much that would cost. (approx.)

Thank you all! I appreciate it!

Terry S

Why not get you a file and sand paper and learn how to do it your self. There are lots of us here that can do the grinding and heat treating for you but if your wanting to learn how to make knives then try it your self. It's a general rule not to discuss business deals on the forum. This type of business is better discussed over email. You can look in the services offered section and see if there is anyone there that can help you out. Like I said most of us "blade smiths" here can help you out. I do heat treating for forum members but right now it's on hold becaus I'm currently building a new shop. There are lots of other company's that do it as well. Most of the knife making supply company's also do heat treating.

I say your best bet is to try your hand at doing the blade and then have the blade heat treated for you. But if all your after is a good knife and you don't care about learning how to make knives then your money is better spent buying a good production knife.

Terry, welcome to Shop Talk. Here is where you discuss knife designs, manufacturing, materials and suppliers. However, you can not solicit sales or business here. There is a place in The Exchange for that.

Moved to "Services Wanted"

Back