I need some honest answers...

I was talking to a guy yesterday and I pulled out my Case Lrg. Trapper. He was impressed with the quality, opened it and said, "I don't like it because it doesn't lock." He then proceeded with a story about how he once folded a slipjoint on his fingers and never used one since. My first reaction was, "Buddy, your supposed to use the slippies with the sharp end down." How do people use slipjoints to where they close on Their fingers? Seriously. This always amazes me when I hear stories like this. Never happened to me. Though I have had accidents opening multiple blades to display a knife when not being used, but never fold one on my fingers. Ever happen to any of you serious slippie users?

I can't imagine that. Even when I was very young, I carried a Texas toothpick/fisherman's knife or a scout/camp or a jack knife. I whittled, played mumblypeg, and cut up paper and cardboard for crafts. I don't recall ever being tempted to stab anything, and I closed them the way I close slippies now, by riding the blade all the way back in.

On the other hand, I have cut myself in more recent years, mostly with fixed blades, and it hasn't stopped me from using those knives. I'm just not as airheaded about it. :)

Anytime I cut myself with a slip joint I'm just checking to see if I'm still stupid. It's always something I did , not the knife. Most of the time you cut yourself it's the other hand anyway.

Anytime I cut myself with a slip joint I'm just checking to see if I'm still stupid. It's always something I did , not the knife. Most of the time you cut yourself it's the other hand anyway.

If it closes on you.....

You should of just said, " IF you were using it properly it would have NOT done that."
They would NOT have made millions of them and still make them if they were a defective knife. :)
All knives are dangerous IF used improperly. - ;)

Todd

A locking blade is like a safety on a gun.

An accessory to assist stupid people to get hurt.

Both have a purpose. Neither can replace common sense.

Fran

If it closes on you.....

You should of just said, " IF you were using it properly it would have NOT done that."
They would NOT have made millions of them and still make them if they were a defective knife. :)
All knives are dangerous IF used improperly. - ;)

Todd

+1 on that perfect response.

Some folks believe that anything that happens to them must be somebody else's fault. The thought that they themselves might have done something wrong never enters their head.

As dangerous as these infernal contraptions are, it's truly a wonder our Grandfathers had any fingers left at all... :rolleyes:

I closed a lockblade on my finger once. Never a slip joint though. It was all my fault. No, I don't want to explain what kind of stupidity I was performing that led to my injury.

I can understand some people not wanting to carry a slip joint. I don't have a problem with that. If he honestly believes it was the knifes fault and not his own, you won't convince him otherwise.

SDS

I had one close on my finger when I was a kid. Can't remember exactly when, but I wasn't even 10 yet. I was using it to dig a hole in a piece of wood, the point caught and that was that. The memory of laying in bed that night feeling my pointer finger throb is still very vivid. On the plus side, I've haven't done anything like that since.

It didn't stop me from using slipjoints either. The fault was mine, not the tool's. When you try and push a tool past its safety limits and get bit, the fault is yours alone. On the other hand, I don't have any problems with locks on a knife. In fact, I like them. Especially a liner lock on a slip joint and lockbacks. The trick is to remember that its still a folding knife and will still happily bite you.

Leo

I had one close on my finger when I was a kid. Can't remember exactly when, but I wasn't even 10 yet...
It didn't stop me from using slipjoints either. The fault was mine, not the tool's.

This is it exactly.

I've done it as a kid...because I didn't do what we learned in Cub Scouts. A lock is there to help prevent injury in case of a mistake on your part...no guarrantees included.

I once had a 1hp buffer grab a kabar muskrat and snap it shut (or as far as it would go into my finger) still have the scar 20 years later. Never had anything bad happen when it was the knife fault. ("I was cleanin the thing and it went off!) LOL
Ken.

Using slippies, you are obliged to use the knife safely, if not the knife will close on you.

When folk use knives that lock, they begin to skip the basic safety rules, so when they use a slip lock and also skip the basic rules, the knife bites them...

Naughty knife

I've never had 'em fold on me, only my left had has a few scars that show my learning curve :D

Peter

One story 'bout that though, a friend of mine 'spine whacked' one of my sodbusters once, before I could stop him. He did some serious cussing afterwards.

I cut myself with a slippy folding over on me. It was a long time ago, and it was my fault. In addition to being embarrased by my own dimwit behavior, Mr. Van smacked me on the back of my head and yelled at me. "Good one, bonehead! Now I have to explain to you're old man how I let you be this dumb on my watch!"

He was pretty ticked at me. But I never made that mistake again.

He was impressed with the quality, opened it and said, "I don't like it because it doesn't lock." He then proceeded with a story about how he once folded a slipjoint on his fingers and never used one since.

Yeah, and I bet he thinks it's the guns fault that somebody got shot too

I have cut myself with a knife but never because a slip joint accidentally closed on me. Maybe this guy didn't have a Pop or Gramps to show him how knives are meant to be used.

Though I have had accidents opening multiple blades to display a knife when not being used, but never fold one on my fingers. Ever happen to any of you serious slippie users?

Never. I've cut myself, sure. But I've never cut myself by folding the blade over.

When you try and push a tool past its safety limits and get bit, the fault is yours alone. On the other hand, I don't have any problems with locks on a knife.

A thousand amens.

One other point I wanted to make, guys: I am confident in saying that - in the history of mankind - no knife has ever folded over on someone's fingers. Remember, knives are inanimate objects.

I've had stitches twice from the stupid use of knives. Both were locking knives. Maybe I should quit using lockers.

Back