I think I need a Spyderco...

Thanks for all the input on this. I am quite excited to begin my journey with Spyderco. I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the Delica 4. To me, it is the classic Spyderco.

Now, to search for some wood scales. I will definitely be watching some vids first.

I am pretty sure the Spyopera will be next, and soon. You can tell it is a Spyderco, but you can also tell its something else. Spyderco/lionSTEEL did a great job!

As the title suggests, I think I need a Spyderco. For two reasons. 1. I want to buy a new knife. 2. I don't own a Spyderco. I could be wrong, but I think those two statements clear up why I think I need a Spyderco.

So, a little about me/my tastes to help you all make so solid recommendations:

1. I am a very light user. No hard use. Food prep, cutting string, opening packages, etc. Knives are very useful tools, so even though I am a very light user, I would like the knife to be able to "step up" a bit if the situation calls for it.

2. I prefer traditional(ish) knives...slipjoints and lockbacks in natural handles like curly birch, olive wood etc. I do have a Fallkniven GP in wood that I love that has a bit of a traditional flavor, even though it is a liner lock. But, I am not looking for a Spyderco slipjoint.

3. I would most likely want to have it re-handled with a nice/exotic wood (if that can be done). I would also have the clip removed, I don't like using pocket clips.

4. I prefer 2.5 to 3 inch blades.

5. I do not "chase" super steels, but I am not against them.

6. I would like for it to have a nice smooth action, maybe on washers.

7. Country of origin is not necessarily important, but I will not buy one made in either China or Taiwan (please don't turn this into a discussion about China).

I think that just about covers everything. So, what do you all suggest?
Get a Gayle Bradley 2 with Cruwear steel from BHQ and then you can upgrade the scales. Its everything you describe sans wood scales.

If you search you can find many examples where folks have added wood scales.

Edited to add that I just read the entire thread. Good choice!

Oh, decisions, decisions. Might downgrade the Delica to the regular model. Upon further review, I don't think I'm all that excited about Pakkawood, it is a man made product afterall.

Still pondering what to do. I am pretty sure I at least need one classic Spyderco, and the Delica 4 seems to fit the bill just fine. Probably gonna pass on the Pakkawood. I can upgrade to custom scales whenever. VG10 steel will probably be fine, but I may upgrade to the K390, just not sure yet.

As far as the Spyopera, I am such a sucker for lionSTEEL knives. This is so tempting.
Spyopera is a very classy looking knife, its my special occasion carry. You should really try Spydercos K390- my Stretch 2 LW ( with the edge taken down to 15dps ) cuts through cardboard like a light saber through a ewok and just keeps going and going.

...This may not end well.

LOL I just got my first Spyderco about 6 months ago (chasing steel...in my case, Maxamet) and then of course I had to get another one in a tougher steel (Cru-Wear) to save the Maxamet for surgical duties, then I got a hankering for some M4 ... and 6 months later I now have close to $1k invested in Spydercos...abandon all hope, ye who enter here LOL!

Best of luck with your new Spyderco...they're very nice knives.

Back